Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
non
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how many of you have read any of my posts but I have been completely disappointed in this car. From things breaking to high maintenance costs and incredibly poor resale value, this car is literally a piece of junk on wheels.

That is neither here nor there, but the car also had fogged/yellowed headlights. I tried many many times to fix it, with no luck. I used every type of plastic polish made, even the expensive 3 step processes.

Well, I took it to a professional detail shop and he was able to get the low beams almost 99 percent clear. The high beams still have a few issues which I think could be repaired as well.

I didn't get any before pics but basically here's what he did:

1) Wet sanded with 2 different grit sandpapers.
2) Used a very strong polish with a buffing wheel.
3) Used a very light polish with a buffing wheel.

This didn't quite get it. I complained and he did it again, and on the second try he got
the low beams clear.

So yeah it can be done. Almost every CLK I've seen has this problem. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2003 CLK500
324 Posts
sorry to hear that you have been having problems, just out of curiosity when did you started having problems? At how many miles and what kind of problems, also it depends where and who you bought the car from, if they didnt take care of it.

·
Registered
non
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry to hear that you have been having problems, just out of curiosity when did you started having problems? At how many miles and what kind of problems, also it depends where and who you bought the car from, if they didnt take care of it.

56k miles and the car was immaculate when I bought it, all services done. I also should mention the resale values on these cars are horrible. You can get this car now for $20,000 and it was bought for $28,000.

·
Registered
1999 CLK320
446 Posts
how much did they charge ya?

I tried around $50 worth of plastic cleaners/polishers. It looks clear before it dries up in 30 secs and looks foggy again.

I don't like any of the aftermarket lights enough to pay $400. I'd rather pay $200 for a like new set of oem lights.

·
Registered
non
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how much did they charge ya?

I tried around $50 worth of plastic cleaners/polishers. It looks clear before it dries up in 30 secs and looks foggy again.

I don't like any of the aftermarket lights enough to pay $400. I'd rather pay $200 for a like new set of oem lights.

They wanted 100.00 but since I wasn't satisfied they charged 45.

·
Registered
1999 CLK320
446 Posts
cool. thanks for the reply. Any pics?

A shop around here quoted me for $120 to clean the lens and spray with a clear after. They also offered to clean and buff for $45 but my low and highs are really damaged and it he said it would look a lot better with a clear sprayed on.

If I get the $120 restoration, I might ask him to mix a little pigment of blue or green like some of the new Lexus' headlights.

If I don't pay them to restore the lights, I may just try to spray some clear myself. I would test my work on a high beam light first.

·
Registered
2000' CL500
66 Posts
I am assuming your headlights are plastic?

For a more economical way, try this. Get a bottle of Meguiar's ScratchX for a few dollars from your local Autozone or KMart. It does wonders.

The Lexus community had a similar problem a few years ago and a lot of us were happy with this product. After a few hard rubbing by hand, your headlights will look a lot better. :thumbsup:

Jon

·
Registered
1999 CLK320
446 Posts
I am assuming your headlights are plastic?

For a more economical way, try this. Get a bottle of Meguiar's ScratchX for a few dollars from your local Autozone or KMart. It does wonders.

The Lexus community had a similar problem a few years ago and a lot of us were happy with this product. After a few hard rubbing by hand, your headlights will look a lot better. :thumbsup:

Jon
That's one of the products I've tried. The bottle I used was a smaller bottle that is stored upside down. Maybe the new, bigger bottle is a different formula?

Anyway, yesterday I bought 1500 and 2000 grit sand paper and sanded the existing clear off and let them dry. Then I sprayed them with a clearcoat spray. I only did the high beams, but they turned out better than I thought.

I can post pics when I get access to a computer. You can see the difference in clarity from the high and low beam covers.

EDIT 6/4:

here's all four lenses restored...

·
Registered
17 Posts
56k miles and the car was immaculate when I bought it, all services done. I also should mention the resale values on these cars are horrible. You can get this car now for $20,000 and it was bought for $28,000.
I just bought a older CLK 430 for 10K with 19" carlson rims and the AMG rims also. Car is black with tinted windows on the carlson rims it is beautiful.

·
Registered
CLK,SLK
1,181 Posts
I'm sad for you being so sad about your car. You weren't warned about the electrical issues? I tell everybody I know that wants a Mercedes that your seats will get stuck, maybe your windows and your bulbs will blow too much. Despite this, I love mine, I just have to extend my 5'3" body a little bit forward to reach the pedals.

·
Registered
Hopes & Dreams
1,418 Posts
Mercedes has never had resale value, that's pretty much a given.

The last model CL cars for example, are coming down big time, especially the CL65 which debuted as a 200k car, is now barely near 100k, I've seen them as low as 75k. Maybe gas prices have something to do with this in addition to the common factors when it comes to cars loaded with electronics.

Not just that, but also a dealership is obviously going to be selling it for more than an independent party will, assuming you got it from a dealership. You drive the car off their lot go around and come back wanting to sell it back you just lost a lot of money.

·
Registered
CLK,SLK
1,181 Posts
I purchased my CLK & SLK used, the depreciation was my friend. I sit and wait for the cars to come down to my price point. I'm now tracking the SLs. I was going to trade my CLK in on the SLK, but the value was so low I just kept it and only got rid of my 'dangerous' sportbike (which is what I used to justify the SLK to my husband).

·
Registered
Hopes & Dreams
1,418 Posts
LOL

Yea I agree with you, what you're doing with the SL, I'm doing with the CL.

I want to land a CL65 soon, but that's rape at the pump so...maybe I'll just buy a base CL500 and add the CL65 badge and the AMG badge, that'll up my horse power for sure! ;) I'm definitely keeping my CLK though, I'm attached. :bowdown:

·
Registered
CLK,SLK
1,181 Posts
LOL

Yea I agree with you, what you're doing with the SL, I'm doing with the CL.

I want to land a CL65 soon, but that's rape at the pump so...maybe I'll just buy a base CL500 and add the CL65 badge and the AMG badge, that'll up my horse power for sure! ;) I'm definitely keeping my CLK though, I'm attached. :bowdown:
That's good to hear. I thought you didn't like it at first, but I see you were just referring to the problems it has.

·
Registered
Hopes & Dreams
1,418 Posts
Nope, no problems here! I think that would be the original poster of the thread.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
non
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Scratch-X does nothing. Don't even bother with that. In fact I have the 3 stage expensive plastic polish system and it doesn't work either. THE ONLY WAY to get these headlights SORT OF clear is by wetsanding.

Ask me how I know. I tried the Scratch X like 5 times and the other plastic polish as well. It does absolutely nothing with the yellowed clear on our lights.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts