Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

For those with over 1000 miles. How much oil do you use?

• none

Votes: 23 67.6%
  • 1/4 qt. per 1000 miles

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • 1/2 qt. per 1000 miles

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • 1 qt. per 1000 miles

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • more than gas

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets see where we stand. This is for the 350 only (we could doone for the 55 but I don't think anyone haas had oil probelms with it) adn after break-in.

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dbslk - 4/25/2005 4:17 PM

over 13k miles and no oil.
Next thing to note would be the date the car was made. The engine could be made at any time but maybe these oil burning 350s were all made from the same batch of (bad) engines.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
using this name - 4/25/2005 2:32 PM

I thought we were not to touch the oil?

**shrug** ...but I could very well be misunderstanding.....[:p]
I think several people are finding that their cars are burning quite a bit of oil during the break in period and well before the 13000 mile oil change and are having to add some oil.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Snowball - 4/25/2005 2:50 PM

Next thing to note would be the date the car was made. The engine could be made at any time but maybe these oil burning 350s were all made from the same batch of (bad) engines.
1300 miles and no oil (although it it really hard to tell on that dipstick!).

My car was built January 2005.

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
159 Posts
I never check my oil...I should probably be ashamed of myself.

besides just checking it here and there just for the sake of checking, what would some other signs be that it may need to be checked, changed, looked at or brought in for service?

Just hearing in one of those posts about bad batch of engines makes my insides crawl! I would have no clue where to read when my engine was built.....can I look somewhere in particular?

You guys rock, thanks so much for all of your insight. I love this place already and all of you have already been so very helpful.

·
Registered
SLK350
67 Posts
Malfunction low oil warning at 2500 miles and added 1 quart. Added another quart at 5000 miles when levels went below the lo mark.

·
Registered
SL55 AMG/SLK 350
211 Posts
Snowball - 4/26/2005 10:50 PM

I don't remember the build date but the car came in mid November so I guess it was built around end of Sept/start-mid Oct.

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well not much data to go on here yet but I would take a guess that MB had a batch of bad parts causing the 350 to use oil (after brake-in) in about 25% of the cars. That's a lot!

·
Registered
'06 SLK55
831 Posts
Maybe its not a batch of bad engines, but rather how aggressive someone drives. I took it fairly easy up to 700miles, than my foot became heavier and heavier. However, even from the start, I varied the rpm's. For example, if I was cruising down the highway, I would place it in 4th occasionally just to have the revs up around 4k. Many people recommend various rpm's during breakin, as do I.

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dsb - 4/26/2005 9:00 AM

Maybe its not a batch of bad engines, but rather how aggressive someone drives. I took it fairly easy up to 700miles, than my foot became heavier and heavier. However, even from the start, I varied the rpm's. For example, if I was cruising down the highway, I would place it in 4th occasionally just to have the revs up around 4k. Many people recommend various rpm's during breakin, as do I.
That is recommened by all car mfgrs that I know of. They say something like, "Do not travel at the same speed for long periods of time"

I too did as you did except I waited until very close to 1000 miles to get "heavier". I don't think we will ever get the info here to make the conclusion of improper break-in but seating the rings, etc. is the main reason for a break-in period.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
The Mobile 1 website seems to recommend Mobile 1 Extended Performance over just the Mobile 1 for cars still under warranty and with longer oil change times.

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Extended_Performance_FAQs.aspx

Has anyone tried this oil? Do you think it would be OK in place of the Mobile 1?

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Only 19 votes?!? Come on lets see who is using oil and who is not. We need to find out how big a problem this is.

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
Not sure if I got my maths right. 3 litres = a bit over 3 quarts in 2500 miles. Thats over 1 quart per mile! Seeing everyone elses results is a worry, can't believe there is anything wrong with my baby, but then neither did MadMaxSLK.

·
Registered
SLK350
475 Posts
I have 1900 miles and the oil level is near the full mark. Once I checked it too soon after shutting down and it seemed a bit lower, but checking it an hour after hot shut down, it seems OK so far.

Mine was built in mid November, '04.

Roberta[:)]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts