Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes-Benz 420 SEL(RIP),1997 Mercedes-Benz E420
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a 30 min drive home i closed the doors and when the light assist lit up it was only the city lights(inner lights) that lit up, usually the fogs light up too. Turned on the car and now the fog lights dont turn on at all.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Pretty doubtful both fog bulbs burned out at the same time. If the fogs are on a separate fuse that's where I'd be looking.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what im thinking. That should always be the first place to check. A more worrisome issue would be why/if the fuse blew. Will update after i check. Thanks

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes Benz ML430 w163,2008 Mercedes Benz CLS550, RIP Mercedes Benz 1996 e320 w210
520 Posts
possibly short circuit or power surge? I would check the fog lights wires...and go from there..
good luck!

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
possibly short circuit or power surge? I would check the fog lights wires...and go from there..
good luck!
Makes sense, most folks are told "it's a bulb" and when they check they find it ain't a bulb or if they are lucky it is, but if not it usually turns out to be corroded connections on the connector that plugs into the bottom of the fog lamp. Look carefully they are fragile!!

MB has a fix with a new better designed connector. Check Peach Parts fog light fixes or the stickies. The part number is listed. The fob cost is about 26 bucks a side and easy but time consuming to change out!!

Hey is there still an "Orange Julius" stand on Guam?

·
Registered
07' E200CDi
12 Posts
Yes I would check the wires aswell:p Had the same problem on mine:( Tought it was the xenon ballasts, so I replaced them, and saw while doing that, the wires where allmost ut of the connector at the bottom of the fog lamp:p :crybaby2:

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I would check the wires aswell:p Had the same problem on mine:( Tought it was the xenon ballasts, so I replaced them, and saw while doing that, the wires where allmost ut of the connector at the bottom of the fog lamp:p :crybaby2:
I took a quick look at the fuses and found that the one i checked was still good...number 15 fuse, 15# specified. I have bigger issues to focus on at the moment as i took 7 hours straight replacing parts in my front suspension. will update when i get a closer look at the lights...Also, a bigger concern of mine is the water leak in the trunk, water is flowing somehow into the trunk interior lining, this is the part of the trunk opposite of the license plate, right behind it, The cardboard is still fine but i fear in time it will go kaput.

·
Registered
07' E200CDi
12 Posts
I took a quick look at the fuses and found that the one i checked was still good...number 15 fuse, 15# specified. I have bigger issues to focus on at the moment as i took 7 hours straight replacing parts in my front suspension. will update when i get a closer look at the lights...Also, a bigger concern of mine is the water leak in the trunk, water is flowing somehow into the trunk interior lining, this is the part of the trunk opposite of the license plate, right behind it, The cardboard is still fine but i fear in time it will go kaput.
Ok:) With the leaking thing I would check the rubber between the lid and the chassi:p

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please excuse me, I found the problem yes a simple fuse blew, located on the drivers dash. Fuse #9, here ya go.

Attachments

·
Registered
07' E200CDi
12 Posts
Haha! Yes some times the easy is the best:p

·
Registered
2002 E320 Desert Silver
6 Posts
Fog lights suddenly don't work

I have a 2002 E320 that has had similar problems. Sometime it is the bulb, however lately the whole assembly has gone bad. Took it to the dealer and was told the fog lamp housing melted which caused the light to burn out. had to replace at $248.75 per unit, including labor.

Sometimes we get lucking and it is only the fuse.

·
Registered
07' E200CDi
12 Posts
I have a 2002 E320 that has had similar problems. Sometime it is the bulb, however lately the whole assembly has gone bad. Took it to the dealer and was told the fog lamp housing melted which caused the light to burn out. had to replace at $248.75 per unit, including labor.

Sometimes we get lucking and it is only the fuse.
Ahh! That's to bad!
Now I have the same problem on my left side :/ Will see tomorrow what it is! It's not lighting up :(

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
I don't know, but the fuse looks overheated on the picture, or is it just impression? I would check the wires for shortage. The fuse didn't blow without a reason.
It does to me too. It would be nice to see side by side with the new fuse.

·
Registered
07' E200CDi
12 Posts
I don't know, but the fuse looks overheated on the picture, or is it just impression? I would check the wires for shortage. The fuse didn't blow without a reason.
I work with cars everyday, and sometimes the fuses just blow without any reason :p Could be one of the bulbs acting up :p
Took my left one out today. Seems the last owner tought it was nice to have a non airtight joint, so it was corroted away! :( Just spliced it back together with a hydra joint :)

·
Registered
2001 Benz E320 w210 79k miles . Picked up 6/16/08
165 Posts
get part

000 540 21 05 fog light harness. a nice writeup in the stickies.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts