Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I broke down and spent the $50.00 for the Royal Purple. Drove the car on the freeway after the oil change. The C seems to want to go faster than before with the Dino oil, about 4 mph (79 instead of 75 up the usual hill). Could be my imagination too. I usually like to do a proper double blind study in these matters (like Wine or Beer tasting) but that's impossible when your the one who changes the oil. I guess if the Wife suddenly starts getting speeding tickets I'll know for sure something has changed.:D

Anyone else noticed similar results going synthetic?

C as in 220:thumbsup:

·
Registered
00 C-230, 04 C-240
468 Posts
There are pros & cons against sint and additives. All I can say is that my 2000 C230 is close to 35 MPG, and I use MOBIL1 and SLICK50. You be the judge.

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Additives

I used Slick 50 years ago in another vehicle years ago... Got 285k miles out of it before I sold it. This Purple stuff is supposed to be all that and a sack of chips, we'll see. They claim increased gas milage, lookin' forward to that!

I'll never catch up to you though with that extra gear...

God Luck!:thumbsup:

C as in 220

·
Registered
00 C-230, 04 C-240
468 Posts
I got over 240K miles from a Honda, using SLICK 50. The only repairs were for a water pump, thermostat, and a radiator. The original clutch held beautifully the entire time.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes-Benz S500. Sold: 2000 C230K, Sold: 1997 Porsche 944S
1,271 Posts
Well I broke down and spent the $50.00 for the Royal Purple. Drove the car on the freeway after the oil change. The C seems to want to go faster than before with the Dino oil, about 4 mph (79 instead of 75 up the usual hill). Could be my imagination too. I usually like to do a proper double blind study in these matters (like Wine or Beer tasting) but that's impossible when your the one who changes the oil. I guess if the Wife suddenly starts getting speeding tickets I'll know for sure something has changed.:D

Anyone else noticed similar results going synthetic?

C as in 220:thumbsup:
Huh? Going Synthetic.
You should ALREADY be Synthetic.

I always notice a smoother, slightly more power after an Oil or Tranny Change.
500 Miles later, I don't even notice.
Get rid of that Dinosaur Oil....It killed those nice Dinosaurs...don't let
it kill your ride ! :p ( kidding ).

·
Banned
97'C280
3,184 Posts
I might try Royal Purple on my next Tranny fluid change, but I'm doing quite well with Mobil -1 Syn Oil for the engine.

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SYn. oil vs. Fred Flinstone's Dog

I just checked the service records and our C was run on Valvoline 20/50 from new till about 50k miles then on Chevron 20/50 till we bought it about 4 years ago at around 70 k miles. I then switched to what was familiar to me, which was Castrol 20/50. After finding this Forum late last year I have learned a great deal about MBs' and proper maintenance. My Haynes manual says to use "Duckams fully synthetic Engine Oil, or Duckams QXR Premium Petrol Engine Oil". Looks to me like there is an option to go either way with the models covered in my Haynes.

So far after switching to the Purple Syn. (sounds a bit exotic) My wife even commented that the car seems more powerful getting on the freeway. Gas smilage checks coming.;)

Hey MB of Fla. I thought Smoking killed the Dinosaurs!:eek: At least according to one of Florida's Favorite Sons Gary Larson.:D

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

C as in 220

·
Banned
97'C280
3,184 Posts
I just checked the service records and our C was run on Valvoline 20/50 from new till about 50k miles then on Chevron 20/50 till we bought it about 4 years ago at around 70 k miles. I then switched to what was familiar to me, which was Castrol 20/50. After finding this Forum late last year I have learned a great deal about MBs' and proper maintenance. My Haynes manual says to use "Duckams fully synthetic Engine Oil, or Duckams QXR Premium Petrol Engine Oil". Looks to me like there is an option to go either way with the models covered in my Haynes.

So far after switching to the Purple Syn. (sounds a bit exotic) My wife even commented that the car seems more powerful getting on the freeway. Gas smilage checks coming.;)

Let's race! ...it's the only way to know for sure if you gained any HP:D

·
Registered
97' E 320 //////02' C240/// 01E320
93 Posts
Interesting ............
I for one have used Mobil 1 in everything I have had for as long as I can remember....with great results ....including my truck which now has 439000 miles... whew!!! However i have been tempted to try Royal Purple.....my question is living in Florida what grade do you guys recommend i have always used 15-50 Mobil royal Purple makes oil in 10W40, 15W40, 20W50 api grades.....not sure which I should use...I have 110000 mile on it btw.....any help would be great thanks.

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"Let's Race"

Benz Rider,

You've got two more Lungs and an extra Gear... How much time will you spot me?:D Oh yeh, DON'T tell my wife I had her C up to 124 MPH once!:eek:

That was with the old oil. Think of the possibilities!:thumbsup:

BTW I think RP makes a 05/30 too.

C as in 220

·
Banned
97'C280
3,184 Posts
Benz Rider,

You've got two more Lungs and an extra Gear... How much time will you spot me?:D Oh yeh, DON'T tell my wife I had her C up to 124 MPH once!:eek:

That was with the old oil. Think of the possibilities!:thumbsup:

BTW I think RP makes a 05/30 too.

C as in 220
I know about the 2 more cylniders, but you only have 4 gears? I didn't know that. I thought all C's came with a 5-speed. I'll give you 1 car length..:D

I've used everything from Lucas Oil additive, which works amazing, to Royal Purple on OLDER cars and it literally brings them back to life. I was able to detect a compression leak on a 68 wildcat AFTER I changed the oil from Pennzoil to Royal Purple mixed with Lucas Oil addiitve. rebuilt the engie and got a whopping 389 horsepower compared to 289 prior...an even 100HP gain.

Luca Oil uses their stuff in drag cars so you know it can take the heat of everyday start up and rush hour traffic. I thought about putting that into my benz, but I'm gun shy right now.

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Horsepower in a can

Benz rider,

Yours is the first year for the 5 speed. From what I have read here: That entitles to to lower RPMs, better gas smilage, and a high bill for earlier replacement!:eek Oh and you'll beat me at the track.:bowdown:

I'll have to put RP in my Tranny and rear end to gain every possible advantage before the great drag race!

That horsepower increase is WILD! Who would think there would be that much resistance inside a Wildcat? Those were cool cars.:cool:

See you somewhere around Las Cruces. Seems like about half way between some where in Texas and So. Cal.

C as in 220

·
Banned
97'C280
3,184 Posts
That horsepower increase is WILD! Who would think there would be that much resistance inside a Wildcat? Those were cool cars.:cool:

See you somewhere around Las Cruces. Seems like about half way between some where in Texas and So. Cal.

C as in 220
yeah, the Wildcat was very old and had years of built up gunk in the pan, oil pump, on the journals, everywhere. changed it out with RP and it immediately started to smoke but it felt very responsive. broke it down and found piston ring damage on 3 cylinders with oil getting in there.. took a while to put back together(low $$), but put more RP and Lucas in it and was able to make the tires chirp. I loved that car but ended up selling it anyway.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts