Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1207786&mid=1465490&fid=17#M1465490

Jonathan

·
Registered
1994 E320
1,730 Posts
Oh and another thing. A friend of mine has a 210 that he just had repainted last week. After than, someone had leaned on the car with his elbow, and put a dent on the left front fender!!!

Shady

·
Registered
1994 W124 E320 1997W140 S320(RIP),1993W140300SE(RIP),2000W208CLK320(RIP) , 1993 W201 190E 2.6 (RIP),
1,821 Posts
I'm making sure to repost this from that thread too. Award worthy!

E300POS

BenzWorld Member

Vehicle:

RE: Rust Warning!!

"Look, no matter how high quality a piece of machinery is it does require repairs, inspection and maintenence." -SOSH

Step away from the coolaid. The point here is this is not a quality piece of machinery. It is highly priced low quality junk. This might be expected of a Japanese car in the late sixties and early seventies. This might be expected of a Yugo although I think their quality control process was superior to the current Mercedes process.

Whenever someone points out an issue with the current Mercedes product some long term Mercedes fan points out how a superior machine requires superior care. Superior maintenance or the lack thereof does not excuse rust on spring perches or door panels on a car less then a decade old. It does not explain expensive transmissions frequently requiring rebuild or replacement at less then 100K miles. It doesn't explain sunroofs that won't open or close or windows that fall into the doors without notice. It doesn't explain a/c units that routinely fail or glow plugs on diesels that are near impossible to get out without removing the head. It doesn't explain the whole myriad of electrical problems. Can you explain why a software change is needed as a recall or TSB for the charging system? Isn't a 20 dollar voltage regulator fancy enough? Or software changes for window motors? How long have these proven components been around? Have you seen any five or ten year old Mercedes that didn't have clouded headlights?

All the rest of the problems are merely sufficient enough to prevent some here and many elsewhere to from buying another Mercedes product for a long while or maybe forever. Some here who grant the huge quality advantage to the Japanese luxury marques always close by saying they still appreciate the German "spirit" of there Mercedes. That will change after driving a Lexus or Infinity for 100K miles and only needing to replace wear items like tire and oil. This problem, however, is scary. This is no routine inspection item. This is sufficient for a recall and I hope a fatality isn't required to get one started. BTW, if the current Mercedes management was running an airline, would anyone here let their family fly on it? Please disregard the appearance of corrosion on the wing root. It is simply a routine maintenance item scheduled for repair during the next maintenance period. - E300POS

1 - 5 of 5 Posts