Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I did a search but couldn't find out how to replace a burned out fog light. I don't have the car with me so I cant look. Does the back just pop off like a W126 or is it more involved?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ok, I did a search but couldn't find out how to replace a burned out fog light. I don't have the car with me so I cant look. Does the back just pop off like a W126 or is it more involved?
I have a burned out fog light on the left side, apparently you have to remove the panel under the front bumper (held on by .. as I recall 6 screws). Then the access to the fog lights is easier. But on the left side there is some sort of a coil or something (can't remember) in the way, so I think you have to remove that as well to get it out. I found it to be too much work and decided not to replace it :p

Will be interested to hear of an easy way to do this :)

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
6,543 Posts
Yes you have to remove the first under panel,,I cannot think what is in the way, I have to change my left hand glass

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
designed by a chimp with a headache!

What garbage!!!! Yet another example of how the W140 is way too overcomplicated! On the 126 you just pop off the back of the housing, pull out the bulb and replace.

I'm beginning to think that the 140 is the fatherlands revenge on us!

·
4,773 Posts
No it's a 500 SEL (sedan not coupe)
Then your problem is solved. bulbs are H3 and you just have to unclip the headlamp door at the back

I did see 500SEL on your profile, but who knows :rolleyes:

and for the uninitiated, 'W' is for sedan, 'C' is for coupe. So its W140 for sedan, C140 for coupe.

·
Registered
269 Posts
wiring

where does the wiring acutally go from the fog light? my passanger side fog light does not work, even though the driver's side does. i have changed out the blub so i know it's not just burned out. so im suspecting the wiring. yes i have check fuses.

·
4,773 Posts
where does the wiring acutally go from the fog light? my passanger side fog light does not work, even though the driver's side does. i have changed out the blub so i know it's not just burned out. so im suspecting the wiring. yes i have check fuses.
Its a small square 4-terminal socket right next to the corner lamp. Pull that out and get a voltmeter. Brown is ground, the other 3 is for the fog, low and high beam.

·
Registered
199 Posts
bomb,
i had the same issue, light not working but bulb fine. the problem was a fouled up earth connection not making good conctact. bit of a clean up with some fine wet/dry paper and job done. check for continuity on the contacts spade connectors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts