Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i pull out the headlight switch to the fog light position, the following happens;

1. the little foglight indicator lamp next to the headlight switch does NOT come on.
2. the foglights do NOT come on.
3. the onboard computer gives me a error message 'lamp malfunction'.

i'm assuming that this is caused by bad/defective/blown foglamp bulbs, but am i right (in relation to the computer warning)?

also, is the little indicator lamp supposed to come on or not (my car is a euro model, so it has a two-stage pull out switch. 1 for front fogs and 2nd for rear fogs). the little indicators don't come on with either of the function. i have not had the time to actually check if the rear lamps are coming on or not.

also, what bulbs do the front fogs use, and how do u get them out / in??

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yes, the lamp malfunction indicator will appear when a bulb fails to turn on. The fog bulbs are H1.

It's possible that both front bulbs are burned out, although it could be something else. Mercedes posted a technical service bulletin (attached) for a connector oxidation issue that prevents the light from getting power.

I'd try to sort out the front fog lamps first and then worry about the rear one. Maybe you should verify that it's not coming on. It could be wired so that the fronts must turn on before the rear can...don't know.

Attachments

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks. i'll pick up the bulbs tomorrow and try those.

yes, the rears do comeo on only after the front fogs are turned on...second pullout stage.

i tested the rears, and they came on. so i'm assuming (and hoping) that its just the front bulbs that are gone.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it was the bulbs...one of them had sort of 'melted' into its holder...that was a mess.

but had new philips ultrawhite bulbs put in...all works now.

·
Registered
mercedes e320 2000
104 Posts
my foglight bulb also melted to the wiring
how do i change the bulb now?
bought new bulb but wiring is sort of melted onto
the old bulb cant remove them from each other
[V]
help is appreciated
[:D]

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it seems to be a general problem with this car and the fog housing.

i had an electrician from the benz dealer come by, and he cut both the wires so the holder could be taken out completely.

than they had to use pliars and screwdrivers to pry the stuck pc out of the holder. than they joined the wires again and put the bulbs back in.

everything works. apparently its next to impossible to get stuck bulbs out w/o taking the holder out of the car. let me know how u get along.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts