Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently been tasked with storing my Father-in-laws SL that was purchased new by his dad in 1972. It is Horizon Blue with dark navy blue soft top, dark navy blue hardtop, & navy interior. Runs and drives great despite having 277,XXX miles on it.

List of to do's
- Fix torn & faded carpet, cracked center console, ripped vinyl door cards, misc interior bits
- Fix aftermarket stereo
- fix burned out dash bulbs, broken tach, broken oil pressure gauge
- repair rust on left front fender, in trunk
- replace rear suspension bushings
- rebuild steering rack
- replace rear main seal, oil pan gasket
- replace transmission pan gasket
- Have it professionally painted

I'll keep this thread updated with progress and updates. I've already started on many of the above projects so I'll get photos and details added as I have time.

Attachments

·
Registered
394 Posts
That’s quite a list, and I would put all major repairs on hold until you determine how bad the rust really is. Get underneath it, tear up the carpets, look everywhere. Might not be worth putting money into.

Beautiful car though. I believe that paint is single stage, so you should be able to bring it back to a nice shine with a buffer and some compound.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It'll never be a concour show car so I'm not planning to put a ton of money into it. Rust is pretty limited since it was always stored during the winter. I've pulled up all the carpets and looked behind all the panels. The main issues are the left front fender & the trunk above the muffler. The floor boards have already been replaced at one point in the cars life. They aren't pretty, but they are solid so I'll make do.

It was also repainted at one point and it is not a good match to the original color in the door jambs and behind the door cards. It'll need a full respray to get it back to Horizon Blue.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Derel1cte,

Welcome to the forum - glad to have another D-Jet 107 on board. I have lots of documentation for that car as mine is a '73. PM me if you need any of this.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,839 Posts

I'll save rowdie a few clicks and tell ya you definitely won't be rebuilding any steering racks.:D

Replacing the steering gear? Maybe.

Lot's of info here. And this is a must read.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,594 Posts

I'll save rowdie a few clicks and tell ya you definitely won't be rebuilding any steering racks.:D

Replacing the steering gear? Maybe.

Lot's of info here. And this is a must read.
:big laugh: I have been here too long.

On another note did it originally have a black hard top?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ha yes, good point. I just redid the rack in my Land Rover, didnt think about that it’s a steering box in the SL. I think I just need new seals. Steering is tight without much play, but it leaks. Almost all the work I’m planning up front is to chase leaks. Now that I’ve read through some of that other post I need to check the control arm mounts too to make sure I’m ok there.

I’m not sure on the original hardtop color and I haven’t pulled any trim on it to see if it’s been painted. It looks really good with the dark blue top on the light blue car.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Derel1cte,

Welcome to the forum - glad to have another D-Jet 107 on board. I have lots of documentation for that car as mine is a '73. PM me if you need any of this.
Like Cush, I have similar car (72 350SL). Had it since 1989, so been through just about everything!

For rust, have a look under the battery tray as well as in the blower compartment. Also check firewall up under passenger side after removing ECU. These are common rust locations and not so easy to see. On my car, the first rust I saw was in the toolbox depression in the trunk and the front fender inner liners. Front of rockers are another spot.

Lots of good info on forum and in stickies (EGV107). When you get to engine, especially fuel injection and ignition, Cush and I and other several other Djet owners here can help you get her running like new :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all. I'm glad there is a lot of people willing to help on this forum. Kinda the opposite of what I have faced fixing up my Land Rover LR3. Every other reply in those threads is "take it to the dealer and see what they say"... not helpful.

Like i said. I've got a bunch of the interior projects complete already. Just need to find time to write up and post each project.

A quick easy one was the hubcaps. I think these would have been matched to the body color, but when I assumed care for this car they already had navy centers matching the tops and interior so i decided to keep it that way. Restoring this car is more meant to honor the choices of made by my grandfather-in-law rather than to return it to factory. I wonder if the car came with a light blue top and hub caps that he traded with someone with a Navy blue SL?

Before & After
(still trying to figure out external image links)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
That 2 tone scheme was more prevalent in the early years. I would not be surprised to see dark blue hubcaps and a dark blue hardtop. Meltedpanda on Peachparts forum had a '72 he called Pearl that had a 2 tone color scheme.

Seems to have gone out of vogue by the mid 70's.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,594 Posts
I asked if the HT was black because the hub caps looked black. Theory is the caps matched the HT color.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,594 Posts
I am not sure they have been Supporting Vendor that long. I just noticed it last month or maybe February.

Either way they are a pretty good company and you know it now.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
I am not sure they have been Supporting Vendor that long. I just noticed it last month or maybe February.

Either way they are a pretty good company and you know it now.
Yup... but at my age my memory isn't so good... so remind me again what is it that I know now? :smile

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The last 2 weeks have been spent on the interior. Initially I was just pulling up the carpets to make sure there was still solid metal underneath, but decided I should make things look nice before it all went back in. I wasn't going to spend a lot of money here. I know it can be perfect if i blow $2k on new carpets, console, dash, + other trim, but instead I spent $300 on new floor mats, sound deadening, & vinyl&upholstery dye. Add another $200 for stereo components and I'm all in a little over $500 for a very good looking and good sounding interior.

Cracked Console out:

Patching & Gluing console:

Dying Console:

Carpets & Seats out after dying (front floor mats were later replaced due to deteriorated backing and cracked heel pad):

Dying the carpets that were glued in since they would fall apart if i tried to remove them:

Carpet back in:

Repairing cracks in climate control panel:

Repairing cracks in door card pockets. Any plastic repair i did by using epoxy with fiberglass matting as a reinforcement backing:

Replacing door pocket lining. I used a $5 canvas drop cloth for the material. Looks great.

Finished product. Sorry about the lighting.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Derel,
Looks great. Can you send a link to the dye you used? And let me know how it holds up. I am debating doing the same to my cracked, faded mbtex seats and center dash console.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Derel,
Looks great. Can you send a link to the dye you used? And let me know how it holds up. I am debating doing the same to my cracked, faded mbtex seats and center dash console.
I used VHT Vinyl paint on the console and carpet:
https://www.amazon.com/VHT-SP950-Vinyl-Dark-Satin/dp/B000CPAVKW
It's holding up well and doesn't seem to transfer to skin or clothing after letting it dry for a few days and wiping it down with dishsoap and water.

And to repair the chunks of missing vinyl I used JB Weld Plastic Weld Putty

https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-8237-PlasticWeld-Plastic/dp/B003S2E4UE

If I were to do it again, I would add a coat of flexible filler over the top of the plasticweld to make the transition from original vinyl to putty filler less noticeable.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts