Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12-CLS63/04-CLK55 AMG/03-CLK320 Conv SOLD/01-ML430 Good Riddance/01 E320 wagon RIP
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fell victim to the dreaded stuck rear seat on my 2001 E320 Estate. The seat belt got caught in the latch and from that point it would not release. The attached is what I did to repair the release mechanism which was much easier that I expected.

I have always been worried about messing with upholstery but it turns out this is not very difficult and not very risky either. In the end I was able to remove enough of the rear seat cover to expose the latch, fix the release and put it back together without damaging the upholstery.

View attachment e320 fix rear seat.pdf

·
Registered
2000 E320 Estate. 45K miles as of 1/1/09.
22 Posts
Looks like a good write-up, thanks! I think my latch might be rusted to the "strike" loop on the wheel house due to dog drool dripping down from the lever area. I'll let you know if I have any success...

·
Registered
12-CLS63/04-CLK55 AMG/03-CLK320 Conv SOLD/01-ML430 Good Riddance/01 E320 wagon RIP
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you can pull the release handle all the way up but the seat does not release than most likely the mechanism is bent inside the seat. Rust could have been the cause but from what I can tell, if the latch is stuck for any reason and you pull than handle too hard something has to give and in my case it was a piece of metal inside the latch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Actually, I pulled the handle so hard that it broke off the outer edge of the trim piece, so the handle no longer bears on the mechanism. I'm trying to figure out if the outer edge uses a cable, like the inside, or a rigid rod?

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
If you look one side is controlled by cable, the other by the rod. MB spent two hours and then told me that if they ruin the seat cover they would have to replace it. I did not let them do it, I did entertain using a cable saw or a recipro saw to saw the loop. I miss the folding function and will attack it or sell the car

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
If you look one side is controlled by cable, the other by the rod. MB spent two hours and then told me that if they ruin the seat cover they would have to replace it. I did not let them do it, I did entertain using a cable saw or a recipro saw to saw the loop. I miss the folding function and will attack it or sell the car sometime

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've toyed with the idea of cutting the latch loop as well, but I wonder how much that compromises safety? Currently, my 2 year-old son rides in that position. It would only apply to a front impact, and it seems like the seat belt is what "holds" you in. I'm probably under-thinking and over simplifying...

·
Registered
Mercedes E430 estate
3 Posts
Mercedes E430 stuck rear seat

My nearside rear seat is stuck in the up position and I have read the 'How
to fix a rear-*‐folding seat' which is good. However, when trying to 'remove the plastic top cover, just pull straight up' it wont budge. Its held really rightly by something I can't see or release. Any help with this please??

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Assuming the headrests and posts are out there is nothing else to release. The top cover might just need a little more prying

·
Registered
Mercedes E430 estate
3 Posts
Mercedes E430 stuck rear seat - success!

I got the plastic seat top off, but there were several clips with lugs which hung on tightly, one broke. Having removed the top, the rest was straight forward. Having removed the lever mechanism (handle now broken), I can't see why it wouldn't release. The other seat release is fine and really easy to use. This one has always been very stiff. Can't see why.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The scary part is peeling the leather off the upholstery. Be very careful around the corners. The leather is edged in thin cardboard, so if you are too quick or rough, it could tear right off making it difficult for the leather to have a smooth, tight factory appearance again.

I actually wound up replacing the whole latch mechanism, which was rusted by dog drool. Caliber Anaheim had it in stock for a good guy price of around $47.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts