Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2001 ML 320, bone stock for now ;-)
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY 2001 ML320 has a fog lamp switch and when I turn it on the amber lamp on the switch is on but there is no lights on the front of the vehicle other than the regular head lamps. Had the Mrs. turn the switch on and off while i looked at it and there were no additional lamps turning on. Shouldn't the inner most portion of the headlamp illuminate a yellow light?

Is this an option? if so why is there a switch for it?

Attached is a picture of my stock HL assembly..

Attachments

·
Registered
'00 ML320, '86 300E
307 Posts
Boerne ML320 said:
Then how would they be enabled?
I would be curious to know that as well...are there bulbs in there even? I don't think a dealer can legally enable them...even if you go to a dealer in a state where it's legal, it should be by registration state?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what i gathered our car was originally from California before it was sold here to us in Texas... I am not sure what the law is here about fog lamps..

·
Registered
10' CX-9 GT-AWD, 03' e39, 98' ML (gone but not forgotten)
433 Posts
If the yellow fog icon is illuminated on your dash, your fog ligth should have been enabled. Just open the head light cover (the smaller round rubber cover on the rear of the headlight) and pop in a H3 bulb and you are done.

·
Registered
'01 ML55
972 Posts
The light on the switch itself is for your left rear "fog light" this light is used to alert traffic behind you in foggy or heavy rain etc. The icon on you instrument cluster is for your fog lights up front.

·
Registered
98ML320
1,278 Posts
It seems like just about anything is legal in Texas, I wouldn't doubt that the fogs are OK also. What's a little light in a state that allows gunracks for crying out loud.

I'm sure your dealer can turn it on for you via the computer hookup. My suggestion would be to NOT have the instrument cluster light turned on though as it's pretty annoying and bright. Besides, you'll see them turn on or not.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The lamp on the switch itself is illuminated but there is no fog lamp in the rear... or at least that i can tell.
The front fog lamps must be disabled. That being the case how can they be "re" enabled or is that a "stealer" only thing... ;-)

And how are the HL assemblies taken out to service or to check for bulbs?

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
For the rear fog light, the left tail lamp should be brighter than the right side.

·
Registered
'01 ML55
972 Posts
Boerne ML320 said:
The lamp on the switch itself is illuminated but there is no fog lamp in the rear... or at least that i can tell.
The front fog lamps must be disabled. That being the case how can they be "re" enabled or is that a "stealer" only thing... ;-)

And how are the HL assemblies taken out to service or to check for bulbs?
There is not a fog light per se, it is really an extra bulb in the driver side tail light, so that it is brighter, so that traffic behind you will see you a little sooner

·
Registered
1999 ML320
352 Posts
I live in California and just asked the dealer to turn it on. I told them that I had a place in Lake Tahoe and needed the extra light. Call the dealer and ask them if they will turn them on for you. The bulbs are very easy to install.

·
Registered
1999 ML320(mine) and 2004 ML500 (mothers) and 2007 GL450(fathers)
31 Posts
bavenda said:
I live in California and just asked the dealer to turn it on. I told them that I had a place in Lake Tahoe and needed the extra light. Call the dealer and ask them if they will turn them on for you. The bulbs are very easy to install.
I just went to the store and put some H3 bulbs in but it did not work, Now if I were to go to MB and ask them to switch it on, would it then work? how much is it to have it switched on?

·
Registered
433 Posts
depends on your relationship with your dealer SA, sometimes they will do it for free. at most they may charge you half an hour for the 10 mins worth of work.

·
Registered
1999 ML320(mine) and 2004 ML500 (mothers) and 2007 GL450(fathers)
31 Posts
What do they have to do to switch the foglights on? flick a switch on the car or connect a cable in the car somewhere. If so would it be something that a person could do?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Dealer turned ours on right after we got the vehicle, don't remember if he charged me, but I believe I was buying something.

Try the dealer.

·
Registered
433 Posts
dealer has to connect their handheld computer to the car to activate the fog light function. There is nothing to flip inside the car nor any hidden menu like the BMWs.
The software and cable can be purchased, I believe several Gs

·
Registered
2005 ML350 SE (current); 05 ML350 SE & 99 ML320 (former)
685 Posts
The fog light switch lamp is green when enabled, some don't like the green lamp (you don't need the green lamp enabled for the fog lights to work). It never brothered me.
I had the dealer enabled mine back in 2000. Installed PIAA Super white lights - they were brighter and whiter than the standard bulb.
I have since upgraded to Xenon, here's a few photos to show where to install the H3 bulbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
SLK55,CayenneS,XKR
1,995 Posts
supradupe said:
If the yellow fog icon is illuminated on your dash, your fog ligth should have been enabled. Just open the head light cover (the smaller round rubber cover on the rear of the headlight) and pop in a H3 bulb and you are done.

Correct, By pressing the AUX button found on US ML's the european Ml's such as Mine come enabled from factory

·
Registered
2005 ML350 SE (current); 05 ML350 SE & 99 ML320 (former)
685 Posts
Boerne ML320 said:
MY 2001 ML320 has a fog lamp switch and when I turn it on the amber lamp on the switch is on but there is no lights on the front of the vehicle other than the regular head lamps. Had the Mrs. turn the switch on and off while i looked at it and there were no additional lamps turning on. Shouldn't the inner most portion of the headlamp illuminate a yellow light?
That fog lamp switch has two positions. You pressed the bottom, to light the rear fog lamp (lights up the brighter driver side rear lamp). If your fog lights were enabled, pressing the top, will turn on the green lamp on the switch and the front fog lights.

If your State allows this, it is certainly a worth while mod.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts