Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 e430 sport
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to get my headlights clear again. when i clean them they stay clear for a few seconds and then fog up again. has anyone heard or used the headlight doctor before.. they say they can restore them...but ive heard mixed results on there work.
thanks,
JEREMY B.

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes Benz E500
668 Posts
This is a...

definite DIY project.

Lots of information on the process over on the W210 forum. Check the "stickies" and run a search.

Good luck,

JR

·
It was fun while it lasted
2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
11,148 Posts
Meguiars PlastX will do the trick. Tho opinions vary, I've had good luck with it. It's not a quick job. It will take you about 30 minutes of polishing and waxing to get them clear, depending on how bad they are. I do the 99 ML lights every time I wax, which is about every 2 months. Apply wax after using PlastX and you'll have a longer lasting result.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes-Benz S500. Sold: 2000 C230K, Sold: 1997 Porsche 944S
1,271 Posts
Meguiars PlastX will do the trick. Tho opinions vary, I've had good luck with it. It's not a quick job. It will take you about 30 minutes of polishing and waxing to get them clear, depending on how bad they are. I do the 99 ML lights every time I wax, which is about every 2 months. Apply wax after using PlastX and you'll have a longer lasting result.
Agreed. I use Meguiars Plast-X and it works wonderfully.
If you have the time and resources, get yourself a Cordless Drill and use a
Buffing Wheel, preferably Mushroom Shape and Put on the Plast-X and
Buff out the contaminants on the surface of the Lens.
Do this 3-5 times, as the Plast-X will be quickly consumed.

After the buffing, my Plastic Cover lens is smooth.

I also use the Meguiars Plast-X on my Sunglasses, the Plastic Shield covering the Gauges, the Plastic Trim around the Windows.
Of course It's the Standard for Polishing Motorcycle Windshields.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey guys im new to benzworld and not what u call an expert but i try my best. :) i have, or rather my dad, a e class of 2002...dont know its code name. if i may ask..what exactly are u talking about because i always wondered how u can improve those non clear plastic lights. i take great care of it but u know simple stuff im no expert so i seek advice :)

·
Registered
2002 e430 sport
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice you guys...
I tried maguiers plast-x and after a few go arounds the lights are not perfect but at least 50% better.. i will try using a buffer to further improve results!

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes Benz E500
668 Posts
Make sure...

the buffer is a slow speed one; you are polishing polycarbonate.

To do a better job on lenses that are heavily clouded, which it sounds like yours are/were, wet sanding [in one direction only - I personally prefer vertical] with progressively finer grades of wet/dry sandpaper, and a final polish up with Plast-X will make the lenses near new in clarity.

Permatex makes a kit with the wet/dry paper, etc. There is more detail in the "stickies" on the W210 forum, I believe.

Good luck,

JR

·
Registered
2002 e430 sport
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the buffer is a slow speed one; you are polishing polycarbonate.

To do a better job on lenses that are heavily clouded, which it sounds like yours are/were, wet sanding [in one direction only - I personally prefer vertical] with progressively finer grades of wet/dry sandpaper, and a final polish up with Plast-X will make the lenses near new in clarity.

Permatex makes a kit with the wet/dry paper, etc. There is more detail in the "stickies" on the W210 forum, I believe.

Good luck,

JR
thanks JR, i will try what your suggesting, should i be worried about scratching the plastic on the headlights when using sand paper??

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes Benz E500
668 Posts
Wet sand...

thanks JR, i will try what your suggesting, should i be worried about scratching the plastic on the headlights when using sand paper??
with dampened wet/dry sandpaper. If you are not sure how to do this, there is a DIY "sticky" in the W210 forum. Be sure to mask off the painted body work surrounding the headlamp assembly and go slow, starting with 800-1,000 grit and working up to the finer grades. Take things slow and don't overdo the sanding pressure.

Sand in one direction only, not a rotational, or circular pattern.

Finish with Plast-X.

Good luck,

JR

·
Registered
2002 e430 sport
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it finally stopped raining here in s. fla.. so i got a chance to work on the lights..
i picked up a headlight restoration kit at the auto part store for 20$.. first wet sanding with 2 different grains of paper...than a cleaner.. than a sealer.. happy to say the headlights came out great!! look brand spankin new again.. took less than an hour and
20$.. couldnt be happier.. i just wish i had some before and after pics for you guys..
thanks everyone..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts