Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
99 blue SLK230
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i finally replaced my MAF myself and saved about $400

---> THANKS TO BAZZLE and others help and instructions!! You guys rock!!

so that is done.. and then of course something else goes wrong lol..

so the ride is still erratic.. best thing i can compare it to is back in the day when i had my trans am and if the choke was too rich, the car ran hard and shook a bit.. well now my slk is shaking a bit too... almost stalled on me today..
but that's not it...

The FAN goes on immediately and stays on...

The alarm went off everytime i locked the doors, so i removed the fuse temporarily...

The air filter needs to be replaced which i ordered, but i doubt that would be the cause of what i am experiencing no??

I am at 65k and from reading my service book, i have not yet replaced the fuel filter, is that a problem and something that needs to be done??

OH.. and i found a guy that burned copies of the Mercedes technical service dvds (3 disc set) so i should have them by the weekend and it is the service system the MB mechanics use on the service computers!! so i'll let ya know how it works out and if anyone needs copies, let me know!!! They are only $40 plus s&h.. Can't beat that since MB sells them for $1200!!

Thanks in advance for help with my yet again problem SLK!!!
Kristin

·
Registered
1997, SLK 200
371 Posts
Hi,

the alarm going off is probably your PSE (see sticky on top of the forum). Check it for moisture. If it's broken I am sorry to say that it is expensive (had to change mine).

Air filter is cheap. Buy at a local store or at ebay.

The technical service dvd's are really good. Will help you a lot when removing and fixing.

·
Registered
1997, SLK 200
371 Posts
Bazel: have you ever tried the chinese made maf? I have one in stock, since my codes show a faulty maf. I do not feel any symptons, so haven't changed it yet. Just have it as a backup. Is it smart to install it? Anyone been lucky with the chinese made?

·
Registered
2008 ML350; 2001 SLK230 (traded in)
1,006 Posts
Myzt said:
Bazel: have you ever tried the chinese made maf? I have one in stock, since my codes show a faulty maf. I do not feel any symptons, so haven't changed it yet. Just have it as a backup. Is it smart to install it? Anyone been lucky with the chinese made?
Bosch only - will not give you trouble.

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
Myzt said:
Anyone been lucky with the chinese made?
Nobody has been lucky with the Chinese made...

·
Registered
1997, SLK 200
371 Posts
damn.. well, the one I have now doesn't appair broken to me, so will just have till it fails totally :)

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, 2000 S 430, 2003 ML270 CDI
291 Posts
Kristin, fuel filter change at 65 k is a wise thing to do. It may even contribute to the problems you have if it is clogged but more probably, if the MAF you installed, is not original Bosch, that may still be causing the trouble. Did you reset the throttle parameters after the MAF change?

·
Registered
1997 W210 E280 Avantgarde
28 Posts
Hi, what do you mean by resetting the throttle parameters. I changed my MAF on my w210 but only disconnected the battery for 5-10 minutes....

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
I tried 2 copy mafs, both were shit.
Only managed to get a refund on one.
Know others who had trouble too.
Only buy original Bosch , not one that says it is the same as :mad:

Bazzle

Myzt said:

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, 2000 S 430, 2003 ML270 CDI
291 Posts
satpanesar said:
Hi, what do you mean by resetting the throttle parameters. I changed my MAF on my w210 but only disconnected the battery for 5-10 minutes....
Disconnect the battery for 30 minutes or do a TBA Throttle body adaptation:

1. Get in your car, it doesn't matter if you close the door or not.

2. Turn the key to the on (not start) position, the position just before the starter
turns over.

3. Press the gas pedal to the floor with the key in the "on" position.

4. Hold the pedal to the floor for five seconds, then turn the key back
to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas
pedal.

5. Wait 2 mins. for a full alignment.

6. Drive the car as you always do.

·
Registered
99 blue SLK230
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Baz.. its this one: Item number: 300103195186 eBay Store - abcmarts Power Pro Products: TOYOTA CAMRY, HONDA ACCORD, ENGINE MOTOR MOUNTS is the MAF which comes with a 30 day return policy and a 1 year warranty...

I have not tried the throttle thing.. but i will...

also, what about removing the negative cable for 30 mins??

so i tried putting the fuse back in and the alarm almost blew out my ears!!! so that is still NOT working!!! plus now the doors are not unlocking from my key with the fuse out...

I will be replacing the fuel filter on monday as well as the air filter...

BUT WHY is my fan going ON and staying on???

thanks all!!
Kristin

·
Registered
2003 SLK32 AMG
120 Posts
Help us out here. What fan? Are you talking about the heater fan, or do you hear a humming noise from a specific location? The PSE pump will activate several devices that may be mistaken for a fan. If you clean or replace the PSE according to the "sticky," you'll still have to address the source of the water. The heater fan switch assemblies are susceptible to damage from spills from the cupholder. Has there been a spill onto the control console?

Stick with it. These cars can be quirky, but they are well worth the effort when they run correctly.

Finally, there is a great service department up in Wappingers Falls, NY (Friendly Motorcars). If you can get there easily from Tinton Falls, they may be able to help. I doubt there is an extended warranty left on your car, but my dealings with them have always been very positive and fair.

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
Add is not clear to me. Is there an MB number on sleeve and an Bosch number on insert?
For other issues check PSE as instructed .

Bazzle

eBay Motors: Meter Mercedes BENZ Mass Air Flow Sensor C230 SLK230 (item 300101313815 end time May-12-07 21:55:08 PDT)

kristinSLK said:
Hey Baz.. its this one: Item number: 300103195186 eBay Store - abcmarts Power Pro Products: TOYOTA CAMRY, HONDA ACCORD, ENGINE MOTOR MOUNTS is the MAF which comes with a 30 day return policy and a 1 year warranty...

I have not tried the throttle thing.. but i will...

also, what about removing the negative cable for 30 mins??

so i tried putting the fuse back in and the alarm almost blew out my ears!!! so that is still NOT working!!! plus now the doors are not unlocking from my key with the fuse out...

I will be replacing the fuel filter on monday as well as the air filter...

BUT WHY is my fan going ON and staying on???

thanks all!!
Kristin

·
Registered
99 blue SLK230
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bazzy.. the part is not a Bosch.. it had numbers on it, but its installed.. I did the throttle thing finn said to do... it seems to be running ok.. a little spurting when i turn the car on but my acceleration is back finally...

the FAN i am referring to is the engin fan... goes on within a minute after starting the car.. which should go on only when the car is hot right?? so why is it running ALL the time?!?

So am i gonna have to replace my PSE ya think?? My mom replaced hers and it cost $1500.. i can't afford that..
OR should i do what you did Baz and take it out, dry it and seal it?? or is it too late?

Thanks all!! Kristin
Why is it that German cars are the best when it comes to engineering but when it comes to electrical, they are for shit...

LUKEW: Thanks for that shop, however i am all the way down by the Jersey shore, by Monmouth Race track, so that would be one hell of a hike for me ;)

·
Registered
2003 SLK32 AMG
120 Posts
At this point, since the PSE sounds shorted, removal and cleaning can't hurt. You might get $1500 lucky. Also, when you take out all the spare tire and jack parts to reinstall the PSE and test it, you are 1/3 of the way to replacing it if the repair doesn't take. Basically, you could experiment on the old unit before you pony up the money for a new one. I think the actual part cost is around $500-600 and it is not terribly difficult to remove.

I don't recall another post from an owner having cooling fan trouble. I know a number of electrical issues can arise if the voltage from the battery is low. How old is the battery? Just about any parts store or service station could check the charging circuit. Perhaps just removing the connectors that Bazzle mentions and cleaning the contacts might help. Good luck.

·
Registered
99 blue SLK230
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well the car is at MB now and a warranty inspector is there as well because apparantly my ME Control Module is shot.. hence cauing the fan problems...

how the hell did this happen?? seems almost coincendental that my MAF which is right there goes and now the module... could it have been the module all along and my MAF was fine??

they also said the PSE alarm component has shorted.. so i will read your post Bazzle on removing, drying and sealing!!!

so that's that so far... i'm praying they cover the ME!!!

thanks guys!
Kristin

·
Registered
99 blue SLK230
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Bazzle
sorry to bother you, but you have been such a wealth of knowledge i trust your opinion...
MB is replacing my main computer but the pse is a little fried.. they are currently letting it dry out, so we'll see what happens, but the part that controls the alarm is fried or as they put it, "half the brain is fried". Do you think i can repair the "fried" part but doing what you did; drying and resealing? OR do you think i need to replace it??
Thanks so much for your help.. all these recent problems have been quite overwhelming ya know...

Kristin

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
kristinSLK said:
Hey Bazzle
sorry to bother you, but you have been such a wealth of knowledge i trust your opinion...
MB is replacing my main computer but the pse is a little fried.. they are currently letting it dry out, so we'll see what happens, but the part that controls the alarm is fried or as they put it, "half the brain is fried". Do you think i can repair the "fried" part but doing what you did; drying and resealing? OR do you think i need to replace it??
Thanks so much for your help.. all these recent problems have been quite overwhelming ya know...

Kristin
With electronics and connections the only way to know is to dry out, reseal and try it infortunately.
Looking doesnt tell you much unless you can see physical damage.

Bazzle

1 - 20 of 20 Posts