Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 1996 SL 500, while returning the roof to the up position an oily liquid came pouring out to the driver side roof line onto my lap. I feel it might be a broken hydraulic pump that locks the roof in place. I'm hoping someone can let me know what to do. I haven't tried to lower the roof in case it doesn't want to return up again.

·
Premium Member
2002 Black SL500, 2000 Azure blue SL500, 2005 Silver (A209) CLK500
908 Posts
I recently bought a 1996 SL 500, while returning the roof to the up position an oily liquid came pouring out to the driver side roof line onto my lap. I feel it might be a broken hydraulic pump that locks the roof in place. I'm hoping someone can let me know what to do. I haven't tried to lower the roof in case it doesn't want to return up again.
Replace both top cylinders. Remove the header, one cylinder on each side.
Not difficult to do at all. Less than a hour. Order the cylinders from Top Hydraulics in Oregon, when they arrive, do the replacement and send back the leaking cylinders for deposit refund.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is great information. Will the roof come down in order to access the cylinders. As you can see I'm very new at this.

·
Premium Member
2002 Black SL500, 2000 Azure blue SL500, 2005 Silver (A209) CLK500
908 Posts
This is great information. Will the roof come down in order to access the cylinders. As you can see I'm very new at this.
Top lowered into the rear boot lid.
A pillars. Each side of the windshield...called A pillars. Top of each side...strip of rubber. You'll see a screw and then you'll have to bend back the rubber to access another small screw...each side.
Then you have the long trim plate running along the top...under the trim plate are the cylinders. In the middle of that trim panel attached under it will be a wiring harness. Disconnect it then remove the panel.
From that point, you'll be figuring out the removal process of the cylinders. Each hydraulic line attached to the cylinders has a clip locking the line in place. Just pry it up gently...then you'll need a few hand tools...I don't recall the sizes.
Remove the cylinder. Only do one side at a time...using the other side for reference. When you attach the hydraulic line...gently but firmly slide it into the cylinder making sure it's seated then slide the locking clip back into place. If the clip does not snap back into place, that means the hydraulic line is not seated tightly.
Top Hydraulics has a WEB site with pictures. Perhaps Klaus will chime in...Klaus is the owner of Top Hydraulics and very helpful. Order your cylinders from him. Don't attempt to rebuild them. Waste of time.
Before removing the cylinders...place a small rag to absorb the oil that will be seeping out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts