Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 S500, 07 S550 AMG
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up whoever has this issue.

If you have the issue like me, where you can't fill your tank unless it's at the slowest pump speed before the gas pump thinks you have a full tank, you maybe in luck.

The issue seems to be the charcoal canister valve FILTER. I read it's usually the valve but it is highly possible just cleaning the filter will do the job.

It is located inside the rear wheel well on the gas cap side.

Jack up the car by the rear tire (on the side) and remove the tire.

Get a 10, 11 and 12 mm socket and pliers for removal of the vacuum line clamps.

You don't have to completely remove the wheel liner. Simply remove the 3-4 screws facing the rear of the car in the liner and fold the liner halfway to get access to the caniser.

Once the liner is out you can easily remove the canister and the evap vacuum lines.

The top of the canister has the valve. You can twist it and it will de-attach from the canister.

Between the Canister and Valve there is a filter. If the filter is black that's a good sign. Take the filter and clean it with some dish soup while scrubbing by hand. Push the valve pin in and out a few times to make sure it's not stock and clean it with water. Shake the canister a few times to make sure charcoal is in there and put everything back together.

Go to the gas station and fill up. STOP on the first click. If you're still not able to fill up then your canister or valve need replacement.

Good luck

Pics for attention

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 S550 (W221)
6 Posts
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I can't fill the gas tank as the pumps keeps shutting off. There is not error code or check engine light. I'm really hoping that the filter needs cleaning and that the solenoid valves are working fine.

Do I need to remove the entire charcoal canister to take the filter out or can I just twist off the filter valve with the canister still attached to the car? That would make the job a lot easier if I can do that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts