Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
happened a few minutes after fueling up.

Put new plugs in and no change. Missing at idle.

I've had random check engine lights but I've never seen one that flashes 3 times and then steady on.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I limped it to autozone and they read the engine light. It was a random misfire in cyl 1 and 4.

I put new plugs in and no change.

I'm going to change 1 coil and see what happens.

Any advice is welcome.

Thx

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The miss is steady and consistent all the time. This was all of a sudden and has never happened before.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, cyl1 and cyl4 are on the same rear coil over cyl4. I remove the power plug to the coil as the car is still running and it runs the exact same. Seems the power to the coil or the coil is bad.

I guess I could swap coil and that would lead me to either the power to the coil or the coil.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the previous post, I pulled the power coil to the plug for cyl 1 and 4. The car ran the same. I pulled the power to the coil for cyl2 and 3 and the car died immediately. That means either power to that rear coil or the coil is bad. I swapped the coils around and pulled the power. The car died on the opposite cyl so the coil is bad. The other coil worked fine on the bad coils power supply.

I'll put a new coil in her. $110/pop for a single coil. Oh well.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
$158 each at dealer

$110 each at autozone auto parts store

$78 at BAC import car parts for Bosch

$50 each new online Ebay.

Just ridiculous.

·
Registered
2017 VW GTI Autobahn / (Gone) '02 SLK32 AMG
372 Posts
Usually a flashing CEL after fueling is a leaking gas cap. Weird that your coil died at that time...

EDIT: Sorry, that is a flashing Fuel Low light.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1st things I checked was the gas cap. It has had its share of issues getting stuck. It was fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts