Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Back Story...

This past weekend, without warning (lights, performance, etc.) my engine just died in traffic. I had enough power/momentum to get off the road, however the engine failed to restart and sounded 'starved' for fuel.

As it turned out, the culprit was the Crank Position Sensor, which I replaced with a Hella unit($60). If you'd like to avoid the downtime as well as the cold rush of s#*t to your heart when the engine quits, replace that sensor between 50-60K...especially if it's the original Bosch.

Bob

·
Greek God of the R129
8,364 Posts
Sounds like a plan!!! Where is it located on the engine? How long to change it? Thanks!!!
Hey drags take it easy.
What is going on, you are a fighter.
Get you old tools out and measure I think is ac voltage O.3.
Or better take out and ck for cracks worn, etc.
Use a large screwdriver on the magnet on off, to do the trick. :)
Come on, do I have to tell you bro? ;)
If I know half of what you forgot I will be a head.
You know what I am talking about. LOL.
I think is next to the starter.
Not easily accessible, but what is, now days.

Regards.
aam.

PS.
It must be cold in Maine. Hahaha.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like a plan!!!

Where is it located on the engine? Driver's side, rear of engine. Held in place by M6x16 screw; you'll see the cable connection to CAN

How long to change it? Thanks!!!
Less than 30 minutes-requires Star Diagnosis Reinitialization

From what I've learned (the hard way) these fail generally due to heat and prior to failure will most likely not show any warning indications...they just fail. The impact of failure of the CPS is to shut off the fuel pump so fuel pressure is lost making the engine quit. It is possible that if you let the engine cool down, it may start again, but if so, you're on borrowed time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts