Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1970 250 c
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sent from my VM670 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Hello fellow Benz folk, I have a 1970 250 c, I would like to know where I can get replacement bulbs for the fog lights? The appear to have a different end. If anyone can steer me in the right direction,
You would me very happy. :cool:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1973 220D, 1988 300SEL, 1991 300TE
330 Posts

·
Registered
73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
2,280 Posts
I last bought bulbs at Autozone... Have you tried the usual suspects (Walmart, Target, etc)?

·
Premium Member
1967 250 SL, 1965 300SE lang
3,061 Posts
The places like autozone done have bulbs like this. Or at least not that I have ever been able to find. It's an odd bulb and ordering on-line is going to be the way to go. But on a realted question, what is the condition of the reflector and gasket in your foglights...? I have some of these foglights and invariably the seal is crap and often the reflector is crap...

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
The places like autozone done have bulbs like this. Or at least not that I have ever been able to find. It's an odd bulb and ordering on-line is going to be the way to go. But on a realted question, what is the condition of the reflector and gasket in your foglights...? I have some of these foglights and invariably the seal is crap and often the reflector is crap...
I had a problem where one fog light lens cracked and let water in. By the time I noticed and found a new lens (thank you internet) the reflector was less than perfect.

A little wire brush and some silver spray paint and I got some very nice results.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
A little wire brush and some silver spray paint and I got some very nice results.
I would be very interested to hear how your silver paint holds up to the temperature of the fog light. Could you use your foglights at night and report back on this?

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
I did this at least a year ago - I've used the lights many times since sometimes for hours and it's held up fine. This was not generic sliver spray paint. It was an Aluminum paint specifically for reflectors and other chrome surfaces. I don't think it would look anywhere near chrome because if lacks that mirror surface. But in the reflector it works well. It was not expensive and I got the paint at the local hardware store.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
I did this at least a year ago - I've used the lights many times since sometimes for hours and it's held up fine. This was not generic sliver spray paint. It was an Aluminum paint specifically for reflectors and other chrome surfaces. I don't think it would look anywhere near chrome because if lacks that mirror surface. But in the reflector it works well. It was not expensive and I got the paint at the local hardware store.
I've been wanting to do the same sort of thing but haven't found a suitable paint. Finally I ordered CRC Zinc-It because it is more heat resistant, but I haven't tried it yet. I would appreciate it if you could provide the details of the paint you used. I have not seen aluminum paint before...
thanks
Scott

·
Registered
73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
2,280 Posts
The bulb in question is a standard two-in-one: one filament for the turn signal, another for the fog lamp. I replaced every bulb in my 108 two weekends ago and didn't find exact replacements, but DID find bulbs that worked.

If nothing else, take it to the parts place and look for something that is similar - two-in-ones are common.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
The bulb in question is a standard two-in-one: one filament for the turn signal, another for the fog lamp. I replaced every bulb in my 108 two weekends ago and didn't find exact replacements, but DID find bulbs that worked.

If nothing else, take it to the parts place and look for something that is similar - two-in-ones are common.
No no no. All wrong (sorry). The turn signal is not coupled with the fog lamp on this lamp assembly. Also, this fog lamp would not be found typically on a 108. This bulb is bigger than the two-in-one bulbs you are thinking of. I think you are talking about a bulb for brake light & turn signal in a single lens. This is not like that, and the fitting is not like that. It's much bigger and more unusual.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
I've been wanting to do the same sort of thing but haven't found a suitable paint. Finally I ordered CRC Zinc-It because it is more heat resistant, but I haven't tried it yet. I would appreciate it if you could provide the details of the paint you used. I have not seen aluminum paint before...
thanks
Scott
Scott - OK it wasn't aluminum it was chrome (and not really chrome either I suppose). It was Zynolyte super chrome - epoxy chrome finish which says on the can "a unique formulation providing a brilliant chrome like finish..." and specifically the can said "Recommended for use on cars."

As you can see from the photos it is shiny and very reflective but not at all mirror like as you might expect from chrome (or course if there were a spray product that would give you a polished chrome finish it would be called "Miracle")

But this is a year old now - many hours of use and it is holding up great.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Zynolyte super chrome - epoxy chrome finish which says on the can "a unique formulation providing a brilliant chrome like finish..." and specifically the can said "Recommended for use on cars."
The manufacturer's website is amazingly useless - it doesn't show the part of the label with the instructions, and the tech sheet and env sheet neither one indicate the temperature range in which it can be used after dry...

Zynolyte Super Metal :: Paints and Coatings :: Industrial, Maintenance, and Construction Chemical Products :: Aervoe Industries Inc.

Looks like an interesting product. I may need to do some testing. Thanks for looking it up and posting it.

Scott

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Thanks for the info. I now need to replace the lens for the fog light. can anyone help with this?
What is wrong with your foglight lens? It looks OK in the picture...

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Thanks for the info. I now need to replace the lens for the fog light. can anyone help with this?:cool:
How bad is yours - it looks good in the photo - or is the good one you want to match?

I found my new lens by continually searching the internet. try this guy
Hella 138mm, Online Shop OldtimergarageGR - looks like he wants 16 swiss Franc (about $16 us but there's shipping)

I've since seen these on ebay (you'll probably need to buy the whole light) pairs are way more expensive than twice a single light. You want to search on "Hella 11145"

I'll give you my old one - free + shipping (but remember it has a hole in it - you could probably patch it with clear silicon calk) as a temporary solution until you find a better one. Send me a private note if interested.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
As a datapoint, I think that I would sell lenses for around $45 when I had them on ebay. I don't do it anymore because I have way more foglight bodies than lenses and reflectors.

·
Registered
1970 250 c
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The photo I posted is my other fog lamp. I need the unit that holds the lens. (the back and lens). It came off at some point. All that is left is the frame that is mounted on the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
1970 250 c
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would also like to know how to turn the fog lights on? Is there a switch or knob to turn them on?
I have had the car for a short while and
still getting to know all there is to know.:)

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
I would also like to know how to turn the fog lights on? Is there a switch or knob to turn them on?
I have had the car for a short while and
still getting to know all there is to know.:)
Easy - turn the headlights on (turn the switch clockwise 2 clicks) then pull the switch out 1 click. Note: the foglights will only come on with the headlights on. Also be sure that the wire from your missing fog light will not short out to anything.

You can pull the switch out a second click which would be wired to a third, red fog light in the rear (Europe only option - in fact I don't know if MB offered this or it was strictly 3rd party)

Another detail about your headlight switch - from off you can turn it counter clockwise 2 clicks - this turns on the right (first click) and then the left (second click) parking lights (a light in the tail light and under the headlight) for visibility if you parked somewhere sticking into the street. This only come on if the key is turned off. And although it seems like a cool idea you probably don't want to leave these on all night (maybe with LED lights which use way less power).

Personally I'm considering wiring the fog lights to come on as daytime running lights - shouldn't be too hard and it's probably safer but it not stock.

Frank

1 - 20 of 27 Posts