Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, since the Performance Thread sticky needs to be populated, I thought I'd throw a topic together and post up some old pics. I installed a front mount intercooler (FMIC) on my car about four years ago, which at the time, might have been one of the only such examples here in NA. If I were to do it again, I'd surely do things differently, but it's held up quite well, nonetheless.

So first off, when looking under the front bumper cover, it's quite clear that there's just not much room there, for either a front or sidemount IC. Unfortunately, the radiator support struts are right in the way. Also, the stock auxiliary fan intrudes into the space. Owners of later models with the dual fans may be able to modify the lower shroud and avoid this issue.

The struts and fan obviously needed to be removed in order to fit anything in there. So I opted to torch out the struts.

I measured the newly created opening and ordered a custom-made IC from an outfit about 60 miles from here, along with some 2.25" "U" tubes, which were cut up and used for the plumbing.

I then welded in "L" shaped vertical braces to replace the angled struts, as well as a heavy "L" bracket at the bottom to stiffen the radiator support. Each corner of the radiator support got brace to stiffen the fore/aft movement. Then two holes were drilled in the radiator support and little steel tubes were welded in place. These are for the threaded rods that hold the IC up snug against the radiator support.

I welded little "L" feet to the threaded rod, which pulls the IC back against the cradle built into the radiator support. I glued sections from an old VW timing belt to the vertical struts to keep the IC from chafing in its new home.

The bumper cover obviously needed to be modified in order to accommodate the IC.

I drove around like that for a while, then opted to pick up a lower valance cover, which completely hides the IC.

Since I removed the large single fan, I replaced it with two 9" Spal fans.

Like I mentioned, I wouldn't take this exact approach again. I'd remove the stock radiator support and weld in one from a 500E, which is beefier and wouldn't require the fore/aft braces and vertical struts. Lessons learned. Hope this is helpful to someone.

Sorry for the lousy pics and sloppy welds.

·
Registered
682 Posts
that looks good, nice info. what oil cooler is that you have and is the pickup from the oil filter housing wit a sadwich plate?

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a factory oil cooler for the OM603 turbos. It's plumbed directly from the filter housing.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Dude, nice work.

I wish I could weld....

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I can weld, anyone can...really. I think it's mostly attributable to my little Lincoln SP 135T mig setup--it's almost idiot proof

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Cool. I was always under the impression it was difficult. Then again, my uncle, who was the welder in the family, always wanted absolutely perfect welds.

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
quote "I drove around like that for a while, then opted to pick up a lower valance cover, which completely hides the IC.

Great piece, and I really like the look of the lower valance!

Where did you find the lower valance cover at? What material is it made of, and how does it attach to the rest of the bumper assembly.

Since I need to replace the front bumper cover on mine anyway, I'd just as soon install the one you have, very nice indeed.

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another forum member, RBYCC, has the same setup. I picked it up off of ebay about two years ago. I think it's made of some polymer plastic. I used about six screws to attach it to the bumper cover on the corners and down near the lower lip. It's a cheap way to upgrade the look of the front end.

·
Registered
682 Posts
That's a factory oil cooler for the OM603 turbos. It's plumbed directly from the filter housing.

what is a om603? some sort of oil burner?

what about brackets, did youy make your own? ditto oil lines?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Another forum member, RBYCC, has the same setup. I picked it up off of ebay about two years ago. I think it's made of some polymer plastic. I used about six screws to attach it to the bumper cover on the corners and down near the lower lip. It's a cheap way to upgrade the look of the front end.
It's a Wald EX knockoff...possibly still available on EBAY.
Good quality, about $200?
Slides right over the stock valance but gives additional room for an intercooler install like Zeitgeist has done.

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

what is a om603? some sort of oil burner?

what about brackets, did youy make your own? ditto oil lines?
Yes, my 300TD has an OM603 3.0L turbodiesel, which comes from the factory with an oil cooler, plumbing and brackets.

·
Registered
682 Posts
i considered using them when i fitted my cooler samwidge plate, (fitting video on this fourum) but opted for stand alone oil cooler core instead, the cooler on the rad will be hot from the coolent, so may not cool the oil enough. use a seperate core!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was actually thinking to remove all of the ac equipment including the evaporator(except for the blower and vents) So with the evaporator gone I was thinking it would improve the efficiency enough for it to handle the engine oil as well. I havent done this yet, right now i got everything in front of the spark plug rotor gutted out while im waiting for a mail order water pump and I just so happened to start pandering about this.

·
Registered
682 Posts
i aint sure, but keep us posted! (even without air coln, these engines run at 80 - 100 deg)

·
Registered
4 Posts
well, it turns out i ended up with the wrong water pump because it just won't fit on my m103 but ive got everything between the compressor and the line connectors at the rear of the engine compartment gutted out so ill let you guys know how it goes after i finish put back the old pump while i go through an electronic dispute.

·
Registered
4 Posts
not much of a difference in coolant temp with ac evaporator gone, it just runs 5-10C cooler. Will find a way to rig engine oil to circulate thru the transmission fluid ports and then hopefully that might be able to help cool it further. any suggestions as to where to tap into the engine oil circulation to loop it thru the radioator?

·
Registered
682 Posts
get a sandwich plate. they fit underneeth the oil filter. use either a merc one from a 190e or 24v 320. or aftermarket one from mocal~(that is what i have used)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts