Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some might read my topic about the job I did on the car after bearing balls left by PO in the oil pan jammed oil pump. I did put "new" oil pump, replaced timing cover, replaced injection pump gears, put new seals, hose, serpentine belt only to discover that invisible with other leaks before, I do have leaky head gasket. It is not a big leak and I still drive with it, but I lost my heart for the car and am in the process of buying W210 diesel.
Too bad it become visible after all that money and time I spend and the car after resetting injection timing performs really excellent with 292k on it.
I could fix the HG for about $200 parts and day of work, but knowing the reputation of 114 heads, I wonder what other surprises I could find on my way.
I see few of those diesels on CL for days not selling really well, so even after fixing it I would not get much for it.
So how is the market for used parts? The only things that don't work on the car are clima flappers (have new diaphragms for elements) sunroof, CC and antenna.

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
It looks like a very nice example of the model. It sure would be a shame to part it out, but the climate control rebuild and a headgasket are two rather large projects for most DIY types. I'd try to locate another MB lover nearby who will take it on as a working project. A head is probably ready for a full or medium rebuild at 290k, and you may encounter some nastiness similar to mine. These pics were taken of a #14 with 205k

Attachments

·
Registered
36,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Bad news is that I see at least 2 of such projects in Bay Area and they are not selling.
Other project I figured out is buying 1995 300DT with crashed front and put the 87 front on it. One close by can be bought for $1800, but lately I am busy professionally and even my winter months are always slow, I don't really want to plan that far.
AC on old car is very efficient even on default flappers, so I am fighting economical sense v/s my admiration for those cars.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yeah, but you don't have a fan clutch--you've told everyone about 1,000 times.

I guess that's the deal you make with posting on Benzworld--everyone on Benzworld knows what's wrong with your car. You can't put lipstick on a pig here--well at least get away with it. Fix it and keep it.

·
Registered
36,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I do. It is still standing against garage wall with the fan from other car.
I, or my son could probably drive the car the way it is for few more years, but leaving oil stains on the driveways is not a good option for us.

·
Registered
36,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is what I see. The mix of coolant and oil drip from the corner above chain tensioner. That is intermittent and seems to happen only on cold engine. There is small trace of oil in coolant. No bubbles.

·
Banned
1991 560sl / 1987 300TDT / 1995 E300D / 1994 S350D / 1993 300SD /Cummins Diesel PU /2 airplanes
861 Posts

I guess that's the deal you make with posting on Benzworld--everyone on Benzworld knows what's wrong with your car. You can't put lipstick on a pig here--well at least get away with it. Fix it and keep it.
Please don't exaggerate ...I think it's only been about 900 times,;)
I think fans are there to help cool an engine.....just a thought. We all make mistakes, only a few admit them.

Pity about the car though, replacing the head gasket without doing a valve job and surfacing etc... is such a waste of time on an engine with 292k, in my opinion...but some people do that kind of work.

I'm sure Kajtek1 will figure out what to do on his own and good luck to him.

·
Registered
36,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Funny I do that to others and now you guys do it to me. Each time somebody post a picture of an item laying on the table, I comment that table needs coat of paint :D
Right now I am occupy with the trip to Connecticut to pick up W210.
At this point I will hold on W124 till later time. The car is still usable and I always have slow time in my business in winter, so maybe than I take the head off and examine it.
Unless someone will make me good offer on major parts from the car that is.
From what I see on CL is the W124 diesels don't sell in Bay Area at all, so even making it running perfect might still not sell it. Than spare cars never bother me.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,407 Posts
Picking up a W210 in the rustbelt seems like a foolish idea, considering that W210s are genuine rustbuckets especially the spring perch failure syndrome.

BTW, there is no such thing as a 1995 300DT, at least in the USA. The only diesel powered W124 in 1995 was the E300 DIESEL using the OM606 sans turbo. Outside the USA, there WAS a turbo OM606 powered W124 but it is a very rare species using a low pressure turbo.

Truth be told, I'd rather do 3 headgasket jobs before even thinking about tackling a spring perch failure.

·
Registered
36,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right on 1995 model. I just typed from the memory. The W210 I am going to pick spend most of its life in Texas. Corrosion is the same on all cars. Our present 1998 model spend 8 years of its life in snow belt and there is no corrosion spot on it. It was pampered and probably kept in the garage. Last week I was trying to buy the same 1998 year from Malibu. The car kept whole life in California, but close to the beach had rust hole on top of the trunk about 4" diameter.
New perch installation is about 20 minutes job plus about 1 hr getting to it. I gladly trade the work with you on the headgasket ;)
And again it is not the headgasket that make me giving up on the car, but the high potential of more problems with the head.
The oil pump job I did weeks ago on W124 started with $130 for used pump and ended up about $500 in material cost plus about 50 hr of my work. That was cheap because new parts would exceed car value.
So even with my high sentiment to W124 craftsmanship, keeping the car economically makes less and less sense.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,407 Posts
New perch installation is about 20 minutes job plus about 1 hr getting to it. I gladly trade the work with you on the headgasket ;)
Perhaps, but I'll be the first to admit that paint & body are my least favorite areas to repair on a vehicle. I avoid paint & body whenever possible and leave it to the professionals. The problem is finding a paint & body shop that really knows what they're doing without taking shortcuts.

I'm just much more confident on the mechanical side of things.

Besides, cancer is cancer and once it starts you can never really get rid of it. You're just chasing the rust gremlins without ever able to exterminate them with extreme prejudice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts