Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 ML-350 and 99 SL-500
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all....Just bought a 1999 SL500 with 72000 miles..got a hell of a deal on it...mint condition. I have a question, when going over bumps in the road you do notice some suspension noise, not bad just seems harsh. Could this be due to the cheap tires that the previous owner intsalled? Is it characteristic of this car?
Thanks for any input

·
Registered
00 SL500 SOLD, 05 SL600 Sport, 09 Silverado 4x4 LTZ,SOLD '15Silverado LTZ 6.2 8Speed John Deere 318
1,781 Posts
Without doing some investagation into where the noise is coming from, its hard to say. What type of noise is it? When does the noise happen?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The noise only occurs when driving over bumps or pot-holes. Sounds like a thud, not very loud but is somwhat noticable, it could just be characteristic of the car as I am not used to driving it or possible the cheap tires that are on it.
I did some research today and it sounds like this car does not have the adjustable suspension, so the absolute worst thing hopefully would be new struts!

·
Premium Member
Black SL 500 1994
1,026 Posts
could be a lot of things, I would take it to a shop and explain the problem and ask them to check it out.
I've had both my front wheel bearings adjusted, some bushes replaced, steering damper replaced, and geometry adjusted, all at a cost of maybe 150 USD.
Struts are still good according to tests and feel. 65K miles.

·
Registered
1990 500SL
146 Posts
My bet is on the Stabalizer bar,connecting link and rubber bushings. I had the same creaking and had those items changed and everything was good.

·
Registered
SL500 (R129), 500 SEC (W126)
306 Posts
I replaced the bushes in the front anti-roll bar (sway bar, stabaliser bar) mountings, cleaned up the front end significantly, especially a loose, knocking feel in bumpy corners.

·
Premium Member
Black SL 500 1994
1,026 Posts
jjrodger said:
I replaced the bushes in the front anti-roll bar (sway bar, stabaliser bar) mountings, cleaned up the front end significantly, especially a loose, knocking feel in bumpy corners.
Me too, if i recall correct the parts (two rubber bushings) were something in the region of 20-30 USD. + 30 minutes labor, max. Probably closer to 15 minutes actually.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys... Thanks so much....this is a great site... I have it scheduled to go in next week. Thanks again!!!!! I will let you all know what the news is.

·
Registered
1998 SL500
107 Posts
I have my car in the shop today with pretty much the same problem. I get it even when not driving over bumps. You can hardly hear it. I'll keep you posted about what they find out. BTW, it's a 98 SL500 with 110k miles.

·
Registered
1998 SL500
107 Posts
Well, they didn't find anything wrong with it. They said my swaybar has a little play but everything is fine. Strange thing is the noise is gone now. They did the brakes too, so maybe it was something related to the wheels. Don't know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts