Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to change the fog lights?? What bulb does it take? I would like to change all of my lights to HID bulbs and wanted to know if any of you have done this mod. Do you have to replace the entire fog light lens or can I just change the bulb? Any mechanics here that can shed some light. Thanks.<br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You can just change the bulbs. If you decide to change the entire unit, it'll cost you about $300 per fog light I've found. However, if you just change the bulb, you'll need the correct part number, it'll probably cost you only 20-25 per bulb. Remember that HID burns a lot hotter than normal halogen bulbs that come OEM from the manufacturer. It could burn the housing of the entire fog light. Check with the distributor and let them know what your intentions are.<br> <br> I hope that helps.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice ScuzzyHash.<br> Do you know what part number I need in order to change to HID bulbs? Where should I source this part from? Whom should I call? Please advise. Thanks.<br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Edmond:<br> <br> Actually HID bulb (in this case D2S or D2R) bulb run cooler than regular halogen bulb. The above HID bulb uses only 35 watts yet generate 2900-3200 lumens compared to 9006 bulb which uses 55watts and generate only 1100-1300 lumens.<br> <br> HID bulbs are more efficient transforming energy into lights, hence generate less heat. This explain also why on MB which has the HID option always come with the headlight washer. Why??? because the HID bulbs runs cooler and might not generate enough heat to melt the ice (in winter), hence the headlight washer to dissolve/melt the ice.<br> <br> On the E55 since the fog lights bulb are H3, retrofit to HID is tougher due to the space constraint. H3 bulbs are small/short therefore harder to fabricate adapter to mount the longer D2R/D2S HID bulb. <br> <br> Call Chris Yu in www.suvlights.com. He might be able to custom retrofit the HID bulb to the E55 housing if you bring him the fog light housing.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you could go a cheaper route with just the hid-like lights. www.autotoys.com carries lots of hid-like bulbs for different types of bulbs. typical cost is around $30.00 per pairs.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wrong - You can't just change the bulbs!

HID Xenon Bulbs and Halogen bulbs are not interchangeable! Retrofitting your fog lights may not be worth the money and time to do so. Especially for foglights using H1 or H3 bulbs. Those fake HID halogen bulbs are mostly illegal and the legal ones do not give the results you desire. Retrofitting auto lighting is illegal and HID kits are only for off-road use or show cars. Also try www.hids4less.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts