1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1990 300SEL, 2005 SL500
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

part 56 in the diagram.

1990 300SEL
I got no record of either one of them being changed. Surprisingly there is no visible cracks or deterioration. Unlike the rubber boot around the centre bearing (32) that definitely needs to be replaced. I may as well get it all done at the same time.
I see Corteco OE replacements are around $100 for a set. Are they any good?

·
Registered
90 420SEL, 00 BMW X5, 00 Lexus RX300, 01 Chrysler Town and Country
256 Posts
For this, I would say stick to Lemforder or MB original. If you search thru archives, you will find that people have had scary experiences with aftermarket parts. And never ever use URO. Mark all of the peices so you put it together exactly as it comes out in order to maintain the sanctity of the balancing.

·
1991 500SEC 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
4,412 Posts
I'm with Hugo on this too.

In that the originals lasted 30 years, why not go for the known quality?

The ones in the Febi box turned out to be made by SGF, the manufacturer of the original MB parts.
Made in eastern Europe.

MBL

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
I am often tempted to go for Febi parts because of their price. But with Febi, it is rolling the dice. They are re-packagers. You can end up with a nice Made in Germany part or you could end up with Made in China parts. Unless your parts supplier will go the extra mile and let you know all details about the Febi part, it is a crapshoot.
BTW, TRW parts are great too. So are Moog. But not sure if they make the flexible joints. They do make suspension parts.

·
Registered
1990 300SEL, 2005 SL500
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi MarkCan, would you happen to have the part number list that corresponds to the items on the diagram?
There you go;
Someone here (on the forum) pointed my attention to this site. Very good for quick reference when you don’t feel like firing up your star system.

In that the originals lasted 30 years, why not go for the known quality?
You think that’s possible?
I’ll definitely report back when they are out.

Corteco are listed as OE (original equipment)
Will see, I haven’t decided yet.

·
1991 500SEC 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
4,412 Posts
Yeah, definitely a lower price by $8 or $10 or so each.. should you choose not get MB original.

Autohauz has MB for $70.65 ea. That said, you have to spend a minimum of $99 to qualify for free shipping there. They offer three year warranty.

Spend over $50. you'll get free shipping from FCPEuro & they offer lifetime warranty.

Lol, Today I've spent at least 3/4 of an hour researching this.. and I don't even need flex discs at this juncture.

Good luck in your quest.

MBL

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
249 Posts
Well, I am going to need one soon as it has a single crack, and it seems like a good idea to replace both at the same time. Appreciate your research. :) Corteco (FCP) and Febi-Bilstein both appear to be OE suppliers. New Parts sells "OEM" brand. Quality, whether made in Germany or elsewhere appears to fluctuate with head office quality control.
p.s. autohaus now ships free on orders over $48.

·
Premium Member
1987 560 sec impala metalflake over cream
1,093 Posts
i just bought 2 flex disks.Fibi from pelican, was told by the salesman that they were of very good quality, same as MB. they had all the brands & that's the one he would personally recommend. will let you know when the are in my hands

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEC Black/Black
162 Posts
I find information like this priceless. Thank you all for your input here. I have been rebuilding the under carriage of a 91 560sec from front to back and rely heavily on the information I find on this site !!

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.6, 300E, Volkswagen Jetta 1.4T
927 Posts
View attachment 2623714
part 56 in the diagram.

1990 300SEL
I got no record of either one of them being changed. Surprisingly there is no visible cracks or deterioration. Unlike the rubber boot around the centre bearing (32) that definitely needs to be replaced. I may as well get it all done at the same time.
I see Corteco OE replacements are around $100 for a set. Are they any good?
Corteco is fine, they're the OE supplier for many suspension and driveline rubber parts for Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, and BMW. Never had an issue with any Corteco part and I've installed many including flex discs.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Good to know this. I have not seen any Corteco parts in US websites. Maybe I am not looking at the right sites. But I do check the usual sites such as AutohausAZ, FCP, Pelican, Rockauto etc..I ordered Moog upper control arms from Rockauto. Hope they are good and last. Moog does have a good reputation but the control arms were made in Tawan and there was no Moog stamp on the part - just a sticker on a generic box that said Moog.

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
249 Posts
Corteco flex discs arrived from FCP today; came in a Corteco box and the disc was stamped SFG and made in Germany. happy camper.

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
249 Posts
Corteco flex discs arrived from FCP today; came in a Corteco box and the disc was stamped SFG and made in Germany. happy camper. and they are identical to the Febi/Bilstein's that MLB87560 reported in the post #3 above. just goes to show that sometimes you get junk in the box, and sometimes the real deal.:)

·
Registered
1990 300SEL, 2005 SL500
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No cross border shipping, not to mention any travel now.
Hope I still get the same good stuff later on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts