Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'83 240D
3,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a couple 300Ds recently for cheap (a complete rusty '78 and an engineless '83 240D with a good body/paint). I'm trying to get the '78 running - It had a torn-up flexplate, and the starter wouldn't engage. I hear these flexplates have an external balance, but the old one is torn up, and the new used one seems to have a different balance. Unfortunately, I removed the old flexplate before realizing this.

I've heard that some folks have just R&R'd these things with no trouble. Anyone had a different experience? If the thing goes back together and vibrates like crazy, how on earth can the new flexplate be balanced to the engine? If this is not the right forum, can someone point me to a more relevant one? Thanks from an old gearhead...

·
Registered
1987 300D Turbo
10 Posts
flexplate...

I'm not sure about the balance of the flexplate. As I remember, the flex plate bolts to the flywheel mounting and then has 8 small bolts that hold the torque converter. I wouldn't worry unlees the flywheel must be removed. The crank and the flywheel are balanced at the factory. It you undo the flywheel bolts, mark the flywheel and the crank. I used a scratching device like a scribe. That way , you can return the flywheel to the same place on the crank. The old allen head bolts are now replaced with star type bolts. I think a regular socket fits. I had to chisel out the allen bolts because the heads tend to lose their shape when trying to remove them. Allow extra time on this.

Good Luck!
Jim Schaffner

·
Registered
1987 300D Turbo
10 Posts
flexplate

I'm not sure about the balance of the flexplate. As I remember, the flex plate bolts to the flywheel mounting and then has 8 small bolts that hold the torque converter. I wouldn't worry unlees the flywheel must be removed. The crank and the flywheel are balanced at the factory. It you undo the flywheel bolts, mark the flywheel and the crank. I used a scratching device like a scribe. That way , you can return the flywheel to the same place on the crank. The old allen head bolts are now replaced with star type stretch bolts. I believe they use a regular metric socket. I had to chisel out the allen bolts because the heads tend to lose their shape when trying to remove them. Allow extra time on this.

Good Luck!
Jim Schaffner

·
Registered
'83 240D
3,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, like I said, the old one had to come off - it was trashed. I removed it before I'...

Well, like I said, the old one had to come off - it was trashed. I removed it before I'd heard the flexplate was not neutrally balanced, so I missed the chance to match-mark the plate to the crank.

What a pain! I had to drill and chisel the old hex bolts off. At any rate, I have a new (used) flexplate that I have put on, and I will re-install the engine this weekend.

Am I screwed? If the balance is lost, how is it restored? I am unfamiliar with externally balanced engines - all the Japanese stuff I've previously worked on is neutrally balanced.

·
Registered
'83 240D
3,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK - the flexplate is in, and the car is up and running with no issues - seems to run sm...

OK - the flexplate is in, and the car is up and running with no issues - seems to run smoothly enough. Time will tell whether any imbalance will cause issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.