Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of days ago, I noticed something that looked like black ink had dripped onto some papers sitting in front of the gear shifter. At first, I thought one of my kids had done something with a pen. Then last night, I was driving home and noticed my rearview mirror was foggy. I thought maybe it was because the air conditioning vents were blowing cold air on ie (even though this had never happened before). I moved the vents and nothing changed. I reached up to make sure the dimmer was on and I felt a thick, sticky goo at the bottom of the mirror. So I'm guessing something has leaked from the mirror. Any idea what this is and how much a new mirror will set me back? I have to get a new windshield so now is probably the time to fix it all.

·
Registered
98ML320
1,278 Posts
what year is your vehicle?

Just a guess, Could it be a LCD that's leaking? The LCD is part of the auto dimmer function of the mirror if you have that.

·
Registered
98ML320
1,278 Posts
If your mirror has a button on the bottom of it with a green light then it has the auto-dimmer. Try turning the dimmer on. If it won't light then I'd venture that it's the LCD. If it does light why not try it by shining a light into the sensor and in the upper corner of the mirror and see if it dims. If you look closely you might also see a crack in the glass to indicate that the LCD has leaked. I've never had a LCD leak out on me (so I wouldn't say positively that it's LCD) but the LCD will fog up when it's broken.

Besides on the 98, there's nothing else in the mirror except the mirror and LCD. No lights or motors or anything. What else can it be.......

·
Registered
ml 320 1998
213 Posts
hi ive got the same problem, its the oil in the mirror which functions the auto dim sorry but you need a new one, ive not changed mine yet, i got a price from merc 170 pounds fitted.

·
Registered
98ML320
1,278 Posts
This definitely seems like a part that should be available from benz salvage parts places like potomac german auto and others. www.pgauto.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts