Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was trying to change my fog lamp bulb today but the bulb wouldn't come out from the wire connector. It seems it was glued into the connector somehow (?). Does anyone know if there is anything special about it?

Mine is a 2000 E320 4Matic.

Any advise is appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had this same problem a few weeks ago. They just pull out, but it took me alot of time to get the bulb out. Its pretty frustrating, but theres really no tricks, tabs, or anything special.

·
Registered
2000 E320, 2007 Land Rover LR3 HSE, 2008 E350
124 Posts
hmmm..is this the first H1 bulb you've replaced in your 00 E320 4matic? they're easy to remove - a little tug back-n-forth - eventually, they'll come out - DO NOT get silverstar H1's - they burn out quickly (trust me) - good luck.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Hi, Wings.

It sounds like you may have the dreaded overheat condition that essentially fuses the bulb to the wire. That's what mine did. The known fix - unfortunately - is to replace that part of the harness (and fit a new bulb of course). I've been trying to find time to explore a more affordable alternative, but it hasn't been too high on my priority list of late.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
2000 E430 4-Matic
28 Posts
Had the same problem

Hi, I was trying to change my fog lamp bulb today but the bulb wouldn't come out from the wire connector. It seems it was glued into the connector somehow (?). Does anyone know if there is anything special about it?

Mine is a 2000 E320 4Matic.

Any advise is appreciated.
I had to look 3 times for special release mechanisms to get this bulb out of its holder but it took nothing more than a little extra pull to get it out. I discovered that the housing that supports the female portion of the connection had not only melted but the tabs that contact the bulb were pushed so far apart that they lost contact with the metal portion of the bulb thus making the new lamp inoperable. I know this sounds confusing but when you see it you'll know what I mean. After I removed the bulb I took some pliers and squeezed the tabs closer together and that did the trick. My fog lamps work again and all is right in the universe. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2001 E320, 2004 S430
991 Posts
Hi, Wings.

It sounds like you may have the dreaded overheat condition that essentially fuses the bulb to the wire. That's what mine did. The known fix - unfortunately - is to replace that part of the harness (and fit a new bulb of course). I've been trying to find time to explore a more affordable alternative, but it hasn't been too high on my priority list of late.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

I'm having this "bulb fused to the wire" problem (passenger side). There is simply no way that I can get it out. the ceramic of the bulb was broken during the process. There is only the center piece metal from the bulb left inside the socket and it refused to come out.

I went to the dealership. They don't sell the lamp socket and wire assembly. The only choice that I have is to replace the complete fog lamp assembly. They quoted me $150.00

Autohaus price is $109.

I thought I'd like to consult the experts here before I order the whole fog lamp assembly. Is there any other part that I can use?

Thanks for the help.

(I practiced on the driver side. It's tight but it came out. The new one from dealership was super easy to come out. Somehow, the one being used in the car is very tight. The heat really does some kind of trick to it.)

·
Registered
2000 4Matic Estate E320S4 210.282
824 Posts
Do not replace the foglight assembly!

I’m having the same problem with both bulbs being welded solid to their sockets. If I wiggle on either of the bulbs they light up but the connection is not stable. I broke one of the bulbs trying to pry it off with tools.

during my research I came across with this thread from 2004 where there’s mention to a specific Mercedes harness:

“The repair kit replaces all wires inside the fog light housing and the external plug. There is a 1 foot pigtail that exits the original plug location. This moves the connector further up behind the bumper to prevent corrosion from moisture. The number is 000-540-21-05. The repair harness is $28.75 each.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1195742-fog-lamp-frustration.html

I just learned that yesterday so I haven’t had a chance to call the dealer to verify.

OTH, the most logical solution that first came to mind was to find a replacement socket and fix it that way. I do not see any reason to replace any wiring since everything else looks good. I found an all ceramic pigtailed bulb holder:

Automotive Connectors

http://superlumination.com/images/auto_bulbs/h1ceramic_wm.jpg

I haven’t yet ordered since my research is not over … even though, it’s the only one I have been able to find so far and I have searched hard. :D

Cheers

·
Registered
991 Posts
000-540-21-05 is not a Mercedes part number. They don't have it.

However, your idea of replacing the socket with a generic H1 socket is interesting. With some electrical experience, it should be feasible.

Basically, cut the original socket off and connect the new socket to the wiring. It should work.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
I may as well fess up for my cheap fix. I bought four (two for each side) insulated 1/4" spade lug connectors and cut the wires as close to the original connector as possible, then spliced in the connector. I can't remember which is (+) and (-) so you'd want to check that, but the (+) fits the bulb perfectly, and there was a spot on the metal facing where the bulb mounts that the (-) fit fine. It's been that way for over two years...and I haven't even had a bulb burn out since then. It's not ideal but it works great and was very affordable. ;)

·
Registered
991 Posts
I checked into the "insulated 1/4" spade lug connectors" as Greg used. It should work for the positive terminal. However, I'm not clear how the "-" terminal works. I can't find a place to connect the negative terminal.

I also found this page on the web.

W210 Foglight Connector /Repair Harness - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

It has a picture of the repair kit. It does look like the correct part. The part number is either A000 540 21 05 or A000 520 21 05.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
I'm coming up on an oil change, perhaps I'll pop the full belly pan (may as well check for leaks, dump out the dirt, etc.) and take a pic of it. Like I say it's been two years so I don't recall, but there was an existing place to connect the ground side.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Thanks, Greg.

I found a good place to connect the ground. The metal plate that was used to hold the two spring clips is a good place for the ground spad connector. It's a little narrow but it works.

I used red spad insulated connectors because of the wire gauge.

Both connections are solid and I think it's safe.

I took a picture of my installation as attached.

Thanks again for the good idea.

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
1,808 Posts
Well, thanks to Franasia for this tibit about the replacement harness. I ordered a pair for my E430 and installed them today. This could not be much easier.

However, in case you want some pics of it, here it is. As for the grounding, they thought of that too. The housing is used as the ground and the brown ground wire connects to the 'spade' on the housing.

Feel free to add this to an existing sticky if you like. Just trying to save somebody $100 when all they need is a $30 harness.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts