Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice my car motor possesing a light ticking noise. Similar to that of a diesel engine only a lot lighter. Is this normal for a mercedes engine? If not I want to make sure it is taken care of while still under warranty. It has been my experience that dealers tend to assume if it runs fine, then it's alright. Please let me know what you all think about this. Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bib,<br> <br> i haven't experience with any engine noise yet with my '99 320. But i do have front seats noise that drove me crazy that was just fixed recently. Hope you can resolve your problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Re: for those of you who have a 320, question about the sound of the motor.

I have a '01 430 Coupe and notice the same noise. I have not had it looked at by the dealer yet but I do recall reading about the problem on mbworld.org that others have experienced same with their cars. If I remembered correctly, it has something to do with the valve lifters. I recommend that you have it looked at since I will take my in for service soon and will definitely mention it. Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my clk 320m makes a light ticking noise also,,but then again its not normal,,,you have bitch at the dealer's service advisors to get things done.they will not take you seriously if you dont,,and your right about them,,they always tend assume that everything is fine,,thats because they do not want to fix uncommon problem because it will affect their profit,,they will only fix it if it is common,,,and also those idiots didnt blow of 60k on a clk .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Get your valve lifters replaced!!! My service department will finally replace mine.

is the light ticking noise due to a harsh break in? and if i got mine fixed, how long would it take?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the ticking you are talking about in my 320 (more)

I had my service advisor (who is very good about getting things done for me, extra keys etc...)listen and he said that the light ticking is normal in the 320 (although I do not think it is normal). I think it does have to do with a harsh breakin period. He said if it was the lifters it would not be a light tick but a very loud one. He said they have had to replace lifters on 430's but never on a 320. Next time I am there I will ask to get a tech to listen. My car goes in on Monday to have the ignition reprogrammed (they locked out my #1 key slot somehow ordering the wrong # key)I will post what I find out next week. I have never been anything but nice to my service advisor and he is very helpful. They did my suspension and are giving me a free alignment.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's most noticible when the car is first started for about 3-5 seconds. From what little I know....

mechanically, I assume that noise is cause by lack of oil circulation in critical parts of the motor. This, from what I understand, is the time when most damage is done to a motor. Am I correct?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I noticed mine ticking today at startup. Im going to pay more attention to it to see if I can figure

where its coming from.<br> <br> My guess is that its nothing to worry about, but now you've got me wondering :)<br> <br>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a similar problem. When I start the car after it has been sitting for a while, there is a loud, long rattle sound coming from the engine department. I have brought it to the attention of the service department several times. First they said that they didn't hear it. The last time, they replaced some part and claimed it was fixed. Of course, when I got it home (after 3 days at the shop - also for the 'check engine light') - the problem returned. It seems that the service guys just can't fix these annoying problems (I've had this problem for 18 months!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts