Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1999 C280 Sport Package
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help with my key, I have 1999 c280, with 4 button keys (with Panic button), the problem is I can't lock my car, because the plastic lil broken on the locking part, but still can unlock, open trunk and start the car.

Do I need to replace the shell key only, or do I need to get another key? if I need to get another key, can I programmed my self or do I have to go to dealership since it cost me like US$250.

need some advice...

thank you in advance.....

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
I need some help with my key, I have 1999 c280, with 4 button keys (with Panic button), the problem is I can't lock my car, because the plastic lil broken on the locking part, but still can unlock, open trunk and start the car.

Do I need to replace the shell key only, or do I need to get another key? if I need to get another key, can I programmed my self or do I have to go to dealership since it cost me like US$250.

need some advice...

thank you in advance.....
Welcome. Please click user cp and edit details to add your vehicle and location to your profile, it's often helpful information when you're seeking assistance.

Depending on the design of your key you may be able to very easily swap out the shell for a used-but-newer-and-better-condition key. Post a pic of your current one and that will help, check ebay for pictures and single out yours if that's easier. ;)

Good luck.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Yep, that's an easy one to change the shell. Get a used one from eBay that's in good condition and when I'm back to a PC I'll post a link on how to swap the shell. (If you want to look for it I'm pretty sure it's in the 210 forum help stickies.)

Note: if that is your only key I'd really suggest you buy a new one as well. They do fail and it's far worse when you can't move the car while waiting for it to arrive.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1999 C280 Sport Package
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is that because of the shell or the transporder inside? And if i get a new key, can i programmed my self?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Is that because of the shell or the transporder inside? And if i get a new key, can i programmed my self?

Is your question directed at the reason they fail? It's a PC board with chips. I suppose if you knew exactly which components were supposed to do what and could find a proper replacement, you could fix it.

And no, you cannot program your own key. Even the dealer cannot do that. You must go to the dealer and present proof of ID as well as ownership of your vehicle. Then you can order the key and pay for it. They process the order and it comes pre-programmed from their central location. Then you have to go back to the dealer with ID to pick it up. The point is that no one should ever have only one key to their car, because you never know when you may lose one or it may fail. At that point, getting yourself and your title to a dealer, etc., is only going to make that experience worse.

·
Registered
1999 C280 Sport Package
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If its about the pc board inside, where should i go? Computer mechanic or electronic mechanic?

Or any other mechanic? Thank you

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
If its about the pc board inside, where should i go? Computer mechanic or electronic mechanic?

Or any other mechanic? Thank you
Can I ask you to stop being so cryptic? Forums can be difficult places to communicate clearly.

1. Are you talking about your current key that has the broken shell?

2. Or are you talking about the failure of an existing key and trying to get it fixed?

If #1, just buy a used key that is the same design as yours from Ebay. When it arrives you'll extract the guts (so that you can practice on that one and if you make a mistake you won't be breaking a key that works) and then you'll have a good shell. Then you will extract the locking bar and PCB from your key and insert them into the nicer used shell. Replace the battery pack and the metal key and you're good as new.

There are tons of them on ebay, just make sure it's the same design as yours. Here's but one listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Benz-keyless-remote-KEY-FOB-FCC-ID-IYZ-3312-/110927499044

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
I think my problem is more to number 2

thank you
Based on your description and the picture you posted, I'd bet it's more #1. Once it cracks it no longer presses properly on the actual "switch". If it was a problem with the board, none of the remote functions would work.

·
Registered
1999 C280 Sport Package
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Based on your description and the picture you posted, I'd bet it's more #1. Once it cracks it no longer presses properly on the actual "switch". If it was a problem with the board, none of the remote functions would work.

ok, I will try to get the used one from ebay, and playing with it before i play with my real one,
It cracked for a year i think, and just happened two days ago, i didnt know if that can affecting to actual switch, coz I tried to pressed the button under the shell still not working.....

thank you

·
Registered
1999 C280 Sport Package
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It works now....and i can save ton of bucks.....

Thank you for being patience with me....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts