ane yes you will need to know some german because<br>
there's no english version of this page, but<br>
these guys are doing such retrofits plus<br>
you can buy all the parts from them *cheap*.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I threw away my German dictionary 2 years ago now I am stuck!!!

Thanks for the advice. I visited the site and was only able to pickup a few words here and there. Do you know which model of the Command unit is for the 2002 E-class??? Also do you know if they sell and ship internationally??? Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a translation website

Here's a link for lycos translation website. Select German to English and then insert the website address.<br> http://translation.lycos.com/<br> You can then navigate the website, and the pages are translated into English. I am also interested in getting Command into my '01e55. The dealer hasn't been any help yet, nor has MBUSA. It looks like it can be done, and that our cars should have the appropriate wiring.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is what my dealer said/ claim

My dealer service adivsor told me yesterday MB does not recommend installation of the Command unit for E-class anymore because of the savety issue. He said during crush test, the Command unit would come out and injure the occupant. Therefore, Mercedes Benz do not install Command unit at factory anymore for E-class. I was shock and suprise to hear this and I asked him why is the 2002 catalog still offer the Command option and the new 2002 E55 sitting in their parking lot is loaded with Command unit. He did not give me an answer. <br> <br> The Command unit for my car( #A2108205289) would cost $7000 US if I order from dealer so if I decided to proceed with this I am going to get it from Germany. My only concern is even if our cars are prewired and installation is a breeze and does it require some reprogramming to make to Command unit functional??? Because again the dealer did not have a clue when I raised this issue. I will contiue my research and post any new finding.<br> <br> John J<br> 2002 E55<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Here is what my dealer said/ claim

You dealer is full of BS (I think you probably thought the same thing).... COMAND is being offered in the E-Class still. If there was a safety issue this would not be the case.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From what I know, if you didn't pre-order the car with COMAND...

then the wires won't be there. This is the case with both my CLK and E.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: From what I know, if you didn't pre-order the car with COMAND...

The 'wires' is actually only one wire and that might even be there. Well, ok, there's 2 wires but you don't really need the 2nd one (it's the reverse signal but it's only necessary if you plan on driving in revers for long distances ;). If you really want to hook it up, it goes to connector C2 pin 15 from the Comand.<br> So the only wire you really need is the speed sensor. On some cars, it's present on the connector for the radio (connector A, pin1), but if you have a Can bus (steering wheel controls), it probably won't be (on my 2000 W210 it wasn't there). It's a green/black wire which you can find in the right kickpanel. Tap it and run it to connector C2 pin 6 from the comand.<br> To hook up the can bus, you cut the brown and brown/red wire from the C connector on your stock headunit. It's a 10pin connector with only 2 wires in it, in pin 1 and 2. Just cut the wires and put a new connector on it (you need connector C2 for this). The wire on the existing connector C pin1 goes to C2 pin 8. The wire on connector C pin2 goes to C2 pin 9. That's all there is to it.<br> partnumbers (in Germany, but I suppose they're the same in the US):<br> C2 connector outer part: 000 545 42 30<br> C2 connector inner part: 001 545 48 40<br> the pins: 013 545 46 26<br> So basically you need the 2 parts of connector C2 and 3 or 4 pins (2 for the can bus, 1 for the speed signal and an optional for the reverese signal).<br> BTW, if you want to use the Aux-in on the comand, put a preamp signal on C2 pin 4 and 5 (Right + and - resp) and pin 13 and 14 (Left + and - resp).<br> Of course, don't forget to install the GPS antenna ;)<br> BTW, the German comands will probably work fine, but you might have a problem with the radio. In Europe, we use frequencies with .1 increments as in 90.0 Mhz, 90.1 90.2 and so on. Dunno what you use in the US.<br> <br> Cheers,<br> Frank

·
Registered
w163 ml
208 Posts
please help

i have a comand 2.0 and it requires a can bus.
i have bought a seperate can bus and do not know the connections to my comand , on my can bus i have can bus high can bus low and speed connection.
can anybody please put it into idiots guide.
my car is a 1999 ml320 the comand shows iam connected to 8 satelites and works but it requires can bus

please please help

·
Registered
2000 E55 / 2003 G500 / 2011 BMW M3
776 Posts
Here's a Ralph Nader approved "savety" fix...

If you are staying up at night worrying about your COMAND spearing you during impact... Bolt a safety (not savety) wire (leash) from the back of the COMAND head unit to the framework behind the COMAND unit.

"Problem" solved.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts