Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SLK had some wind noise at the right-hand side window since I bought it 5 years ago. By contrast, the driver side window is completely quiet at any speed. Strangely enough, several other people had reported the same problem and always on the same side. I finally got to the point that I decided to fix it and here are the steps.

The tools used can be seen in the first picture. The measuring caliper is not essential, but does speed up the job considerably. You would also need a 3 mm hex, a T8 torx, an 8 mm flat or short box and a small Phillips (star) screwdriver.

I first measured the gap between the large window and the small window on the quiet side. This is probably not essential, but does provide a base line for the adjustment. In my case, the gap was about 2mm (3/32 inch) more on the noisy side than on the quiet side.

To get to the adjusting screw, I used the attached PDF kindly provided by member Yggdrasil. The relevant information is on pages 3 and 4. Note that the upper cover on page 3 has to be slid out towards the front of the car, since there is an interlocking tab that goes under the cover running from side to side around the roll-bars. Also make sure that you don't drop any screws - you'll never find them again! Note that you don't need to do all the steps on page 4. I did not remove the weather seal (rubber gasket) on the outside. I also could not find any Phillips screw under the rubber. That is however not required, since I just tilted the PVC panel up at the front. That provided sufficient space to get to the adjustment screw. On pages 5 and 9 you can see the adjustment screw next to the window mounting screws.
This adjustment screw is actually a stop screw that limits the travel of the small window. In my case I needed the small window to travel more, so that the gap is decreased, so I had to 'unscrew' the adjustment screw (turn anti-clockwise). I did one full turn at a time, then put up the roof and measured the gap again. In the end, it took 4 full revolutions of the screw before the gap was the same as on the quiet side. I then took it for a quick run on the freeway and it was quiet up to 100 Mph!! Pure bliss. :D

When re-assembling take care that all the tabs are fitted in the correct way. It is a bit like assembling a jig-saw puzzle, there are more interlocking pieces than meets the eye: a 'spacer' tab between the PVC panel and the side where the 8mm screw fits, a tab which slide in underneath the rear roll-bar panel, the carpet between some tabs on the lower end of the top cover and even the small end-cap into grooves on the door frame rubber. If you don't do it properly, you may now hear some new rattles in the absence of the wind noise. :D
I took me a leisurely hour to do all the work. Level of difficulty: about 1 out of 10. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
I'll add this to the tech tips sticky, thanks Kobus.

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes SLK 230 Kompressor
333 Posts
Excellent Kobus:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yes, I forgot to mention. Clean the rubber on the small window properly and put some Aerospace 303, or equivalent, on before you start putting the window up and down. The reason for this is that you are now going to run the window over rubber that has been exposed to the elements for a long time, so it may be gritty and scratch the window. Probably unlikely, but why take the chance.

·
Registered
SLK32
891 Posts
Great info Kobus.

My car has the same problem on the driver side. I just have a quick question, the adjustment screw controls the horizontal or a vertical movement? Looking at your post it looks like its horizontal movement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts