Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
01 E430
Purchased the MB repair kit for the fogs and began fixing the faulty DS fog lamp. My crimping tool messed up the connector pins so I cut both sides (lamp side - female and vehicle side - male) and replaced them with simpler connectors from a local auto store - I didn't use a spade type connector. I used a tubular one piece type, don't recall trade name. In any case, had it all done (I even pulled the glass out, cleaned it and replaced the gaskets), and with motor off, everything worked fine. Fogs came on/off with no issues. So I put it all back together. However, as soon as I had motor running, the repaired fog went dead. What am I missing?

·
Outstanding Contributor W221 Moderator
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
1,987 Posts
However, as soon as I had motor running, the repaired fog went dead. What am I missing?
I bet you might have a faulty ground where the new harness connects to the reflector. Try removing/replacing that connector a couple of times to scratch off the protective coating, that fixed mine when it happened.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, you are my genius for today. That ground "blade" in the lamp housing is coated with thick brown paint and I never even bothered to scrape that off to establish a true ground. I agree with you totally. Darn! That means that I have to go back under the car and start all over! Hopefully the bulb isn't blown! Again, thanks for the suggestion. I will post results later.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I bet you might have a faulty ground where the new harness connects to the reflector. Try removing/replacing that connector a couple of times to scratch off the protective coating, that fixed mine when it happened.
Worked just fine .....well, there's a story here. I didn't to the ground connection until yesterday because that was the only time I could do it due to my schedule and all the rains we have had recently in the east coast. In any case, during the flooding rains this weekend, I had a ton of water in both fogs so yesterday during the "rain delay" I tackled the fogs. The driver's side that didn't work lit up after I repaired the ground. Unfortunately, I found out that the PS (I had to do it because the lens was soaked and sweating plenty) lamp had also welded itself to the connector. So now I have to do that side also. Thank goodness I know what to do now!

·
Outstanding Contributor W221 Moderator
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
1,987 Posts
Sorry for your U-boat troubles, glad you are getting it sorted though. The funny thing for me was that the car's fogs stay on for a bit after you lock it. It was just tearing me up that only one of them worked!

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You saved me there. The new harness comes in on Wednesday and this time I will get the proper crimping tool. I really thank you for the grounding check - never even thought of it. I hope others take note. BTW, the bulb on that DS didn't blow - testament to the grounding problem.

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,093 Posts
Make your life easy, and invest in this System: "Elektralink"

Mercedes has switched to these type of Self-Sodering, Adhesive-Shrinkwrapped type connectors.

This is ALL I use anymore for wiring repairs (Mostly because I suck at soldering!). "If" you happened to have an adjustable heat gun (Like my Steinel), you can set the temp as recommended, and have a perfect repair. The small butane torch method also works fine.

There is a Video and various infos here:

ELEKTRALINK™ SEALED SOLDER CONNECTORS™ - CAL-CENTRON, INC.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts