Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last night there was a needle poked into my rear left tire....
due to that the car hardly turn and stop....
luckily it happened at 1:00am and i was close to my house
so i call the roadside assistance, they arrive in least than 30 mins... which is pretty good.... and this morning i bought it to the dealer, and they cost me around $50 to repair the tire...

Is $50 reasonable???

·
Registered
36 Posts
My husband says $25 is what we pay here in Edmonton to fix a flat at the tire stores. We have several flats a year living in an area with new home construction.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I also think that about $ 25 is what it should cost for a simple repair. At $ 50, you are reaching the point of diminishing returns and it depends how much wear is left on the tire. Alternatively, you could buy a new tire for about $ 100.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
There are several ways to fix a flat.
If it's a nail that went in cleanly in the tread, then a quick and cheap way is to push a "plug" in the remaining hole which is then sealed as the plug and glue set.

The better way is to remove the tire from the rim and properly install a larger plug with a cap on the inside of the damaged tire all sealed with glue.
This plug is pulled from the inside out and the remaining rubber is cut off as it exits the tread.(vulcanizing patch)

Sidewall punctures are not usually repairable.
$10 to $20 for the quick plug and more for the larger inside repair and then balancing.
$50 is a bit steep but if the dealer repairs it @ $105/hr+taxes, then the sky's the limit.:eek:

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Probably about right price if it was a M/B dealers they usually charge about double, at least you were able to repair yours mine was nearly new (about 1,000 miles) when it got punctured & was not repairable costing about £70 or 140 can$ to replace.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
If it's a nail that went in cleanly in the tread, then a quick and cheap way is to push a "plug" in the remaining hole which is then sealed as the plug and glue set.

:
Hi Derek

No dealer or tire store will use a plug in B.C. because of safety concerns. I remember getting plugs installed without even taking the tire off the car,, Ahh Progress. A really bad leak would sometimes take several plugs and I can not remember ever having a leak at the repair.

Yuna

Get the tire fixed at the closest tire store, more convenient and cheaper. There will be several posts advising against it but I always carry a can of flat repair. Several brands out there basically enough gas to inflate your tire and a sealant to temporarily patch the leak.

Bill

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Bill,
Maybe i should bring to other tire store next time... cause i already got it fixed this morning

·
Registered
27 Posts

The better way is to remove the tire from the rim and properly install a larger plug with a cap on the inside of the damaged tire all sealed with glue.
This plug is pulled from the inside out and the remaining rubber is cut off as it exits the tread.(vulcanizing patch)

Sidewall punctures are not usually repairable.
$10 to $20 for the quick plug and more for the larger inside repair and then balancing.
$50 is a bit steep but if the dealer repairs it @ $105/hr+taxes, then the sky's the limit.:eek:
Glued plugs are for temporary repairs.
Patched from the inside is the permanent fix. (in most cases)
Cheers!

·
Registered
58 Posts
i look at the receipt today,
Here are the cost:
Uni-Seal Kit $11.25
Labor $35.00
I guess if they are fixing this would come with some sort warranty and consider the tires came with the car cost more than average tires.....last time when I had a nail in a tire with my van, I found a chinese garage around the midland/finch area , they plug the tire for $ 10 ......

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Hi Derek

No dealer or tire store will use a plug in B.C. because of safety concerns. I remember getting plugs installed without even taking the tire off the car,, Ahh Progress. A really bad leak would sometimes take several plugs and I can not remember ever having a leak at the repair.

Yuna

Get the tire fixed at the closest tire store, more convenient and cheaper. There will be several posts advising against it but I always carry a can of flat repair. Several brands out there basically enough gas to inflate your tire and a sealant to temporarily patch the leak.

Bill
See Bill,
Another reason to come east and visit. There still is a $10 plug. We have it so good in the east!! (except for the present 35cm coming down)
Cheers, Derek:eclipsee_steering:

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Derek

$10 versus $25 , light rain versus heavy snow HMMMMM.

think will go with $25 repair in the light rain.

When the tire is hard as a rock from the cold can it still be plugged:p

Bill

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
No Bill, you can't repair cold tires properly.
Some of your past was in Winterpeg, so you've payed your debt to society many times over. Enjoy the light rain.....:crybaby2: :surrender:

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Enjoy the light rain.....:crybaby2: :surrender:

Sadly the rain has gone and we are cursed with some warm shiny thing in the sky. Trying to decide between the sunroof or the A/C.:beerchugr: Time to fire up the Bar-B-Q.:flamg:
Mike is in his shorts and sandals, come out with your pink tights.

Bill

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Would you believe it, another puncture in the same wheel within 3,000 miles of the first. Same problem nail in the groove between the treads. This seems to be a weakness with these tyres (Continental Premium Contact) as they have 3 groves in the tread each about 1/2" (12.5mm) wide and of course as soon as the nail goes in there they loose pressure immediately.
Due to the sophistication of the safety features of the car you do not realise that you have a flat until the "tyre warning pressure" flashes up in red on the display screen. Still at least this time I was able to pull over and change to the spare without ruining the punctured tyre.

I had to drive about 60 miles (albeit at about 50mph which did wonders for the consumption figures) on the Skinny emergency spare wheel again all credit to the clever safety features, as the car handled as normal and that is with a tyre well under half the width of normal so I was most impressed.
It would be a nice touch if you could be reminded somehow that you were driving on the emergency spare as handling the way the car does one could easily forget and drive above the tyres safety limits.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
My Audi has Continentals and also has large grooves to better evacuate the water.
No flats yet :D and I love the way these tyres make wet roads feel dry.
I'm sure the Quattro doesn't hurt also.

Good Luck with the tyre repairs. Derek:eclipsee_steering:

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Hi Keith

Sorry to hear about your experience and I hope your good wife was not in the car, as I image the air turned blue with several choice words and phrases. Hopefully no one else has to try out the small tire but it good to know the car still performs OK. I always carry a can of instant flat repair for emergencies, it almost to dangerous to try to change a tire on the side of the road now.

Our townhouse complex is like a war zone :rocketwhore:at present, we are doing a complete re roofing job and the roofers have developed a system of one nail in the roof and one for the road. Several neighbours have had several punctures but the B has not been touched as of yet (knock on wood). So for the present I am happy with the tires.
However I drive slow around our complex so the nails properly don't bounce up into the large grooves in the tires.

Bill

P.S. We have just finished celebrating Victoria Day weekend and thank all those in England for giving us a reason to have a long weekend.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Fraid she was, :( and had to sit in the car whilst I jacked it up beneath her, not the ideal situation but there was no way I could get her out into her wheelchair. :confused: Still the car didn't topple and I was able to get the tyre repaired at my destination. :)
Am now looking into getting a full sized spare which will be ideal for use on holidays as this will take the pressure off (oops sorry about the pun ;)) getting a repair sorted out whilst away if it happens again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts