Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've had an opportunity to verify some things that have squeezed me into a corner with the flywheel situation.

1- The G parts are significantly different from the car parts. For one thing, the normally aspirated diesel cars with manual trans used a rather flimsy looking 8-1/2" clutch, where all the Gs used 9" clutch that in addition to being larger is generally more robust looking(heavier lining chassis, springs, and hub), and due to the design of MB flywheels and clutches (clutch recessed into flywheel) the flywheel can't be adapted to use a larger clutch, too much significant metal would need to be removed.

2- The 617A motors with automatic transmission used a flywheel of the SAME PART NUMBER as 280GEs with automatic transmission, so I know that the 617A doesn't require any more balancing/smoothing weight on the back of the crank than does the M110.

I have the correct cover and driven plate for a 300GD and the clutch builder I spent some time with today looked those over and said they are plenty beefy to handle the extra torque of the turbocharged motor. He looked at the 240D clutch plate I also brought along and said, "no way" (240D is the only commonly available diesel + manual trans flywheel here in the states).

So my best case scenario would be to find a flywheel from a 240GD or 300GD. They are the same and both could use the clutch parts I have to form a complete assembly with my 617A, ready to bolt the trans up.

Anybody got a flywheel with the numbers:
617 030 01 05
in the rim that they'd like to turn into cash?

If I can't find that, then I'll have no choice but to use the 280GE flywheel and clutch that I have in my G now. The only downside will be that I will have to introduce time into the project between engine out and engine in to get the flywheel faced and match-balanced to the old part from teh 617A to maintain the engine balance. It's doable, just not ideal.

So if anybody has a 617 030 01 05 they want to sell, let me know. Otherwise I'll be falling back to use the 280GE parts and adding a few days to the swap turn-around.

Thanks!

-Dave G

·
Registered
85 300GD 83 300TD
978 Posts
4X4Rancher is parting out a 300GD. He is in England but if it is available he might send it to you. Hefty shipping but the correct flywheel.

-Dai

1 - 3 of 3 Posts