Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

For sale opinion

3795 75
Likely going to put my car up for sale in the spring. My guess it will go on BAT as the best place. Here is where I coukd use help. I know many of you watch the market and BAT so know prices. I have a pretty good idea of what I should set the reserve but ask your opinions. Simply send me a pm.

My car has 103,000 miles and is from CA. Absolutely no rust ever. That means pristine rear window area, batt box etc. i would also say I basically replaced or rebuilt every part on car. Trans, water pump, radiator, springs, fdu, cruise, steering sector, rear 1/2 shafts, bearings front end yada yada. I have a list of those things but its just too numerous To list. I also have a lot of AMG items like front spoiler, rear spoiler, side skirts etc
I would say this would be more dependable than a 30,000 mile garage queen but those are wanted by a special class of buyers.

Thanks
Reactions: ianrandom
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

· Registered
1994 e320 Convertible
42 Posts
Likely going to put my car up for sale in the spring. My guess it will go on BAT as the best place. Here is where I coukd use help. I know many of you watch the market and BAT so know prices. I have a pretty good idea of what I should set the reserve but ask your opinions. Simply send me a pm.

My car has 103,000 miles and is from CA. Absolutely no rust ever. That means pristine rear window area, batt box etc. i would also say I basically replaced or rebuilt every part on car. Trans, water pump, radiator, springs, fdu, cruise, steering sector, rear 1/2 shafts, bearings front end yada yada. I have a list of those things but its just too numerous To list. I also have a lot of AMG items like front spoiler, rear spoiler, side skirts etc
I would say this would be more dependable than a 30,000 mile garage queen but those are wanted by a special class of buyers.

Thanks
I have sold hundreds and hundreds of cars on BAT.

Also, if you knew bruce_m who was very well known both here and on BaT, he was my friend for decades and business partner the last 5 to 7 years of his life.

On a 100k mile car, in order for it to do really well, documentation is key. If you have owned it for a long time and have a nice cache of records that will go a long long way. Presenting it well is the other thing I suggest. I use professionals photographers to shoot for all my auctions, I highly suggest you do that too. Make some high quality videos. Cold Start, walk around, top activation up and down, showing everything working, and a drive video.

The market is a little soft right now but given this is not an expensive and and its been owned by an enthusiast, there is no reason you can not get a good price for it. There will be several weeks wait once you've submitted everything.

If you have any questions doing it, send me a message, I am very happy to point you in the right direction.

· Registered
1993 320 CE
38 Posts
If the sell it on BAT you would be better off taking all after market parts off it, BAT buyers seems to pay a premium for original cars, the anoraks will pick it for everything not original. My thoughts are to sell all the parts in a separate sale on BAT if they will accept them as a sale, your return will be much better.

· Registered
1994 e320 Convertible
42 Posts
If the sell it on BAT you would be better off taking all after market parts off it, BAT buyers seems to pay a premium for original cars, the anoraks will pick it for everything not original. My thoughts are to sell all the parts in a separate sale on BAT if they will accept them as a sale, your return will be much better.
If it was a low miles garage queen collector car I would agree with you. On a car like this which has been well cared for but has miles most of them wont have any effect on the auction.

· Registered
1994 e320 Convertible
42 Posts
One of the biggest keys is also setting realistic expectations. If you ask for a high reserve you probably wont get it.

I also suggest being overly active on the auction and addressing everything.

I am also happy to post some positive comments, I have a massive following on BaT.

· Registered
1981 300SD, 1976 300D
1,038 Posts
With respect we need to drive more and worry about accumulated miles less! I just lost an immaculate 15 year old 997 to Hurricane Ian so my being so proud of the 22000 miles driven in that time is a waste!
Not driving your car is like not not sleeping with your wife, saving her for the next guy!
Me and my much beloved 268k 380SL and 231k BMW 540i heartily approve this message.

Reactions: slownrusty

· Registered
1994 e320 Convertible
42 Posts
HowS what’s your BAT seller name ? Sounds like you have some cars I’m
Might be interested in
I have quite a few cars in my pipeline right now. I have been laying low the last 10 days. I am going to start rolling them out in Feb. Several 911's, a number of impossibly low miles vintage Benz's, E9 coupe, W220 S65, I am going to sell my 45k mile 1 owner W124 cabrio, couple of XKE's and a bevvy of other stuff. Have a spur live now, a Scout coming and a 300CE starting this week.

· CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
50,142 Posts
THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES. SOME PICS
The wheels shouldn't be an issue. The for our cars specific 11 offset AMG Aero I have a starting with '126' parts number.
Drivers seat, the upright side bolster near the door usually gets the most wear. I would recommend including another seat pic, plus of course a front view.

· Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
2,222 Posts
With respect we need to drive more and worry about accumulated miles less! I just lost an immaculate 15 year old 997 to Hurricane Ian so my being so proud of the 22000 miles driven in that time is a waste!
Not driving your car is like not not sleeping with your wife, saving her for the next guy!
Love it. It's the truth!

That's the key of having a really great car. DRIVE-IT. For years I drive by what appears to be a great store that sells BBQ's, Spa's etc. I assume the long time owner drives a fairly new Ferrari to work every day. He had a Red one for a couple of years and now has a 2022 green one. I applaud the man. He bought the car for what it is, what he likes and by no means presenting himself in a category
of "look what I have". He bought a "Bad Ass" car and drives it. He is a car guy! Most of us that own, tinker or modify these great W126 Sedans or Coupes are car guys as well. Again most of us bought these cars wanting to experience the peak of quality from Mercedes-Benz when the cars were designed and built by engineers who's mission really was "The Best or Nothing"! When I bought my first W126 in 1995 I never thought for a second about originality, low miles or resale value, I just wanted one. Mike

Reactions: Gogi and ianrandom

· Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
6,579 Posts
Since buying my SEC in 2012, I've spent a dizzying amount of money on it, much like @Stutz and other owners on here. My car has 156k miles on it but looks like 56k miles (or less), hard to put a number on what it's worth but even at $30k you would have to pry the keys from my cold dead hands.

exactly.... even when the car is misbehaving

Reactions: slownrusty

· Registered
Too many to list
11,836 Posts
That's the dilemma. Do I drive the 560SEC with 56k? Maybe if I get enough motivation I'll ditch it. It is stressful to be thinking about that.

Here's an example. I'm driving the 560SEC around on a weekend letting the lucky people in the neighborhood admire it, and my son says he needs to run down to Lexington KY to pick something up. Its a lovely drive, but do I add 200 miles to the car when I actually love driving the sedan just as much?
I think you’ll be happier selling it now and getting the huge price premium before the recession hits

Unfortunately these , and the other European youngtimer cars that have skyrocketed in value over the last 5 years , will also be one of the first cars to lose their premiums .

· Registered
560SEL 560SEC E320 Cab. MB Metris Van ML 320 ML320CDI/gone 300TD 300TE 300SDL, 300D, Unimog 406
2,955 Posts
I think you’ll be happier selling it now and getting the huge price premium before the recession hits

Unfortunately these , and the other European youngtimer cars that have skyrocketed in value over the last 5 years , will also be one of the first cars to lose their premiums .
Thanks. I think you are right. It will or already has lost a lot of value. Maybe someone will want to resell it on BAT since it fits their template. I have no interest in the process. But, it has a spot in my warehouse and costs about $400 to keep it insured. So waiting out the rescession is also a good path. I also have the E320 Cab to drive and it is not a collector version with 140k and many imperfections. And, my sedan is an equal as far as driving is concerned.

34 Posts
THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES. SOME PICS
Hi..bought my MB off of a BAT auction two years ago ..She was a one owner girl always serviced by the selling MB dealer in California..had to pay a bidder's charge %5 premium on top of purchase price..Bat is selective I.E probably they have become too big for their trousers due to being successful managers of other peoples investment in vehicles..?..Just my two cents worth...They also require that photos of a car must be taken OUTDOORS or they will reject listing a car for sale !..They for sure do what they say they will do ..Don't know if they charge a seller a percentage / premium of the selling price or just a listing fee ? They also seem to get involved in writing the text of the isting but I'm not sure about this ?..Suggest that ebay might be a good trial ballon before junping on the BAT wagon ?..Your baby looks good miles do hurt her prospects but look at the prices of the older 30 to 40 years old MB cars CRAZY high ..I have a love affair with V12 roadsters and think with my heart and not my antiquated brain, which has lost some cells thru the years, when buying vehicles especially V12 cars....:)-)..Best of luck with your sale..Please keep us, your loyal fellow MB lovers, in the loop .

· Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
6,579 Posts
Bat is less selective and yes the text will be generic

One option if go thru one of their hi volume sellers. Dean laumbach. Or 1600velice. Or even how's

Another idea is use collecting cars and get some European eyes on it.

· Registered
1989, 560 SL
8 Posts
Agreed , have you even approached BAT? They may require a low or no reserve. You don’t get to control your sale at BAT , they are the ones who dictate what your reserve will be , if any. Of course they’ll tell you before you agree to sell , so best thing to do is submit it and see what they say about a reserve price . If you don’t like it you can look at mbmarket
I find your comment interesting. Had no idea that BAT influenced/strongly suggested the reserve. I've been following BAT like many here, mostly for 560's, and based on how many have not met their reserve as well as the ones who I think have gone thousands of dollars more than I would have imagined it has always appeared to me they are neutral in putting forth a value.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts