Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLK230
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my car back when Bruce Rector admin'ed the site...Tony from So MD hung out here and Bazzle was our "guru" and trusted advisor.......

I bought mine with 7500 miles on it, a lease car local to me in Feb of '06

Random thoughts:

1.Let's see, other then the ignition key cylinder, and a mis-installed tranny cable I haven't broken anything.
2. My PSI acted up due to clogged drains back on '05 right after I bought it....dried it out, bagged it up, flipped it over, reinstalled and never thought again about it.
3. The original battery lasted 9 years!
4. My car retains it's original MAF.
5. I bought the ASP crank pulley soon after buying my car, I also added a remapping generated from a guy in Germany, huge difference for a grand!
6. Water pump began weeping so it was replaced somewhere around 140,000 I think. An idler pulley bearing died around the same time.
7. Nothing other has broken, I bought it fully loaded and every switch, every bulb, every feature works as it should. I use my roof all the time, original(I added oil once to the reservoir).
8. I have run 0-40 Mobile 1 forever, changing when it turns color.
9. Michelin Ultra-high performance tires allow me to take many exit ramps at 60-80 mph w/o any tire squealing if I choose however switching to Yokohama's very best all-seasons instantly cost 20mph in those same corners.
10. My car has been so much fun to drive that I spent a couple grand last winter having the suspension and motor/tranny mounts replaced.....2300 well spent dollars after 15 year of happiness!

I also have been driving Ford Expeditions for 20 years.....and have owned three of them. My first, a '99 rusted out at 224K miles. My second lost the tranny at 150-160K or so. My present is a '17 Lmtd model with twin turbos on the 3.5engine. It now has 97,000 trouble-free miles & original tires. I know the tire are worn, I'm going to call today but the point is, today's cars/trucks are extremely well made compared to those of the past. A bit of love as far as maintenance can go a long, long way....but still unlikely to last as long as a well-cared for Mercedes.

jeff

·
Registered
1998 , SLK 230
357 Posts
My experience has been pretty much the same over the past 15 odd years. My only drama was when rain got into a sensor in the passenger seat, which triggered the blowing out of an accident damage prevention relay in the charging system , limp mode home etc. A Chinese copy of Carsoft 7.4 and soldering a wire bridge across the relay fixed that.
I'm now getting spots of clearcoat lifting in the paint but it's not really noticeable unless you look hard.
Compared to my 1993 GM-Holden Statesman 5 litre ,the SLK is a model of reliability and low cost motoring.
Checked the roof operation yesterday and it's still perfect but I maintain it in accordance with the service recommendations in the sticky's and exercise it at least every month or so.

·
Registered
'01 SLK230,'93 190E 2.3, 1971 LS5 Corvette Convertible
2,225 Posts
Kudos to both of you, good to hear positive SLK experiences, especially since we're always dealing with various problems on forums. I would put my 20 year SLK230 ownership in the same positive category. Purchased my 2001 SLK230 new and it's been great car to drive, it's always been garaged, and 0w-40 Mobil 1 oil/filter change every 5K miles. I had Top Hydraulics rebuild the 5 cylinders this past January, currently has 79K miles.
Only driven a couple of miles since then and really should sell it, 3 cars and 1 driver, so it needs to go to a good home. Hope to read more positive ownership experiences, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1998 , SLK 230
357 Posts
Kudos to both of you, good to hear positive SLK experiences, especially since we're always dealing with various problems on forums. I would put my 20 year SLK230 ownership in the same positive category. Purchased my 2001 SLK230 new and it's been great car to drive, it's always been garaged, and 0w-40 Mobil 1 oil/filter change every 5K miles. I had Top Hydraulics rebuild the 5 cylinders this past January, currently has 79K miles.
Only driven a couple of miles since then and really should sell it, 3 cars and 1 driver, so it needs to go to a good home. Hope to read more positive ownership experiences, thanks for sharing.

View attachment 2651024

View attachment 2651024
In less than 3 years mine will be eligible for very cheap historic registration plates and insurance. I'll probably go that way as I know the car's full history and it's a good city runabout. My plan is to have a FWD Landcruiser and be a fully fledged touring Grey Nomad by then, big 4WD's are painful to drive & park in major cities.

·
Registered
'01 SLK230,'93 190E 2.3, 1971 LS5 Corvette Convertible
2,225 Posts
In less than 3 years mine will be eligible for very cheap historic registration plates and insurance. I'll probably go that way as I know the car's full history and it's a good city runabout. My plan is to have a FWD Landcruiser and be a fully fledged touring Grey Nomad by then, big 4WD's are painful to drive & park in major cities.
Hi Mike, I have classic car insurance on both my 2001 SLK230 and my 1971 Corvette LS5 Convertible. They both have full coverage and an agreed insured amount in case of total loss, insurance is substantially less than regular insurance coverage. My daily driver SUV has regular insurance coverage.

·
Registered
1998 , SLK 230
357 Posts
Hi Mike, I have classic car insurance on both my 2001 SLK230 and my 1971 Corvette LS5 Convertible. They both have full coverage and an agreed insured amount in case of total loss, insurance is substantially less than regular insurance coverage. My daily driver SUV has regular insurance coverage.
That's the way to go. I really don't want to sell the SLK, it's been a good car with a timeless design.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts