Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

For sale opinion

3798 Views 75 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  dionphaneuf
Likely going to put my car up for sale in the spring. My guess it will go on BAT as the best place. Here is where I coukd use help. I know many of you watch the market and BAT so know prices. I have a pretty good idea of what I should set the reserve but ask your opinions. Simply send me a pm.

My car has 103,000 miles and is from CA. Absolutely no rust ever. That means pristine rear window area, batt box etc. i would also say I basically replaced or rebuilt every part on car. Trans, water pump, radiator, springs, fdu, cruise, steering sector, rear 1/2 shafts, bearings front end yada yada. I have a list of those things but its just too numerous To list. I also have a lot of AMG items like front spoiler, rear spoiler, side skirts etc
I would say this would be more dependable than a 30,000 mile garage queen but those are wanted by a special class of buyers.

Thanks
Reactions: ianrandom
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

· Registered
1986 Euro 560SEC ECE Code 822
1,907 Posts
Likely going to put my car up for sale in the spring. My guess it will go on BAT as the best place. Here is where I coukd use help. I know many of you watch the market and BAT so know prices. I have a pretty good idea of what I should set the reserve but ask your opinions. Simply send me a pm.

My car has 103,000 miles and is from CA. Absolutely no rust ever. That means pristine rear window area, batt box etc. i would also say I basically replaced or rebuilt every part on car. Trans, water pump, radiator, springs, fdu, cruise, steering sector, rear 1/2 shafts, bearings front end yada yada. I have a list of those things but its just too numerous To list. I also have a lot of AMG items like front spoiler, rear spoiler, side skirts etc
I would say this would be more dependable than a 30,000 mile garage queen but those are wanted by a special class of buyers.

Thanks
John,
This is Dave from new Jersey we have talked in the past over the phone you were very helpful and generous. I vacationed in Europe this past September and when I installed the euro sim/chip into my iPhone I had forgotten to switch off the phone consequently lost some of my contact numbers as it happens your contact info was lost. Please call me when you have time. I sold my 91 560sec April last year. Sellers remorse. Anyway I posted pics on here and all I got was comments about pics and price. Magic even posted I would never sell my car presented like that. I sold it two day later to a young man who flew in to Philadelphia from Minneapolis. I went to the hotel, let him drive me home for all the service history and we went straight to PNC bank close to my bank and, purchased a bank check. Went across to my bank deposited the check. He drove to the local DMV with me and, the rest is history.
Everybody has an opinion good or bad. Don’t let anyone discourage you.
With that beautiful car you will have absolutely no problem getting the price you want. I know you’re not in a hurry to sell. These cars are only headed higher in price so wait maybe for spring or summer to see how things go with the economy.
I would like to see some pics of other comparable cars to yours belonging to members here for comparison.

· Registered
1985 500SEC Nautical Blue w/ Aero 1s, past: W210 4matic, W212 4Matic
292 Posts
I must admit watching BAT influenced me a bit to remove some AMG bits return to stock. I agree with others here most collectors on BAT seem conservative, only throwing down big bucks on low mileage stock cars. But, the MB Market site looks interesting, I must follow more closely.

· Registered
1985 500SEC Nautical Blue w/ Aero 1s, past: W210 4matic, W212 4Matic
292 Posts
It’s a very nice car, I would say at least $20,000.

It’s a fact , the aftermarket steering wheel , gauges , and valve covers are going to turn off the people who want. The period Correct AMG look. These classic Mercedes buyers who pay top dollar are very picky , they want period Correct everything.
Agree 100, period correct. If nothing else the valve covers should go back to the aluminum stock finish before a BAT.

· Registered
1991 560 SEC, 2005 E500, 1988 300SEL
231 Posts
@Stutz, BW member @bobolinski1 sold his low-mileage 296HP Euro SEC for a crazy sum on the MBMarket.com. I am not saying your car could get anywhere close to his but he added some very tasteful and pricey upgrades to the interior. The exterior appeared stock but for the Aero 1 wheels.

Your car looks very appealing and it already has most of the hard-to-get components such as the Euro bumpers and headlights (I assume). You may be better off selling it on the MBMarket as their buyers are not overly fixated on the stock look.

You just need to tidy up a few things, such as the gauges, the warped rear valance and installing proper replica AMG tailpipes.

Here's the SEC @bobolinski1, a yardstick for tasteful mods without going overboard. Euro 1989 Mercedes-Benz 560SEC For Sale | The MB Market

· Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
6,579 Posts
Seeing that forum members won't be paying what u have in mind cuz we are all cheap bastards (kidding). Just tell us what kinda price u are looking at..

Reactions: sec-crazy

· Registered
6,579 Posts
I must admit watching BAT influenced me a bit to remove some AMG bits return to stock. I agree with others here most collectors on BAT seem conservative, only throwing down big bucks on low mileage stock cars. But, the MB Market site looks interesting, I must follow more closely.

