Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Fix A Fire Wall Throttle Linkage Pivot Bushing 84 300D

8K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  300Dman 
#1 ·
The for the fix comes from badgator over on peach parts but he did not give details nor pics.
"I used a pvc pipe fitting I had in the garage, using the metal bracket outside, ID worked, OD had hex? to hold in center, cut off to fit length, probably cost .69 cents.
All it has to do is center the throttle shaft in the bracket and not bind."

Also the part has several names it is called by and this is some of them:
84 300D W123 Fire Wall Throttle Linkage Pivot Bushing Part 123 300 13 40
Firewall Throttle Linkage 84 300D, Accelerator Linkage Pivot Mount,
Mercedes-Benz Pivot Mount - Accelerator Linkage,
Mercedes W123 240D 300D 300CD 300TD OEM Throttle Bushing 123 300 13 40 Part #:
123 300 13 40

The 3/4th inch PVC Pipe Plug cost was $1.20 and you will need some suitable epoxy and a 5/16" drill bit if you do not have a 8mm Drill Bit. The Bushing comes hollowed out on one end.

The exterior rubber part on mine was OK so I am not fixing that. The plastic ball however was falling apart. Mine has 2 black bushings inside of the Plastic Ball that came out easily and you need those.

Some of the instructions are on the pictures. Pic of the parts.

I used the 2 black bushings and I oiled the back shaft on the drill bit so glue would not stick to t and I glued the 2 Black Bushings together to make it easier to assemble later.

What you end up with when the glue has dried.

I centered the black bushings in the hollow area of the Pipe Plug. I filled in the empty area with slow curing JB Weld. I used the slow curing because it will flow down into the empty area. The fast setting epoxies might not flow down to the bottom before it starts to set.

There is no picture of this. When the Epoxy was cured I used the 5/16" drill bit I inserted the bit into the black bushings which acted as a drill guide and drilled the hole all the way through the Pipe Plug.

5/16" leaves the hole a little too tight so I used a small pocket knife and enlarged the hole only in the PVC pipe plug plastic. Then I inserted the Pivot Shaft and worked it around till it was as loos as it should be.

I inserted the Pipe Plug into the metal mount with a little glue under the lip to hold it while handeling.

When that dried I flipped it over and filled in the area around the Pipe Plug with JB Weld slow curing Epoxy. Also in the picture you see I had found a Washer to take up the space of the protruding shaft.

Finished but notice that the collar is thicker on the Pipe Plug. However it causes no issues.

I installed it and test drove it with no issues. Will have to drive a longer amount of time to be sure.

Metal Iron Household hardware Circle Still life photography
Finger Product Wire Nail Cable
Finger Chemical compound Silver
Finger Product Wire Nail Cable
Finger Chemical compound Silver
Household hardware Metal Aluminium Nut Silver
Product Liquid Cylinder Silver Cable
Text Font Circle Number Photo caption
Circle Metal Household hardware Silver Fastener
Composite material Lock Cable Padlock Strap
Engine Pipe Metal Automotive engine part Automotive fuel system

See less See more
#6 ·
That's pretty sound looking fix, honestly. And readily available. Hell, I think I already have everything I need for it.

Well, I found a fix. It's pretty funny.
Yesterday I took delivery of a 300D knowing I'd have to put some work in. It has 91K on the odometer, and has some Socal weathering, but all in all it's going to be a great driver as I was able to peep the vin and ran a carfax which showed about $3k in regular maint stuff three years ago and was basically a one family owned car its whole life and I could reasonably assume this to representative of how it was cared for.
When the seller and I were out on a test drive earlier in the week it wasn't producing much power. Like at all. Felt like a very cold start then trying to take off just with idle speed at one point, but had zero blow by. Checked under the hood after crawling away slowly then really jumping up a steep hill to see what was up as this made me think linkage issues over fuel filter, and this is what I found.

Notice the length of the hose they used. Not only was the black rubber bushing delaminated badly enough that it couldn't handle the torsional load across the axis, but that hose was pushing the arm forward so the parallel linkage arms on top of the valve cover were running into each other. She managed to handle well enough on the freeway though, and I borrowed one from our other 300d, which will be for sale after we sort the new one out.

I've ordered a new 1233002325 bushing and a handmade polyurethane pivot bushing and should be good to go, but this was too rich not to share. After the new part went in, she took off happily, and then presented me with a blown fuse, just to let me know that it wouldn't be so easy to figure her out. I'm in love.

#7 ·
The for the fix comes from badgator over on peach parts but he did not give details nor pics.
"I used a pvc pipe fitting I had in the garage, using the metal bracket outside, ID worked, OD had hex? to hold in center, cut off to fit length, probably cost .69 cents.
All it has to do is center the throttle shaft in the bracket and not bind."

Also the part has several names it is called by and this is some of them:
84 300D W123 Fire Wall Throttle Linkage Pivot Bushing Part 123 300 13 40
Firewall Throttle Linkage 84 300D, Accelerator Linkage Pivot Mount,
Mercedes-Benz Pivot Mount - Accelerator Linkage,
Mercedes W123 240D 300D 300CD 300TD OEM Throttle Bushing 123 300 13 40 Part #:
123 300 13 40

The 3/4th inch PVC Pipe Plug cost was $1.20 and you will need some suitable epoxy and a 5/16" drill bit if you do not have a 8mm Drill Bit. The Bushing comes hollowed out on one end.

The exterior rubber part on mine was OK so I am not fixing that. The plastic ball however was falling apart. Mine has 2 black bushings inside of the Plastic Ball that came out easily and you need those.

Some of the instructions are on the pictures. Pic of the parts.
View attachment 2669881

I used the 2 black bushings and I oiled the back shaft on the drill bit so glue would not stick to t and I glued the 2 Black Bushings together to make it easier to assemble later.

View attachment 2669882

What you end up with when the glue has dried.

View attachment 2669883

I centered the black bushings in the hollow area of the Pipe Plug. I filled in the empty area with slow curing JB Weld. I used the slow curing because it will flow down into the empty area. The fast setting epoxies might not flow down to the bottom before it starts to set.

View attachment 2669885

There is no picture of this. When the Epoxy was cured I used the 5/16" drill bit I inserted the bit into the black bushings which acted as a drill guide and drilled the hole all the way through the Pipe Plug.

5/16" leaves the hole a little too tight so I used a small pocket knife and enlarged the hole only in the PVC pipe plug plastic. Then I inserted the Pivot Shaft and worked it around till it was as loos as it should be.

View attachment 2669888

I inserted the Pipe Plug into the metal mount with a little glue under the lip to hold it while handeling.

View attachment 2669889

When that dried I flipped it over and filled in the area around the Pipe Plug with JB Weld slow curing Epoxy. Also in the picture you see I had found a Washer to take up the space of the protruding shaft.

View attachment 2669890

Finished but notice that the collar is thicker on the Pipe Plug. However it causes no issues.

View attachment 2669893

I installed it and test drove it with no issues. Will have to drive a longer amount of time to be sure.

View attachment 2669899 View attachment 2669881 View attachment 2669882 View attachment 2669883 View attachment 2669882 View attachment 2669883 View attachment 2669885 View attachment 2669888 View attachment 2669889 View attachment 2669890 View attachment 2669893 View attachment 2669899
Wow thank you very much ,These works absoloutly good , I took me a bit but I did it and it works

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.