Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas as to what else to check on my 99 SL600?

We just got back from a 4 day 2000 mile road trip (don't ask, but it was a blast). Often, but not every time, when I would slow to a stop after an extended drive time averaging 80 mph or greater, both the fuel light and the reserve warning light would come on and flash repeatedly. This happened regardless of how much fuel was in the tank. Each time I checked the filler cap, but it was tight. Further, I could not detect any fuel leaks - averaging nearly 20 mpg (surprising to me!) I doubt that is the issue. Either we would stop, shut it off & wait a while, or fill it up with premium and the lights would shut off. Now that we are back in town, making shorter trips at more moderate speeds, no issues. Thoughts? Anyone?

·
Registered
1987 560SL Gone but not forgotten! & 1999 SL500 For Now
745 Posts
In my car, the cause was a loose hose at the charcoal cannister, located at the front left (driver's) side, behind the headlight assembly. Look for a black, $quarter sized cap with the letters MOT on it. Then look below the cap to the left side and check that the hose is securely attached. Good hunting.

·
Registered
94 SL600, 89 Jag XJS conv, 85 Daimler Princess, 97 993 63 Avanti 16 Lincoln MKZ hybrid 16 Silverado
720 Posts
The fuel warning light flickering regardless of the fuel level happened when an interior festoon light was not properly seated in the contact mounts in my 94. If memory serves it was a foot panel or door puddle light. Hope your answer is as simple as mine. I approached the issues from a fuse connection, since the torpedo ceramic fuses can be a common source of faults.

·
Registered
98 SL500
362 Posts
I had a blinking, flashing fuel gauge awile back that would come and go. Turned out to be the purge valve located near the driver side headlight (US). Ordered it from Autohaus easy to install fixed the problem.

·
Registered
2000 SL 600 ) w/9,421 miles (that's right)
12 Posts
MOT - Thx folks, it was an easy fix

Just want to thank everyone for the guidance concerning the fuel gauge blinking. A vacuum hose had pulled out at the "MOT", what ever that is. But putting it back took care of the issue.

Mikery1985

·
Registered
98 SL500
362 Posts
Just want to thank everyone for the guidance concerning the fuel gauge blinking. A vacuum hose had pulled out at the "MOT", what ever that is. But putting it back took care of the issue.

Mikery1985

The MOT is your purge valve. Glad it was an easy fix.

·
Registered
2000 SL320, 2001 CLK320
2,364 Posts
And the purge valve (MOT) is connected to the charcoal canister which is actually just behind the front wheel (covered behind the fake brake vent grill):D

It also makes a tick tick noise when operating.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts