Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
SL320
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought 1998 R129 had panoramic roof on until last week.New Softop been fitted at some stage. Not used much, looks very new.
Roof goes down perfectly and everything including windows up ect OK.
When you put roof back up everything Ok until rear section goes down into holes ,it goes down into clamps and you can here it pulling down and looks OK, windows start to go up , go to top then go down again and rear section starts to go up and down, trying to reseat again starting that sequence.
If I release red button before windows go fully up light goes out , then drivers window manually up , still out , but as I put passenger window light comes on and stays on , when you move bongs go off.
If I keep quickly pressing red button it eventually stays out and its OK
I suspect its a micro switch or something not seating correctly
Advise needed please
Can you help
If it goes to an indepenedent will the computer show what the problem is?
Steve

·
Registered
03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320, 95 E320 cab, Tesla X, Ferrari 360, etc
949 Posts
Rear of soft top latches and releases or does not go down all the way

Recently bought 1998 R129 had panoramic roof on until last week.New Softop been fitted at some stage. Not used much, looks very new.
Roof goes down perfectly and everything including windows up ect OK.
When you put roof back up everything Ok until rear section goes down into holes ,it goes down into clamps and you can here it pulling down and looks OK, windows start to go up , go to top then go down again and rear section starts to go up and down, trying to reseat again starting that sequence.
If I release red button before windows go fully up light goes out , then drivers window manually up , still out , but as I put passenger window light comes on and stays on , when you move bongs go off.
If I keep quickly pressing red button it eventually stays out and its OK
I suspect its a micro switch or something not seating correctly
Advise needed please
Can you help
If it goes to an indepenedent will the computer show what the problem is?
Steve
Steve,

welcome to the forum! Thanks for your detailed description of the problem. Most shops would not know what to do with this case. A large number of shops would tell you to get a new soft top controller. Those shops with Star Diagnosis would eventually point at the front locks. Almost any shop would tell you to replace the front locks, because they don't know about the ultimately simple adjustment procedure below.

The key to the description is, combined with the new canvas, that the soft top will not close all the way - it reverses its closing cycle right after or shortly before the rear locks are fully latched. One of the locks does not give the controller the signal that it is fully locked, and that is what makes the chime go off. If a front lock signals that it is not locked while the canvas is going down in the rear, then the controller will reverse the closing of the rear bow until the front lock gives the proper signal.

Almost certainly, the problem lies in the micro switch(es) on one or both front lock cylinders needing adjustment. The new canvas is tighter than the old one, and it pulls the roof up a bit more in the locked front latches. The same thing would happen if folks replaced their front lock cylinders 1298001672 and accidentally bumped the lever on the front lock that triggers the micro switch.

Here is how to check whether it is one of those micro switches needing adjustment, and which one:

After the top has locked in the front, put the soft top tool (6-mm Allen wrench) into the front lock on one side, through the hole in front of the visor. Turn the wrench such that it locks even farther, taking the play out of the lock. That direction is different on the opposite sides, by the way. Holding the wrench in the far locking position, push the soft top button forward and check whether the top now fully closes in the rear with the windows going up afterwards.

Try the same on the other side.

If you find that holding the wrench on one side does the trick, then that switch needs adjustment. I will explain the procedure below and include some pics that should illustrate what I'm talking about. Once you know how to do it, it's quite simple! :)

(You might get away with only adjusting the prongs on your soft top, following the instructions in http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1602807-soft-top-front-lock-adjustment.html, but that would likely be only a temporary fix and eventually result in the chime going off every time you drive over a bump.)

Note that you need to re-install the windshield header panel before the top will operate on model years '95+. Also, be careful not to pull on the wires of the magnetic sensor that is mounted in the windshield header panel on model years '95+. See page 3 of http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/R129 Front Locking Cylinder Removal.pdf.

The micro switch on the front lock(s) gets pushed DOWN by a lever when the lock is OPEN. There is some reverse logic involved here, so take it slow and read very carefully.

As the lock receives the soft top in it and locks, the small lever that is pushing on the switch releases just enough for the switch to click open once the lock itself is in closed position. If the lever has been bumped or bent when the front locks were installed, or if the locks have developed play over the years, then oftentimes the lever is not pushing down far enough by the time the lock is in the final (resting) locked position. This resting position can be different from the locked position without the top being latched down by the lock.

In your case, you probably have to bend that lever up just a tiny bit (1 mm or 1/32 inch). This adjustment can be made without removing the lock. Remove the windshield header panel and adjust the lever above the micro switch until it barely touches the switch when the lock is closed. Note the play in the lock - you need to recreate the position the lock would be in if the soft top was closed and pulling up on the lock. This is shown in the third photo with the caption "Front lock in real life with the top pulling". Ideally, the boot of the switch will just start bulging when the lock is in the "real life closed position".

Hope this helps, and please let us know what you find,

Klaus

Top Hydraulics | Rebuilt and Upgraded Convertible Top Cylinders, Pumps, Hydraulic Lines - Top Hydraulics, Inc

·
Registered
SL320
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Klaus
Thanks for a really detailed response.:D
Will go and investigate your recomendation.
Will let you know the outcome
Regards
Steve:thumbsup:

·
Registered
SL320
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
roof problem

Klaus
Many thanks for your fantastic reply and very detailed info on how to check and fix the fault.
It was the front passenger side top bow micro switch as per your email.
I moved the roof position and alltered the top prong on that side.
The fault seems to have gone away , the windows now funtion correctly as well.If it comes back I will remove top section as detailed and bend lever.
Yes its the new roof that is very tight.
Fantastic:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Regards
Steve

·
Registered
949 Posts
temporary fix vs permanent

transcup,

I'm glad this worked for you. To summarize, the new, tight canvas and possibly new gaskets aka weatherstripping in the front have exposed the need to adjust the micro switch on one of the front locks eventually. The top wouldn't malfunction if the micro switch position was still within its allowed tolerance. You were able to temporarily fix the problem by making the new soft top not sit as tightly on the windshield header. That was achieved by moving one of the soft top prongs forward as per pic below. Moving the prong forward a little loosens the top above the windshield, and moving back tightens it up.

At some point, you may find that the chime goes off when you drive on bumpy roads. You can then do another temporary fix by moving the offending prong backwards a little to increase tension on the front again, but eventually you will have to bump the lever on the front lock micro switch as described before.

Klaus

Top Hydraulics | Rebuilt and Upgraded Convertible Top Cylinders, Pumps, Hydraulic Lines - Top Hydraulics, Inc

·
Registered
2 off R129 SL 500's (SL1 & SL2); W219 CLS 500; W220 S 500; W126 300 SE; SOLD - W203 C200 Kompressor
164 Posts
Hi can anyone please help _ have a R129 1992 model with a bow closing problem - on the closing sequence at the point where the soft top storage compartment closes the bow makes a very slight attempt as if to close but does not close. Once ever so often it might close or if one pulls the bow down to the closing position it will lock in place. I have tried bleeding the solenoid cylinder, and ensure the micro switch on the Left Bow extension cylinder is not bent but it still does not close. Also note the bow opens with out any problem but it is the closing action that does not work. Also about 2 year ago I had sent the Roof Controller to BBA reman to repair. This problem began occurring about 6 months ago. Can anyone please help. Much appreciated, Regards, Roger

·
Registered
949 Posts
Roger,

have you tried the following, described in post # 2 below?
After the top has locked in the front, put the soft top tool (6-mm Allen wrench) into the front lock on one side, through the hole in front of the visor. Turn the wrench such that it locks even farther, taking the play out of the lock. That direction is different on the opposite sides, by the way. Holding the wrench in the far locking position, push the soft top button forward and check whether the top now fully closes in the rear with the windows going up afterwards.

Try the same on the other side.
Klaus

·
Registered
2 off R129 SL 500's (SL1 & SL2); W219 CLS 500; W220 S 500; W126 300 SE; SOLD - W203 C200 Kompressor
164 Posts
Klaus the problem I have is the bow is not closing - or are you saying I am to adjust micro switch A25S2 to enable the bow to close. At the point in the sequence where the bow is to close and the softop compartment is already closed you see the cover make a pulled down action although it is already closed and the bow does not close ?? help please !!

·
Registered
1998 SL320 V6 Panoramic
1 Posts
Just a quick thank you to Klaus for this highly informative post, following his instructions I have just corrected the same flashing red soft top light issue on my vehicle. The adjustments required are very small as Klaus said. 20 minutes work to save a fortune, thank you so much.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Congrats on saving lots of money

Just a quick thank you to Klaus for this highly informative post, following his instructions I have just corrected the same flashing red soft top light issue on my vehicle. The adjustments required are very small as Klaus said. 20 minutes work to save a fortune, thank you so much.
Williamjohnhunt,

thanks for the feedback. Your response helps the search engines, and it gives others confidence to try this simple adjustment. As you said, the adjustment needed is usually tiny - on the order of a millimeter (1/32"), and it usually requires bending up the metal lever by about that little. If you bend it too far, then the switch will never register the open position. Thus, read first and try to understand how the mechanism works with its reverse logic.

Easy does it, in tiny steps, so that you can undo any errors you may have made.

This adjustment takes care of most cases where the chime goes off when you are driving, or when it beeps after you go over a bump, or when the rear bow (soft top section with the rear window) will not go down all the way. Holding the front locks closed with the soft top tool or the Allen wrench as described in post 2 below is key to figuring out whether a front lock micro switch lever adjustment will make any difference.

Klaus

·
Premium Member
1992 500 SL
100 Posts
1992 500SL. Just paid to have front soft top hydraulics (?) replaced in prep for new soft top. Upon completion, indy reported soft top ceased opening (and closing) at point in process just prior to top going into rear compartment and compartment cover still open. Of course...
this never occurred prior to the repair. I have tried to associate the repairs listed here with my problem. I'm not able to.

·
Registered
949 Posts
1992 500SL. Just paid to have front soft top hydraulics (?) replaced in prep for new soft top. Upon completion, indy reported soft top ceased opening (and closing) at point in process just prior to top going into rear compartment and compartment cover still open. Of course...
this never occurred prior to the repair. I have tried to associate the repairs listed here with my problem. I'm not able to.
lweljwel, your problem appears different from the original subject of this thread.

Please clarify which hydraulic parts have been replaced - you should know since you paid for it.

Also, please clarify whether the top is stopping at exactly the position shown in your photo only on the way up, or whether that is the exact stopping point when opening, as well. The latter would be unusual, and the first case is usually traced to a compromised micro switch on the left bow extension cylinder.

Lastly, has the top been replaced already?

It will be difficult to help you without an answer to these questions - please don't spare us any details.

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com

·
Premium Member
1992 500 SL
100 Posts
#1. The driver side and passenger side front hydraulic units top of windshield, replaced yesterday. By this morning, the small unit between those two atop the windshield had "sprung a leak" dripping through interior lights at top/windshield onto seats and console. I am relating facts at this point.

#2. It was shown to me that top from open position (inside trunk compartment) will begin to "close" but halt at the position show in the photo. I was told the same spot stops in the "opening" maneuver, but I didn't witness it. I am confident the top opened and closed fine prior to this repair, despite the leaking driver side hydraulic.

#3. The top was replaced over ten years ago at dealer in Pleasanton, Ca. No problems ever.

Thank you for your quick response. Is there any other info I can provide?
I have been instructed to return to the Indy tomorrow for the replacement of the 3rd hydraulic unit and "diagnostics" of electronics relating to the operation of the top. I have owned the car since new; 143900 miles; runs GREAT.
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
1992 500 SL
100 Posts
Klaus ..not sparing any details. ...I could go into garage right now..top is closed. ..
and attempt to "open" it and see what happens, ie, does it stop at the same spot in the opening cycle.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Klaus ..not sparing any details. ...I could go into garage right now..top is closed. ..
and attempt to "open" it and see what happens, ie, does it stop at the same spot in the opening cycle.
Thanks for your previous reply with a lot of detail, and I'm looking forward to learning where the top stops in the opening cycle.

Will try to respond in more detail tomorrow - it's been a long day.

Klaus

·
Premium Member
1992 500 SL
100 Posts
Klaus. Have a good evening..what's left of it. Looking forward to your response. I'll hold off on the Indy till then.
Thanks, Lynn

1 - 20 of 45 Posts