Jay you put those pieces right back on

Reactions: sec-crazy

· Registered
6,579 Posts
They appreciate the enthusiast tuner cars. Look at Blakely Leonard Instagram and Ryan was the one who ended up buying mark Pearson's car

· Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks group, I will make some of the suggested changes, like the gauges, maybe the valve covers, not sure on the trunk or the front bumper but will think on. I have most of the original parts except the tires. I also have a few things to do, 1) a small oil leak on the back of one head, a new original windshield, and installing a new gear in one of the seat belt presenters, but that's about it I know its blasphemy but one could also part it out and I think do well. Lets see, new parallel flow condenser, new radiator, new transmission hoses, rebuilt ac pump, new water pump, new tie rods ends, new upper and lower control arms, new B8 shocks, new springs, new rotors front and rear, new wheel bearings front and rear, rebuilt steering sector, new drag link, new dog bone bushings, new idler arm bushings, rebuilt FDU from flow tech, new clowns foot, new doughnuts, new throttle sensor, new anitlock brake sensors, new temp sensors, new AC lines, 3 angle valve job, all head bolts helicoiled, rebuilt trans, new motor and trans mounts, new flex joints, new driveshaft bearing, tri y exhaust with stainless timevalve muffler, and flowmaster cat, new O2sensor, new trans pan, new oil pan, SS skid plate, rebuilt cruise control, of course new plugs, Euro headlights, reconditioned wheels, AMG period correct (I know some hate them) all new AC pods, new expansion valve, new blower motor, new resistor under fuse box, new stronger rear anti sway bar, rebult 1/2 shaft, new fuel pumps and strainer, new check valve, new GAHH front seat leather, new focus speakers, mostly new rockers and one cam, painted in original color after removing all trim, new trunk seal, new door handle seals, new sun roof seal....... I am sure I forgot some things and I know I will never get the price of this stuff back but I just wanted to list is just to remind me how hooked I became. Of course like most of us it was a hobby and the above is just a small idea of how many hours went into this beast. Trouble is the kids really don't care about a 30 year old car and I am getting to the age I really don't have it in my to do a lot. If I were to keep it it would simply sit and that is not good for it. Thanks for everyones input and take what you all say very seriously. Everone has what they like and I get that so lets see. Right now the car is in storage so I have a while to think about this but pretty certain I will do down one of the roads to sell it. Right now I am not going to publish a price since I really did not put this on a for sale page and its something that is required. I simply was asking for a price. I did that because I could get lost in all the cost of those parts and come up with something that is not realistic. You guys know the market much better than I do. Usually also like me, people on this forum are looking for low cost options and at this point I am not ready to go down that route. Lets see what transpires. Also have a 2007 really good Mustang GT that I am doing the same things with. Cars have been a 50 year disease with me. Been a nice ride though.

· Registered
6,579 Posts
i think i have 6-7 times into the car than i bought it for....but whenever i goto cars and coffee and people tell me its their favorite, or i get random thumbs up on the freeway....makes it worth it.

if you have the time and effort to bring it to stock and to sell everything off too then do that but i think id just leave it as is, and just clean up a few things - or keep it

Reactions: sbr21212

· Registered
Too many to list
11,836 Posts
Changing the steering wheel, gauges, and valve covers, will get you at least five to $10,000 more , because you get a different audience of people buying, who are turned off by even seeing those type of modifications

· Registered
6,579 Posts
respectfully....not that much.. but lets see what happens and the direction he goes

· Registered
1993 300TE 4Matic
105 Posts
This car looks amazing! I'd tidy up the valve covers, that errant gauge face, and the exhaust tips and rear valence and you're good - Aero I's are a classic 126 wheel IMO and look great here.

I'd invest in getting some good photography done, both underside but more importantly some dramatic cosmetic ones if available. The car looks perfectly dialed mechanically which sadly doesn't get ROI from the broader market but should help instill confidence to bidders. The market is probably starting to get fickel but $20k seems safe. Sad to hear you're selling but it sounds like it's for the right reasons.

· Registered
6,579 Posts
yup

· Registered
560SEL 560SEC E320 Cab. MB Metris Van ML 320 ML320CDI/gone 300TD 300TE 300SDL, 300D, Unimog 406
2,955 Posts
That's the dilemma. Do I drive the 560SEC with 56k? Maybe if I get enough motivation I'll ditch it. It is stressful to be thinking about that.

Here's an example. I'm driving the 560SEC around on a weekend letting the lucky people in the neighborhood admire it, and my son says he needs to run down to Lexington KY to pick something up. Its a lovely drive, but do I add 200 miles to the car when I actually love driving the sedan just as much?

21 - 40 of 76 Posts