Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79' 300D, 85' 300D, 99' CLK430
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do these things turn on?????
I turned the switch every way, I checked the fuse, and the bulbs are still good. How do these lights work??? Please help me[:(]

Attachments

·
Always Remembered RIP
520 Posts
Pull the lighting switch out once for the front and again for the rear....

Pull the lighting switch out once for the front and again for the rear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: Pull the lighting switch out once for the front and again for the rear....

Pull the lighting switch out once for the front and again for the rear.
[:D]Wowzer I love it. Another great things about learning and working on these 240D's is discovering little things like pulling the light switch for foglights. I can't believe it, I went as far as buying new bulbs for them...
Thanks so much!!!

·
Registered
79' 300D, 85' 300D, 99' CLK430
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya, thanks. But i cant pull it out twice, only once. But I'm still happy that the front on...

Ya, thanks. But i cant pull it out twice, only once. But I'm still happy that the front ones work. [:)]

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off-Road
513 Posts
If you pull it out twice you activate the rear fogs, which were illegal in the US till lik...

If you pull it out twice you activate the rear fogs, which were illegal in the US till like 97 or somin. If you have a US model, you just might not even have rear fogs.

·
Registered
'02 WRX Blue
41 Posts
Rear Fogs

Hey, my switch does pull out that second click, but my taillights don't seem to change at all.

Where would I look for the bulbs? Or is the taillight a 2 stage bulb?

Thanks,
Shane Kullman
'82 300D Silver

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
US Spec Cars

Not many of the US cars had the rear fog inside the left rear tail lamp. If you take your cover off inside the trunk, you canb see if there is a socket and if it is wired. This is on the left rear housing and probable has a unique socket. The Euro version had a separate red lens on the 300 TD Wagons where the backup lens is attached.

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off-Road
513 Posts
If its the same as it is in the W124's, you cannot even put a bulb in, as it is not wired....

If its the same as it is in the W124's, you cannot even put a bulb in, as it is not wired. In my car I put a hidden strobe light in the fog light bay, since I'm a volunteer emergency person. I wanted to wire this a while back, but the strobe light fits rather well in there, so I just forgot about it.

Ask your mechanic, dealer, or try to figure it out on your own. See if you can get someone from europe to take a pic.

Good luck to ya!

·
Registered
1983 300Dturbodiesel
297 Posts
my fog lamps are yellow, and only in the front... one thing the car has that are better th...

my fog lamps are yellow, and only in the front... one thing the car has that are better than most today are headlights...the fog lamps really help, i was drving in the thickest fog ive seen in a long time when there was a rain storm on snowy ground and the highbeams were just too bright and made it kind of hard to see... also ive noticed only the high beams or fog lamps can be on at once, is this supposed to be like that?

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
Yes, it's suppost to be like that. High beams only make it worse when driving in fog. The ...

Yes, it's suppost to be like that. High beams only make it worse when driving in fog. The more light you shine in front of you into the fog, the more light gets reflected back to your eyes off of the water droplets. Which means in short - You can see less with your high beams on in fog.

They designed it so you can't turn on the high beams with the fogs because you just want the fogs on, and people who don't know would turn both on, making the fog lights useless.

·
Registered
280SL Pagoda, BMW318
98 Posts
Rear fog lights very easily wired up...

I have wired up rear fog lights in both my 240D and 190D as per original Euro specs.

Very easily done. You have two choices. use the wire for the side marker lights and rewire it into the fog light position on the left side. Alternatively, like I did, run a new wire from the headlight switch back.

Depending on model, you may have one that will automatically have a terminal for the rear fog. Using a circuit tester will soon tell you. Then wire it up. If you don't have such a terminal (as in my 190D), then wire it up to the front fog terminal.

Hope that's helpful.

·
Registered
2002 VW Golf TDI
26 Posts
yes, its easy

you run the wire, get a brake/reverse/turn socket from a junk yard, get a bulb, and attach the wire to the headlamp switch, the rear fog is under all the others so you have to label and remove them. remove the white piece that covers the inner wires and theres two or three empty screw holes, add a screw and attach to the correct one according to the haynes euro wiring harness.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.