Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
05 SLK 350, 06 Audi A6 4.2
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I read the threads on how difficult it was to replace the bulbs on the SLK, I decided to try it out as some people have been successful.

Well, I have been defeated. I could remove and replace the high beam bulbs but I just could not replace the low beam bulbs. I removed the air hose, could get to the back of the socket (pretty tight fit for the arm however) but could not get the bulb removed.

With the high beam bulb, it was somewaht easy. Push on a little thingy to romove the wires and then twist what is left and the socket/bulb comes out. With the low beam (with no visibility and just feel), I could not figure out out what to do to remove the bulb (I was able to remove the round plastic cover - but this is as far as I got).

Could someone guide me a little bit (It is not as much a question of access - while painful, I could manage it) but more what to do to get the bulb removed.

Thanks

Yves.

·
Registered
2003 E-Class 320 CDI
61 Posts
Hi Yves,

I feel for you on this. I've managed to replace my low beams myself but I'm sure those who haven't tried it for themselves can't believe how difficult it is.

Anyway, I found that the key was to look down at the back of the headlamp through the glass to where the bulb is secured using a torch to light up the area. You should then be able to see how it is located.

In reality the bulb holder twists into place and is held by two metal 'tabs' - one on each side of the bulb. I have just been out to the garage and taken a photo through the top of the headlamp which although blurry will hopefully give you a pointer.

Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
05 SLK 350, 06 Audi A6 4.2
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SLicK350,

Thanks for the pic. How do you "unlock" the "two securing tabs"? I am guessing that it is a prerequisite for releasing the bulb holder.

Thanks,

Yves.

·
Registered
2003 E-Class 320 CDI
61 Posts
Hi Yves,

There's nothing to "unlock". The tabs are open in the anti-clockwise direction, so it's simply a case of applying pressure to the bulb holder (pushing it into the headlamp assembly) and twisting anti-clockwise.

When refitting the bulb, once again push the holder into the headlamp assembly and twist clockwise. Be sure when doing this that you correctly locate the holder under both of the tabs.

It sounds simple and in essence it is, or at least it would be if you had the headlamp assembly on a bench in front of you as they do in the manual.

The difficulty is getting your hand in there in the first place and then being in a position to apply enough turning force to release the bulb. Just get the best grip you can and turn the holder anti-clockwise - it will release if you can get enough force on it.

The next problem you will then face is dealing with the shortness of the attached wires which makes it difficult to remove and fit the new bulb. To make sure I didn't touch the surface of the new bulb I wore latex gloves at this stage.

Once the bulb is back in the holder, feed it back into the headlamp and when you're in position turn it clockwise. As already said, shining a torch through the top of the back of the headlamp will enable you to see what your hand is doing, so you don't need to trust touch alone.

Once again, I wish you luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts