Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
00 S430
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 S430 and recently change the lower arm control.. After i install everything back i test drive it around and my steering wheels was off to the LEFT (everyone say you need a ALIGNMENT) and while driving ABS LIGHT came on and the ESP, BAS... and i turn off the car its gone, and drove it for couple block the LIGHT CAME BACK ON.... I was like ON NO... MORE PROBLEM...

But after searching all over the PLACE benzworld.org, mbworld.org and mbclub.co.uk

Found my ANSWER

The trick is start your engine, leave it on PARK. STEER your wheel ALL THE WAY TO the LEFT for 5 SEC and then RIGHT for 5 sec for 3 TIMES...

I did that and drove on the ROAD AGAIN.. my steering wheels was STR8 ( NO NEED ALIGNMENT!!!) and my ABS ESP BAS is GONNNNEEEEEE drove for 100 miles STILL OFF...

HOPE THIS HELP SOMEONE...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello. I have this issue. It probably has to do with a steering wheel swap. I tried doing this sequnce, but with no help. Did you turn it left,right,left,right,left,right, or left,right,right,right (with centering in between the rights)? Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently had the same symptons.

Problems: ABS, ESP, BAS, Stuck in Park. Key was not properly responding with the car. Sometimes would start. KEY FOB

Fix: replaced the brake light switch and purchased a new key. All fault codes clear.

·
Registered
SLK 320 Tip 2000m/y
22 Posts
@ Salbw220

Hi. Not been cruising this site for a long time but your post just caught my eye.
Interesting.
Your reply only makes partial sense (to me).
Turning the steering L - R - L NORMALISES the steering position sensor and is required after a battery off.
Without this process data input to ABS,EPS etc is compromised and all sorts of issues arise.
However IF after changing the lower arm your steering wheel was PHYSICALLY no longer aligned with STRAIGHT AHEAD this supports that the new bottom arm was not (exactly) the same dimension as the original one and as would be normal practice after changing this part requires an alignment.
Even if the steering remained straight (i.e. aligned) it is still good practice to check alignment else you may experience excess tyre wear.
So the question is...Did you also carry out an alignment. If not I'm confused or something must be adrift in the mechanical installation.
The physical position of straight ahead at the steering wheel is not affected by the electronic normalisation process.
Incidentally did you tighten (to correct torque setting) the arm bushes with the vehicle at noprmal ride height rather than with the wheels at full rebound on a 4 post lift.
If not this impacts ride refinment.
Comments.
stuart

·
Registered
47 Posts
My issue is that the steering wheel has been swapped, and I can asure that the position it is located in now, is the right as there are so many threads and such a small difference between them. Is the L-R-L normalising process supposed to be done with the car started?

·
Registered
SLK 320 Tip 2000m/y
22 Posts
I think you need to restate your problem definition.
wrt the steering wheel change (same type i.e. Wood i.l.o Leather?) there would be no need for a wheel (road) alignment like on the previous post.
However since you needed to disconnect an airbag you SHOULD have disconnected the battery and in so doing the "system" would have lost its steering sensor datum.
Yes engine should be running since 1. You need the electronics turned ON and 2. You won't be able to move the steering lock to lock (full extent of travel is required) without the assistance given by the engine.
Hope this resolves you problem.
Stuart

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.