Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2000 CLK 430
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
haha i finally got my flat hood emblem today.. what a big fucking mod huh.. anyhow i installed it and it wouldn't fit flush on the hood..

it was sticking up like 2 mm so i figured i'd try some improvisions so when i tried taking the thing back off one of hte pegs on the back broke..

wow very cool huh.. so i was like wow well maybe we cna fix all these problems by putting super glue on the back and applying pressure.. huge fucking mistake.. superglue gushed out the sides of the emblem and onto the paint..

so me be the dumb fucking idiot that i am i try to wipe it off real quick instead of just letting it dry so then there is a fucking 7 inch streak of super glue across my the front o fmy hood right by the emblem..

anyhow just got off the phone with a auto body guy said it can easily come off..

what did i learn out of this that i'm very dumb and that either the flat emblems are really cheap or i just bought from a real piece of shit..

what did i gain.. nothing the emblem is sitting in my trashcan and i have the stock back on..

will i try again? you bet..

·
Registered
1999 CLK430 Coupe
317 Posts
that sounds like a typical dumbshit move i would make. I remember using steel wool to take some stubborn brake dust off the polished lip of my wheels. needless to say, they are ruined and sitting outside getting rusty.

·
worst mod in BW history
ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
27,762 Posts
WHAT A FUCKIN' RIOT!! You should have used Bondo and duct tape lol. I ordered the star grill but I want to keep the hood ornament. How garish and shitty do you think it will look?

·
Registered
W208
216 Posts
ThrillKill - 5/2/2005 6:46 PM

WHAT A FUCKIN' RIOT!! You should have used Bondo and duct tape lol. I ordered the star grill but I want to keep the hood ornament. How garish and shitty do you think it will look?
Pretty funny loooking I would say..just go with the flat hood emblem if you go with the CL style grill.

Install isn't as hard as you think but some people might run into some difficulties..problems I had was that I kept on dropping the little plastic piece that holds the back of the emblem down.

Other than that it went good..sorry to hear about the cheap emblem you got, what do you expect from being only 20 bucks..try it again that's all I can say, and I guess be careful? Those things are made out of generic material but still looks good [:D]

·
Registered
2000 CLK 430
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow the story gets better.. i couldn't wait till tommorow to try and get this shit off .. so i tried to take matters into my own hands.. i bought some goo off shit at lowe's hardware applied to cloth tried to wipe off and it changed the paint color to some faded black color.. so i'm guessing i'm gonna have to get the entire hood repainted.. i'm hoping it will only be like 200 bucks..

wow what a fucking day..

·
Registered
W208
216 Posts
Phade - 5/2/2005 7:02 PM

wow the story gets better.. i couldn't wait till tommorow to try and get this shit off .. so i tried to take matters into my own hands.. i bought some goo off shit at lowe's hardware applied to cloth tried to wipe off and it changed the paint color to some faded black color.. so i'm guessing i'm gonna have to get the entire hood repainted.. i'm hoping it will only be like 200 bucks..

wow what a fucking day..
OUCH! How about trying to buff it and then wax it before repainting? You have nothing to lose since you are getting ready to paint..that might help a bit. Good luck at whatever you try to do

·
Registered
2000 CLK 430
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i've been meaning to get to the paint and body shop for the last 3 months now.. someone egged my car door before and it left like a big ass spider web on the side.. so if he can knock out both those for a good price ill just get it done.. i dont feel like trying anything else.. i've been doing shit to try and get it off since like 2 pm eastern its almost 7 pm now so i'm gonna give it up now.. and just wait till tommorow..

i was even thinking of repainting my entire car white or red.. i wonder how much it would depreciate it..

·
Registered
1999 Clk320
239 Posts
I heard that cars that arent one of the popular primary benz colors, black, white, silver... are less expensive than those that are. But despite that, I got mine in magma red... i didn't like it at first look... but the price was too good to pass up. I figured I was getting it cheap enough so that I could still get a paint job to black or silver and still spend less than I would buying the car somewhere else at a regular price. After driving the car around for a few weeks... the color started to grow on me. Plus, I was getting many heads turned and compliments on the color. Needless to say, I kept the magma red... I want to upgrade from my 320 to a 430 sometime soon... and the only thing that has been holding me back is that I haven't found a magma red one yet. Good luck with whatever you choose to do. Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

·
worst mod in BW history
ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
27,762 Posts
Phade - 5/2/2005 6:02 PM

tried to wipe off and it changed the paint color to some faded black color..

That could be your trademark...... "Phade"....get it? Rub some more of that shit on the hood and call it a day.

·
Registered
CLK430 Cabrio
188 Posts
Sorry to hear about your paint. That sucks! You might want to try some acetone (like nail polish remover) on it since it disolves superglue. But, I'd test it on a hidden spot first to make sure it does not harm the finish. Also, once the glue dissolves be careful to soak it up and not just smear it.

It's worth a try before you shell out the cash for new paint. Good luck!

·
Registered
W208
216 Posts
Phade - 5/2/2005 7:25 PM

well i've been meaning to get to the paint and body shop for the last 3 months now.. someone egged my car door before and it left like a big ass spider web on the side.. so if he can knock out both those for a good price ill just get it done.. i dont feel like trying anything else.. i've been doing shit to try and get it off since like 2 pm eastern its almost 7 pm now so i'm gonna give it up now.. and just wait till tommorow..

i was even thinking of repainting my entire car white or red.. i wonder how much it would depreciate it..
Well if the price is right to paint the entire car then go for it if you have the cash to dish out. If not I think the body shop can work something out and take out most of the problems you have without repainting the whole car. Go to a well known reputable shop and they should do something good..

·
Registered
2001 SILVER CLK 430
750 Posts
Phade, try cheese wiz. It does wonders. make sure its the yellow kind. It has to be heated......................................................................oh yeah, take pictures and post them after you try, lol. [:D]

·
Registered
2000 CLK 430
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
called the first place i found via google.. visited his shop.. first of it was in the ghetto in the back of some wearhouse.. i was skeptical at first and just drove by but then thought what the hell i drove all the way out to the ghetto i might as well give him a shot.. guy spent like 2 hours fucking with it.. and basically looks better than it did originally and i sure did fuck it up.. i put some dirty ass scratches on it i guess when i was trying to rub it out.. and i didn't see them cause it was dark outside.. but when i saw them today it was actually worse than anticipated.. the scratches where the toughest part for em to fix they were below the clear coat.. bu that cat had skills..

lastly he didn't even charge me.. so i gave him 100 bucks.. nice fucking guy..

never judge a book by its cover..

·
Registered
W208
216 Posts
Phade - 5/3/2005 3:23 PM

called the first place i found via google.. visited his shop.. first of it was in the ghetto in the back of some wearhouse.. i was skeptical at first and just drove by but then thought what the hell i drove all the way out to the ghetto i might as well give him a shot.. guy spent like 2 hours fucking with it.. and basically looks better than it did originally and i sure did fuck it up.. i put some dirty ass scratches on it i guess when i was trying to rub it out.. and i didn't see them cause it was dark outside.. but when i saw them today it was actually worse than anticipated.. the scratches where the toughest part for em to fix they were below the clear coat.. bu that cat had skills..

lastly he didn't even charge me.. so i gave him 100 bucks.. nice fucking guy..

never judge a book by its cover..
Atleast you got it done. I know a couple of guys that are from and have shops in the ghetto and they can get down with their skills. Like you said you can't judge a book by it's cover..maybe they just feel more comfortable working around that area because of renting/lease cost. I donno? I grew up in the ghetto so I can't complain..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts