Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
08 E320 Bluetec
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
P2015 is an issue with the swirl motor (or intake manifold flaps).

On the Bluetec, these invariably will get utterly screwed up because of the design of the motor with the PCV oil vapors breathing into the turbo inlet, thus intake manifold. After time, the oil vapors/etc build up, and and either foul up the flaps, or the oil/gunk drips onto this swirl motor, and fries it. In either case, P2015, or some other code relating to this motor is thrown (position issue, or other).

After reading a bunch of threads on the Jeep forums, as well as on the Chrysler forums that use the same tech, everyone's consensus seems to be that:
1) this motor is more or less useless.
2) The benefits do not seem tangible.
3) No change in MPG after disabling
4) invariably, this motor will get screwed up on all these cars with same motor even if you fix it. If you fix it, you will be in the same boat in another 50-100k miles.

Herein comes the resistor mod. By pulling the electrical connector off of the swirl motor, and plugging in a 4.7k resistor (1/4 watt) into pins 2 and 3, the ECU is fooled into thinking that the swirl motor is ok, and the CEL will go away after a few engine start/stop cycles.

I have performed this, and it is working flawlessly.
Coincidentally, this also seems to work on the ML320 cdi (or any other MB CDI motor with this swirl motor).

Thanks to user Tim W. for sending me pictures on his install. It was very similar except for the direction of the cabling in his ML vs my E320.

·
Registered
None right now
124 Posts
My experience is that if the flaps are permanently in the open position, the car tends to blow soot out of the exhaust as the fuel does not burn efficiently at low RPM. When the system works as intended, there is much less exhaust soot when you accelerate.

I have read that remapping the ECU can resolve this issue as some of the European models do not have intake manifold swirl flaps.

·
Registered
08 E320 Bluetec
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll keep an eye on my bumper to see how bad it gets. Previously, I've never noticed any soot buildup on the back bumper. I'm curious now if this will begin to happen.

Regardless, curious if the less than complete combustion of all fuel will harm any downstream components. And if the net effect will be more than the $1-2k+ it costs to replace the swirl motor (and also possibly cleaning the gunk off the flaps in the case the motor failure/CEL was caused by too much friction or unability of motor to move the flaps) at the dealer. From what I read, dealerships have also been recommending that intake manifolds be replaced rather than cleaned. This turns the whole ordeal into a 2-3k job.

·
Registered
08 E320 Bluetec
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've attached Tim W.'s pictures he sent me here (ok'd by Tim).

He wanted to make a comment that electrical tape isn't a good long term solution to this problem as it doesn't perform under high heat.

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 E320 Bluetec
21 Posts
So I did this mod. CEL went right off, and I cleared the P2015 code. Took the car for a spin, but it still does not produce boost (around 2.5psi only). I checked for codes again, and now Im getting P2008 code. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
08 E320 Bluetec
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
P2008 is "Rail pressure sensor, fault code" per the code listed in the forum's sticky.

Perhaps you accidentally unplugged something during this process? Or broke one of the wires to a sensor?

·
Registered
2007 E320 Bluetec
21 Posts
Nope....just had a crappy resistor. Measured 4.4k ohms. I replaced it w/a good one, and now everything is fine - and Im getting full boost.

YOU ARE MY HERO!

·
Registered
08 E320 Bluetec
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Questions for you:

Did you have a lot of oil leaking into the air intake manifold going into the turbo? I need to replace both the turbo inlet rubber seal and the PCV rubber seal as both are leaking oil.

Did your car have a bunch of oil all over the swirl motor?

I'm considering installing a PCV oil catch can also.

·
Registered
ML 55 AMG 2002 w163.174, E320 CDI SW evo W211.222
50 Posts
flaps has to left open or closed?

hy very smart solution!!!
i replaced M55 motor 15.000 km ago and now after oil flooding due to oil cooler failure i'm waiting next failure of M55 that lived his poor life swimming into an oil pool.
From mercedes is a real delusion for moral and for wallet.

After disconnection of M55 motor and resistor fitting how did you left leverage for swirl flap? as it was when engine is off or you moved to opposite position?
bye thanks and compliment for smartness!
p

·
Registered
08 E320 Bluetec
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I left it with engine off position.

I do feel that low rev response is not as crisp as it was previously, but it could just be my imagination.

·
Registered
08 E320 Bluetec
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So some observations after running this fix for awhile:

1) Negative - Definitely seem to be rougher in the low RPM range.
2) Negative - Fuel mileage definitely seems to be less than previous. I would say ~1mpg in stop/start scenarios. I think this makes sense, as with the swirl motor open the whole time, the engine can't restrict enough air at low rpms
3) Positive - my wife and I used to comment about how braking to a stop was rough. After this mod, that rough braking seems non-existent. I think that swirl motor was involved in full engine brake, but now that it is stuck open, it doesn't shut off completely. Not great on mpg in that regard, but from a smoothness of applying brakes perspective, the feeling is quite nice now.
(It used to feel like, when I was feathering the brake to come to a smooth stop, that there was some other person suddenly applying EVEN MORE braking)
4) Definitely does seem to be blowing more soot out the back (not visible generally, except inspecting the back bumper/body panels)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good Solution

This write-up demonstrates what a valuable asset the forum is. One Mr Crowe seems to have done the original write up and I wanted to thank all including Tim.W for the photographs.

I installed a 2W 4.7K Ohm resistor today, encased the plug and resistor in cutting of silicon hose Now my 642 V6 E320 CDI is back running sweetly, no more hesitation or failure to deliver when the pedal is pressed in anger.

Saved over £3K on the quote from the MB dealer who wanted to change the swirl motor (inlet manifold shut-off motor) and the inlet manifolds.
Thanks again

·
Registered
6 Posts
Since you have had this mod done for a year now, are you still happy with it? Any new issues that have been noticed? I thing I am going to give it a try. I recently changed out my oil cooler seals and cleaned the intakes, flaps, everything. It ran great for a couple weeks then a shudder and surge on acceleration, then I guess it entered limp mode. I picked up a P2015, P2513, P2592, and P2025 the next morning. I took the intake off and looked at all the connections. Everything looked good, but I did see that oil had dripped into the swirl motor connection. I cleaned it out, put some silicon on the top and some foil to lead oil drips away and went for a ride. The car felt great for 3 blocks, then shudder and back into limp mode... I pulled the fuel filter out so I could reach the flap actuator rods. I couldn't move them at all, but that doesn't seem strange since the motor was off. Should they move when everything is assembled? They were really clean and moved freely when I put it all back together.
Very nice write up. I wish I had seen it before I did my oil cooler seal replacement.

Thanks, Rob

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did the resistor mod and after 5 miles, it seems to be working fine. I still have my CEL, but that probably won't go away until I have completed the hard to determine "drive cycle" so the onboard computer is satisfied that the condition has resolved itself. I am in California and it just happens that I have to get my car smog checked this month. I'll let everyone know if it passes with this mod. Here they do an exhaustive check with the car hooked up to a computer.

·
Registered
08 E320 Bluetec
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Still running well.

MPG is not so great for me, but it's never been as good as others have stated. I'm constantly running combined 24mpg. Pure hwy, I get 30/31. I fear my intake manifold is really getting caked up.

If I get enough time, I think I will clean out the intake manifold, and also do the elephant hose mod. I won't have to ever deal with caked up intake again.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts