Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 CLK 320
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ordering this and the Trans mount tomorrow off of Autohausaz.com. I am a little confused on how to replace this. I know to put the rear up on jack stands. and block the front tires up. Then put the car in N so the driveshaft can still spin. Does this mean that when I am undo-ing the bolts that I can spin the driveshaft and get the bolts that are impossible to get (top poisiton ones) and reinstall in same order? And will any fluid or anything come out? When I take the driveshakt bolts off, will the driveshaft want to fall down? I'm new to this Flex Disc thing, But, I am turning 100,000 miles in two days :crybaby2: and would like to start taking caution procedures. Any help is greatful . Thanks

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
mercedes00320 - did you inspect and find it cracked?

The WIS shows your CLK has a prop shaft split into front and rear halves, both of which are fitted with flex disks at their ends. The shaft is supported in the middle by an 'intermediate bearing', and the front end also has a universal joint.

The WIS assumes that anyone changing the flex disks will drop the propshaft completely. But I see no reason why you cannot work on the front end alone by removing the nuts on the flange, and allowing the shaft to drop clear.

In neutral the shaft should rotate, provided the rear wheels are lifted clear of the ground, and the parking brake is released.

Torque for self-locking nuts on transmission/front shaft. (2 versions), M10 = 40Nm. M12 = 60Nm. If you do not replace the bolts, use a dab of blue locktite on the threads. Flex disks are shown for 3 or 4 arm flanges, according to model.

·
2006 S500, 2003 ML350, 1996 C280 (Previously 2002 CLK320, 1995 C220, 1980 300SD TurboDiesel)
2,670 Posts
I have done this - well let me clarify - I have taken off the driveshaft or the "propeller" (because it "propels" LOL @ British English BARBUS).

Excuse me -

Yes exactly, as keyhole says you can put it in N and move the driveshaft around to get all the bolts.

You don't need to remove the entire driveshaft to get the front flex disc off, it retracts. The driveshaft can remain connected to the rear differential.

Use a jack to support the transmission and keep it level.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
I have done this - well let me clarify - I have taken off the driveshaft or the "propeller" (because it "propels" LOL @ British English BARBUS).
Stig - I do realize that in the US you call it the driveshaft.. but the MB WIS calls it the propellor shaft. So who am I to argue with that...:D

·
2006 S500, 2003 ML350, 1996 C280 (Previously 2002 CLK320, 1995 C220, 1980 300SD TurboDiesel)
2,670 Posts
Haha - well our language does come from your country after all, it is only funny for me because in America we butcher it on a regular basis :( Trust me, the jokes on us! :)

·
Registered
2000 CLK 320
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, a few questions. How come I have to support/jack up the transmission? also, what do you mean by keeping it level? I'm just going to jack up the rear end until both wheels are off the ground and block up the front wheel. then spin the driveshaft to remove the bolts. When the bolts are removed, is the driveshaft going to want to fall down or stay in its current place? Is it "welded" on their, or by other means "on their very tight"? I am thinking this is what is causing me to have vibration at 70 mph

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
Vibration at this speed is more likely to be the propshaft center bearing.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
Eric, can you please explain more information about this? thank you
Yes you have a flexi disc front and rear and a bearing in the center, see pic below. Excessive play in this bearing can cause vibration in drive. But it is a lot of work to check it as the exhaust and heat shields have to come down first off.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 CLK 320
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yikes! I hope to God that isn't the case with me. I don't want it to be :). I'm hoping once I replace the Flex Disc that the vibration will go away. Is there anything else that would cause the car to vibrate at that speed? I replaced steering damper, ball joints, motor mounts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts