Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, it has been an ongoing saga for several forum members with problems in their ADS system.

I have a 93 600SEL with the ADS suspension option and the car rides very firm since I bought it, another clue is that the rear sits very high. I've learn from this board that when there is a problem with the ADS system it defaults to the firm mode which explains my stiff ride. However, my ADS warning light is not lit on the dash.

Garage #1- put the diagnostic computer on it and showed a bunch of error codes, technician clear the codes, took a test drive, still rode firm, check the codes and there were none. Was going to send it back for more detail diagnosis on later date.

Garage #2- staff by 30 year mechanic who is an expert on many makes, he suggest that we replaced the rear accumulators as first starting point to troubleshoot. He said you basically can not tell if they are bad unless you take them off to check, did that, they cost about $US90 each for two, put new one and immediately the car does not ride as firm and rear is lower height. I assume that fixed the problem since cars with ADS have different rear hydraulic shocks that are tied into the ADS system, not same as non-ADS cars. So since the rear shocks are behaving normally now perhaps it allows the ADS system to revert to normal mode from default mode.

Problem- I loaded about 60lbs of gear in trunk on ride home tonight and it rode firm again, I think it has more to do with the weight that is causing the new firm setting. Will report tomo after I drive without stuff in trunk.

Recommendation for guys with ADS problem, first area to troubleshoot is the accumulator since those typically fail after a while, much more often than rear shocks.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1995 S600 (sold)
1,127 Posts
I changed my pressure spheres last year asianbond. It did improve the ride a little bit, but not enough. Once it gets a little warmer, I will dig into this project again. I still need to get to my Comfort / Sport switch to test it. If that is not the problem, I will rig up a voltmeter to the individual damper valves to watch for input voltage levels. It should change while driving under different conditions.

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
Yes, bad accumulators are a well-known cause of a harsh ride. They function

as part of the spring of the suspension (an air spring, or rather the pneumatic part of the phrase "hydro-pneumatic" suspension). If they don't function properly, you've removed some of the shock absorbtion capability of the suspension.

I wouldn't think the ADS system would be defaulted to firm mode without the ADS lamp lit, but I don't for sure.

Brett

·
Registered
'07 S65 AMG '95 S600 '98 E430 '83 300SD '81 300D
111 Posts
I have recently replaced the accumulators on my '95 s600 (German market car). After the service, the ride is also very firm, with the comfort/firm button making no appreciable difference in the ride quality. I would be VERY interested in your testing results. I just don't think an s600 should ride like an M5. Something has got to be wrong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts