Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Frank,

Since you have a CLK 320 and I remember you posting that you thought 19" are too harsh implying that you enjoy comfort in a ride, as I do, then I was wondering if I can get your input on tires. I've also noticed that you've gone through a lot of sets of tires for your car.

Presently, I have a staggered set of:

18 X (8" I believe) AMG Monoblocks (front) with Pirelli PZero Asimetrico 235/40 ZR 18

18 X (9" I believe) AMG Monoblocks (rear) with Pirelli PZero Asimetrico 265/35 ZR 18

My left rear wheel seems to be fine as I replaced it two months ago when it was punctured by a nail. The other tires seem to be dangerously low as the shop said it would be a crime to let me drive off with those tires. So now I have one spare on for safety. Therefore I'm deciding on new tires, would it be better to replace it with the same set of brands or take off everything for a new set. Basically, I'm looking for comfort and not that much performance.

Tirerack recommends Front 225/40/18 and 225/35/18. Should I go for the recommended sizes or stay with my original sizes. Again, comfort is my goal here. This has been lenghty and thanks.

-- Frank (too)

I should post this on the other Tire/Wheel section too.

·
Premium Member
CLK / ML
4,077 Posts
Why are the tires recommended for the front thicker ?

You have staggered wheels which would necessitate wider tires for the rear.

Maximum width for a 225 tire is 9" and from experience, this tends to make the tire expand across the wheel poorly. It won't cover the wheel lip so you'll lose protection against curb marks.

235 tires are good for widths from 8-9.5"
265 : 9-10.5"

Your current set up should be perfect so I would stick with it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks Frank...... that was a typo, recommended rears are 255/35/18. I'm deciding between the Yokohama AVS ES100 and the Bridgestone
Potenza S-03 Pole Position. So far, everyone seems to be saying that the S-03s are better, I don't know how they do for comfort and noise level though. I've also read that the Kumhos ECSTA 712 may be great tires, and at its price, its certainly something to consider. Any opinions on these tires?

Also, I'm looking into lowering my car. Again, comfort is my priority and for appearance I just want to eliminate the gap, not tuck the wheel in. A lot of people seem to be saying that Eibach and Koni Shocks seem to be good for this, and I believe you mentioned the H&R cup kit is also good. But many say that the H&R springs, by itself, are pretty harsh so im unsure with the cup kit. Any opinions on these and suggestions for what I'm looking for?

Thanks again Frank.

·
Registered
CLK430
3 Posts
Tires of Choice

I personally chose Yokohama 235/35/19 for my fronts for my rims that are 19x8.5. However, the lip of the tire still sits slightly exposed. I'm thinking about a to 245/35/19 next time. Will it affect my turning ability ? Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts