Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 C-230K sport
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering putting sattelite radio in my 2000 C-class. The car has the stock stereo system, does anyone out there have this FM modulated? Does it sound better than the regular radio? The installation place tells me the only way to install is through FM modulation, which I am not a big fan of.

Also, any advice, XM or Sirius?

·
Registered
98 e430 sport
20 Posts
XM on MB

Hi Orionh,

Couple of things, one of the nice things about satellite is that it is digital quality - not quite as good as CD but better than the best FM. If you use a FM modulator, you would lose this. Depends if this is important to you. I've got a e430 with the bose system and have decided to upgrade the MB head unit with an Alpine XM unit. You may have a problem with this because I think with the 2000 model you have the steering wheel controls integrated into the stereo and would lose this with an aftermarket HU.
As far as XM or Sirius, search on XM vs. Sirius, there are a bunch of comparisons available on the net.

I'm picking XM because it came with the Alpine HU I want to replace the crappy MB HU with.

·
Registered
2000 C-230K sport
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input

Unfortunately I cannot replace the head unit, even though it is mediocre at best (although it is a bose). The reason being is now we all have fiber optics, unlike your 98. But ah well. The sacrifices made for the MB

·
Registered
560 SEC Supercharged(sold), E55 AMG, Renntech CL600 Bi-turbo, Porsche 928
1,989 Posts
I believe only the cd changer uses fiber optics. I recently replaced my stock head unit o...

I believe only the cd changer uses fiber optics. I recently replaced my stock head unit on my 99 E430 with a Premier 940. You need some adapters to work with the Bose system but mine works just fine and sounds much better than the stock system. Not to mention, I'm using the Bose amp and speakers. The job will take around 1 to 2 hours and another hour to run the XM wiring from the trunk to the headunit.

·
Registered
98 e430 sport
20 Posts
Re: I believe only the cd changer uses fiber optics. I recently replaced my stock head unit o

Hi Supercharged,
I just replaced the HU on my 98 e430 with an Alpine
XM unit. I'm using the Terk antennae on the rear
window - but noticed significant degradation on the
FM/AM reception (I guess because of the integrated
antennae in the rear window defogger)

Have you noticed same - what antennae are you using.
Asad

I believe only the cd changer uses fiber optics. I recently replaced my stock head unit on my 99 E430 with a Premier 940. You need some adapters to work with the Bose system but mine works just fine and sounds much better than the stock system. Not to mention, I'm using the Bose amp and speakers. The job will take around 1 to 2 hours and another hour to run the XM wiring from the trunk to the headunit.

·
Registered
560 SEC Supercharged(sold), E55 AMG, Renntech CL600 Bi-turbo, Porsche 928
1,989 Posts
I'm using the Pioneer XM antenna - kind of looks like a shark fin http://shop.store.yaho...

I'm using the Pioneer XM antenna - kind of looks like a shark fin http://shop.store.yahoo.com/dynadirect/ca-an90xm.html The Terk antennas from what I've been told are not very good. You are greatly sacrificing function for looks.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The best location for the antenna is on the roof.

This will give you the best signal. And, as mentioned, mounting on the rear window can cause problems with the antennas on the rear window. All antennas are not the same. Compare performance specifications.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts