Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

· Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Likely going to put my car up for sale in the spring. My guess it will go on BAT as the best place. Here is where I coukd use help. I know many of you watch the market and BAT so know prices. I have a pretty good idea of what I should set the reserve but ask your opinions. Simply send me a pm.

My car has 103,000 miles and is from CA. Absolutely no rust ever. That means pristine rear window area, batt box etc. i would also say I basically replaced or rebuilt every part on car. Trans, water pump, radiator, springs, fdu, cruise, steering sector, rear 1/2 shafts, bearings front end yada yada. I have a list of those things but its just too numerous To list. I also have a lot of AMG items like front spoiler, rear spoiler, side skirts etc
I would say this would be more dependable than a 30,000 mile garage queen but those are wanted by a special class of buyers.

Thanks

· Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
6,580 Posts
the fools on bat just care about mileage usually with these cars...

Remind me are the amg body panels on the car or is the car stock in appearance.

I think on bat if its not a documented amg and more so a tribute you are bttter off revertingback to stock and presenting it like a dean laumbach car.

MBmarket is one option also... the sec today got bid to 83K no sale

· Registered
1991 420 SEL
1,105 Posts
Likely going to put my car up for sale in the spring. My guess it will go on BAT as the best place. Here is where I coukd use help. I know many of you watch the market and BAT so know prices. I have a pretty good idea of what I should set the reserve but ask your opinions. Simply send me a pm.

My car has 103,000 miles and is from CA. Absolutely no rust ever. That means pristine rear window area, batt box etc. i would also say I basically replaced or rebuilt every part on car. Trans, water pump, radiator, springs, fdu, cruise, steering sector, rear 1/2 shafts, bearings front end yada yada. I have a list of those things but its just too numerous To list. I also have a lot of AMG items like front spoiler, rear spoiler, side skirts etc
I would say this would be more dependable than a 30,000 mile garage queen but those are wanted by a special class of buyers.

Thanks
Some pics... :)

· Registered
'82 500sec euro, '95 Ford F150
1,840 Posts
Mb market may be a better option. This one just got bid up to 83k, with reserve not met. Bone stock running gear to boot:

· Registered
560SEL 560SEC E320 Cab. MB Metris Van ML 320 ML320CDI/gone 300TD 300TE 300SDL, 300D, Unimog 406
2,958 Posts
103k makes it a used car not a collector car no matter how many old AMG panels and spoilers you have on it.. In a really good market with good colors and everything bone stock and working, it is a $20,000 car. Right now, you might find it is a $13000 car and BAT may not accept it with a reserve. Its up to them.As for it being equivalent to a 30k car from the garage, you would do well to lose that fantasy. It will just get in your way to get this car sold.

· Registered
Too many to list
11,843 Posts
Agreed , have you even approached BAT? They may require a low or no reserve. You don’t get to control your sale at BAT , they are the ones who dictate what your reserve will be , if any. Of course they’ll tell you before you agree to sell , so best thing to do is submit it and see what they say about a reserve price . If you don’t like it you can look at mbmarket

· Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,891 Posts

· Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
2,222 Posts
THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES. SOME PICS
As a Classic Mercedes restorer/broker I have developed some solid relationships here in the USA, Europe and Dubai for some of my nice
SEC's and Sedans. Feel free to reach out to me and hopefully we can form a win - win on marketing you car. BTW: you did a wonderful job on the SEC and the depth of repair/restoration is seldom found in todays world. Send me a PM or I can be found at www.sonderklasse.us
Mike

· Registered
6,580 Posts
car looks really nice - keep it

u know the crowd will comment about the rear spoiler, the mismatched dials and the valve covers....

Looks good tho

· Registered
Too many to list
11,843 Posts
It’s a very nice car, I would say at least $20,000.

It’s a fact , the aftermarket steering wheel , gauges , and valve covers are going to turn off the people who want. The period Correct AMG look. These classic Mercedes buyers who pay top dollar are very picky , they want period Correct everything.

· Super Moderator
1986/1990 W126
21,628 Posts
This is an incredibly well looked after car, so somehow that needs to be reflected. The gauges not matching would be such a massive turn off to anyone apart from us. Probably worth matching them up before sale.

· Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I do have the original trunk deck without a spoiler and a set of gauges. I was just waiting to see if I could get a decent set of white covers but it sounds like the consensus is to go to stock. Before I sell it I would complete all these. Just not sure if I need to bring everything to stock. For instance I have the original steering wheel but it is nowhere as nice looking as the wood one but the wood one does not have an air bag. Also are you telling me I should ditch the euro headlights

· Registered
1991 420 SEL
1,105 Posts
Personally I think keep the Euro's. Surely the wheel could stay too?
Well, I do have the original trunk deck without a spoiler and a set of gauges. I was just waiting to see if I could get a decent set of white covers but it sounds like the consensus is to go to stock. Before I sell it I would complete all these. Just not sure if I need to bring everything to stock. For instance I have the original steering wheel but it is nowhere as nice looking as the wood one but the wood one does not have an air bag. Also are you telling me I should ditch the euro headlights
very nice car.
or another option leave everythng as is, and include the stock items if someone wants to bring it back.
ex: I like the steering wheel better than the stock one...but not the guage.

· Registered
560SEL 560SEC E320 Cab. MB Metris Van ML 320 ML320CDI/gone 300TD 300TE 300SDL, 300D, Unimog 406
2,958 Posts
Of course you should get all that aftermarket stuff off except EU headlights. I see the wheels as problematic. Others will love them - I know that. But, for me, (and I am more likley to buy a $20k car on the Internet than most others here since I have already done it 4 times in the past), I hate them. Ruins the whole look for me. If they weren't on the car no one would be looking for them. Even a buyer who wants aftermarket wheels will likely not have those as his first choice. Maybe 1 in 10 will say: Gee, I don't even have to buy those wheels I love. The rest will be negatively impacted. Put the 15 holers back on and sell the wheels separately.

As for BAT, you don't have to have the whole 200 photos to get them committed. But, you have a lot of clean up to do before you send them any photos and try to get acceptance and a decent reserve. The photos above would get you rejected.

And, in the end, it is at best about $20,000, + or - based on how many other C126 cars have gone through the auction in the previous weeks. Here is the comparable from BAT at $25,000

Note this comparable is gen 2. I also have a gen 1 and see no real advantage, but the market favors the later models.

· Registered
'91 560SEC, '98 SL500
2,469 Posts
That's a really nice car, the rear spoiler looks good, period correct and flows with the car \ body kit. Your car actually reminds me of my own.
I agree on the comments related to the gauges...but its nit-picky.

The rear apron looks warped and the tailpipes would look much better exiting through the opening with a pair of sweet larger diameter polished tips.

I think this car would do well on BaT. It looks great, great colors and period correct mods PLUS the ongoing maintenance \ fastidious ownership will help bring top dollar. Just stay up with the comments and engaged with the auction. Its fun, exciting and anxious, all at the same time. I have 4 BaT auctions (as a seller) under my belt.

I never check MBMarket unless I get a text from my bro @vdubpower

· Registered
6,580 Posts
have lots and lots of pics... like lots... a stupid amount. like 400
but only submit 80percent initially and then gradually submit the rest. It seems to get people more engaged.

If you go with bat the description will be very vanilla

if you go with mbmarket you can talk to blakely and they would add more details too description.

are you considering no reserve? would you consider selling to a forum member and skip out on auction?

· Registered
Too many to list
11,843 Posts
In my 15+ years here, I’ve never seen a forum bw member pay market price for a car from another member here

The people winning the auctions, at BAT and MB market are usually rich older guys who don’t deal with these forums, or repair their own cars . they are just making an impulse purchase with their disposable cash. People who frequent these forums are usually a lot tighter with their cash And work on their own cars

· Registered
'91 560SEC, '98 SL500
2,469 Posts
In my 15+ years here, I’ve never seen a forum bw member pay market price for a car from another member here

The people winning the auctions, at BAT and MB market are usually rich older guys who don’t deal with these forums, or repair their own cars . they are just making an impulse purchase with their disposable cash. People who frequent these forums are usually a lot tighter with their cash And work on their own cars
!00% agree

1 - 20 of 78 Posts