1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
clk 230k
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello dudes and dudettes,

just a word of warning,

i recently bought a clk 230k which looked great inside and out but done 118k miles. test drive was fine but using it after i was getting really poor MPG like around 15-17 town, motorways.

further inspection on a ramp showed that the previous owner has a new cat installed but it seems the fitter couldnt fit the lambda sensor back properly so welded it in and put some exhaust paste around it.

i have had it removed and had a new 'boss' welded in and a new lambda sensor put in. cost me £90 for the work plus the sensor.

its like a new car, faster and now does 24mpg. i only had it fitted yesterday and drove 4 miles so im sure its got more to give. it drives better, faster, quicker and sounds better.

maybe this is why the previous owner sold the car as it became slower and thirsty after the new cat.

a bad mechanic will ruin your car.

have fun peoples

bavsta:)

·
Registered
R230 SL350 Presnt, Past - W208 CLK230K 2000, W203 C Class, W202 C Class, W210 E Class, W201 190E
1,471 Posts
great to hear you have the car sorted, I have the same car and recently have experienced a massive improvement in speed and mpg by cleaning some blocked engine nozzles and buying a new MAF. After reseting the car and throttle the car was simply electric, I mean rocket performance and for a car with 130K its mental the performance I get out of her.
For me and not exagerating, London mpg should be around 14-19mpg, town and motorway 20 to 24mpg and full motorway, well lets just say I drove from Luton to Glasgow in 3/4 tank and enjoyed every min of the ride. You should get 33 - 40 mpg and im not exagerating here.!

·
Registered
clk 230k
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks A1ek,

Firstly, your car looks sweet. respect.:thumbsup::bowdown:

Maf was next on my list to do. which one did you fit? Bosch (£220) or cheaper europarts one (£88)? some say the cheaper ones need replacing sooner/ not as efficient. Any recommendations?

How do you unblock engine nozzles? i put some injector cleaner in my tank when i got it. not sure if it really did anything

i want to get wheels and susp done but only once the car is mechanically sound. cashflow is tight at the moment, just had a baby girl and have a 2 year old boy hence wanted a fast car with back seats!!

Do you have any tyre wear issues on your brabus rims? mines on immaculate stock 16" and my wifes golf rides on 18's so my wheels are a bit embarrasing! got to get something soon.

Bavsta

·
Registered
R230 SL350 Presnt, Past - W208 CLK230K 2000, W203 C Class, W202 C Class, W210 E Class, W201 190E
1,471 Posts
Thanks A1ek,

Firstly, your car looks sweet. respect.:thumbsup::bowdown:

Maf was next on my list to do. which one did you fit? Bosch (£220) or cheaper europarts one (£88)? some say the cheaper ones need replacing sooner/ not as efficient. Any recommendations?

How do you unblock engine nozzles? i put some injector cleaner in my tank when i got it. not sure if it really did anything

i want to get wheels and susp done but only once the car is mechanically sound. cashflow is tight at the moment, just had a baby girl and have a 2 year old boy hence wanted a fast car with back seats!!

Do you have any tyre wear issues on your brabus rims? mines on immaculate stock 16" and my wifes golf rides on 18's so my wheels are a bit embarrasing! got to get something soon.

Bavsta
Firstly congrats on your kids ! , you reasoning behind getting the CLK was exactly the same as mine as I have two kids and also wanted a coupe that had decent propper rear space. Also the economy was a factor as you well know in the UK with petrol costs and I had read that the CLK 230K was more economical then the CLK 200. I test drove a 200 non Kompressor and boy oh boy without being too nasty to those who have one, the car is so far removed from the 230K, as the car feels sluggish and theres no delicous sling-shot kick and whine from the supercharger. The 2.3 engines works less hard and with the supercharger gives the performance you need with the benefit of being the most economic.

As for the MAF I decided to buy the replacement Euro-carparts £80 inc VAT one. I know what your thinking about wether it will last etc, but as for the performance right now its night and day to my old one and the item is garaunteed for a year too. MAF's have really come down in price as when I had my old W210 E-Class it costs me £300 !
By the way I checked the website and the Bosch one on Euro Car parts is only £155 and if you do what I did and reserve on line and collect from store or get it free delivered, you can get the Bosch with 30% discount as you spend over £100 . I bought the replacement part and added a cabin filter and polish to get to £100 and in total it only cost be £70 for the lot so I saved £10 and got the other bits free !

As for tyre wear my car is fine. Its lowered by 30mm on Eibachs and my rears look very aggressive with ultra neg-cambre but its just its exagerated due to 9.5J wheels with 20mm spacers that take the wheels to the edge. My rear tyre wear is flat perfect. My fronts did wear a little on the inner edge but I have corrected that with off-set Brabus bots that fit to the bottom of the arms and allow them to sit in about 3mm enough to reduce the wear.
I also have 15mm spacers up front too.

As for the nozzles you will only need to do this if you find your MAF is getting covered in oil as this is the sign that they are blocked. If your MAF is clean and dry, then leave the car alone !

Goodd luck

·
Registered
1984 280SE Euro, 1988 300SE, 2000 SL500, 2002 CLK55 AMG
574 Posts
I might need to get my car checked as well. I usually average about 10-12 MPG on my CLK55 AMG (usually I only drive short distances, a couple miles from my house and back). Does that make sense, or should I get my car checked?

·
Registered
clk 230k
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi amg fanatic.

I noticed a huge difference from a new lambda sensor but that may have been because the old one was messed up during installation and not fitting correctly. It's improved my fuelling no end. Maf is next up due to age and mileage of my car.

Worth changing them if they are old or never been changed and your car is older and has a few miles under its belt. Can't do any harm.

I would love to try out an amg version some time! Enjoy your ride.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts