Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1986 190D 2.5L Diesel
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.. I bought a 85 190D, and it has those yellow foglight lenses to the side of the headlights. The left side cracked and broke when I was replacing a glow plug. The right one is really in poor shape all brittle. I have not had them working either. I'm guessing they have some kind of replaceable light blub like H3 or H4 ? And, can I buy replacement lenses ? Or do I have to buy the whole bezel/door ?

I was wondering.. If I can get a higher wattage light blub.. will the lenses be able to handle it ?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
You will have to buy the whole bezel. Since yours are falling apart and don't work anyway, I'd reccomend buying euro lights. They will make the car look alot better, and you can get a set for under $200.

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.3 Limited #566/700
1,740 Posts

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
euro lights or upgrade to the newer nam lights.

·
Registered
1986 190D 2.5L Diesel
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These are the eurolights
84-94 MERCEDES W201 EUROPEAN SPEC GLASS LENS HEADLIGHTS - eBay (item 380289032250 end time Dec-13-10 15:33:45 PST)
These will replace your sealed beam headlights and give you better light output and make your car better looking.
Those headlights look pretty good. I like them. What application are they for ? I mean.. the ebay lists what they fit.. but not what they were specifically made for. I'm thinking I'll try to find them locally.. so I'll need an application. Euro specs mean they were only on euro MB's ?

What are Nam lights ?

·
Registered
1984, 201.122, OM601.921, G717.410
504 Posts
Heck... $200 for a pair of headlight bezels? I bought an entire parts car with good bezels for $250, not to mention a spare engine and MT5 transmission.

Sorry, I just don't understand the motive to make a significant investment in an old car that is not collectible.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Or you could luck out on somebody who is selling a good used older type pair of headlights similar to yours and get H4 conversions for the sealed beams.

The updated NAM lights are just as bad as the old sealed beams. The best upgrade is either to replace the updated, or the older style (bucket type) NAM lights to European headlights, OR if you want to keep the look of the bucket type lights you could upgrade to H4 lenses (provided you could find a good pair of bezels).

·
Registered
1986 190D 2.5L Diesel
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes.. I bought this car to save me money not to pamper or turn into a collectors item. So, putting $200 in it is not my idea of saving money. I do want better lighting.. as I drive on urban highways at night.. in the rain, and though the fog in the mornings.

I was going to upgrade my sealed beams to Sylvania silverstars. But that leaves me with the broken foglight lenses which looks terrible like it is now. I am thinking it'll be hard to find a good used bezel for cheap.. looks like $60 for new aftermarket on ebay. That'll put me at about $75 per side.. not far off from those $200 euro lights.

What is the newest year MB bezel that will fit my 190D ? I could try some junkyards for them.

Anyone know a certain vehicle year/make/model to search for those euro lights ?

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.3 Limited #566/700
1,740 Posts
Yes.. I bought this car to save me money not to pamper or turn into a collectors item. So, putting $200 in it is not my idea of saving money. I do want better lighting.. as I drive on urban highways at night.. in the rain, and though the fog in the mornings.

I was going to upgrade my sealed beams to Sylvania silverstars. But that leaves me with the broken foglight lenses which looks terrible like it is now. I am thinking it'll be hard to find a good used bezel for cheap.. looks like $60 for new aftermarket on ebay. That'll put me at about $75 per side.. not far off from those $200 euro lights.

What is the newest year MB bezel that will fit my 190D ? I could try some junkyards for them.

Anyone know a certain vehicle year/make/model to search for those euro lights ?
Euro lights fit all years for the w201 so you don't have to worry about fitment. It's just NAm( North America) changed the headlights to sealed beams for some odd reason to fit laws in the US.
Sylvania Silverstars will NOT help with brightness. It is barely noticeable. I used to run Silverstars in my NAm lights before upgrading to Euros, heck i even ran PIAA lights in those headlights and the only difference was the color output of the light. It just looked more white.

If you want even more light output, buy an HID kit for the car and install it. DDM Tuning sells kits for around 30 dollars so it's about the same price or even cheaper than buying silverstars.

·
Registered
1986 190D 2.5L Diesel
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok.. to make things clear. w201 is the same as 190 models ? and w201 are the ones that were sold in Europe or outside north america ? So, I wont find any of these headlights in north america junkyards ?

·
Registered
1986 190D 2.5L Diesel
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok thanks for all the info. I think I have it figured out now. Sealed beams are 86 and older, the Nam lights(replaceable bulbs) are 87 and newer. Doors are for replaceable for sealed units and Nam units. Euro lights did not come in USA models, and is a one unit piece.

I want to look into buying these euro lights.. seems like they are offered on ebay mostly and I have not found any websites though google with a under $200 price tag for a pair. I came across some conflicting information about these lights. People are listing them as crystal clear lenses and apparently there are 2 different styles. One with OE look with lines on the lenses, and other with no lines at all giving them the "ricer" look. Other thing is.. that some are sold with plastic lenses, other people saying they all are glass.

Now next piece of information I am trying to find is a part number for Depo aftermarket brand euro lights with the OE style lenses with lines on them. So I can possibly find them locally.

Also wondering if these Depo aftermarket headlights have the vacuum adjustment feature like the OEM units have ?

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
The only Euro lights you will want to have are made by BOSCH or HELLA.

All others are aftermarket (which include DEPO, TYC, etc).

Those crystal clear lights are aftermarket too. There are two types of aftermarket, those that mimic the Euro lights, or those that provide clear lenses like you've seen.

In order of quality and desirability, most would agree that:

Bosch & Hella > Depo aftermarket > Crystal Clear (whatever brand) lights

I have Euro on mine, they're made by Hella and have the vacuum adjustments. Haven't gotten them to work yet, but I have the vacuum lines, switch and check valves to make that work.

Very happy with mine. Paid a bit more than I'd like but they were MINT.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts